    than Windows media player.

    Thanks.
    darkknight
    darkknight, Apr 8, 2006

  2. darkknight

    rupert Guest

    rupert, Apr 8, 2006

  3. darkknight

    thingy Guest

    darkknight wrote:

    > Anyone know a good free media player for Win XP that would be better
    > than Windows media player.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > darkknight

    www.webattack.com

    look under freeware, audio/video section.....winamp jumps to
    mind.....but there should be a few options....

    Quite a lot of tools on there are good.....then there is the shareware
    section.....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 8, 2006
  4. darkknight

    juicyjuice Guest

    been a fan of winamp since v1.6
    www.winamp.com

    juicyjuice, Apr 8, 2006
  5. darkknight

    Shane Guest

    darkknight wrote:

    > Anyone know a good free media player for Win XP that would be better
    > than Windows media player.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > darkknight

    I downloaded and installed mplayer on windows the other day
    (Truth be told I still havent worked out how to use it on windows though!)
    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 8, 2006
  6. darkknight

    Peter S Guest

    > Anyone know a good free media player for Win XP that would be better
    > than Windows media player.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > darkknight

    Apple iTunes and Winamp.
    Peter S, Apr 8, 2006
  7. darkknight

    mario Guest

    I use Quintessential Media player for music and VCL media player for
    movies. Both are freeware.

    mario

    mario, Apr 8, 2006
  8. darkknight

    k Guest

    darkknight wrote:

    > Anyone know a good free media player for Win XP that would be better
    > than Windows media player.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > darkknight

    VideoLAN: http://www.videolan.org/

    VLC is a free cross-platform media player.

    * It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the
    need for additional codecs ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html )
    * It is available for almost every OS
    * It needs little CPU power

    The best, hands down :)
    k, Apr 8, 2006

    One of the best is VLC (www.videolan.org). it will play anything nearly

    Craig Whitmore, Apr 8, 2006
  10. darkknight

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 11:25:17 +1200, rupert wrote:

    > whats wrong with windows media player?

    Same as top posting eh? There are better ways of doing things.

    Gordon, Apr 8, 2006
  11. In article <>, says...

    > VideoLAN: http://www.videolan.org/
    >
    > VLC is a free cross-platform media player.
    >
    > * It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the
    > need for additional codecs ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html )
    > * It is available for almost every OS
    > * It needs little CPU power
    >
    > The best, hands down :)

    It is stable now, then? When I tried it out (long time ago, admittedly) it
    tended to some very hard crashes (hard reset or even powerdown required to get
    system back to work).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 8, 2006
  12. darkknight

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > "darkknight" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Anyone know a good free media player for Win XP that would be better
    >> than Windows media player.

    > One of the best is VLC (www.videolan.org). it will play anything
    > nearly

    Agreed. Including things that people can't seem to get to play with any
    other player. (Going by user-comments on bittorrent forums).
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2006
  13. darkknight

    MarkH Guest

    darkknight <> wrote in

    > Anyone know a good free media player for Win XP that would be better
    > than Windows media player.

    I use MPlayer and VLC, both are considerably better than Windows Media
    Player (or WMP Classic).

    One reason I hate WMP is the need to find Codecs all the time, MPlayer and
    VLC handle that stuff themselves and work with pretty much anything (even
    ..mov).

    A while ago I was trying to watch some .avi files with a stuffed aspect
    ratio, WMP would not let me stretch the video output to make it look right,
    nor would Power DVD, so I changed to MPlayer (by getting the MPlayer
    frontend to pass the -nokeepaspect switch) and never looked back.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Apr 8, 2006