  1. Does anyone know where to pick up a good all-in-one printer? I am on the hunt
    for one with stand alone fax. I know Dell has an A964 all-in-one. The problem
    is I need one quick. Like go down to the nearest Wal-Mart quick!
    =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=, Dec 18, 2005

  2. I have to recommend my HP PSC 2355 - it doesn't have Fax, but I am sure they
    have models in the line that do.

    Currently works with a 'Pre-Beta driver (unsupported!) that's available from
    PlanetAMD64. Do note! - Not everything from HP works with these drivers.
    They have a kind of compatibility data-sheet on their site, may not be easy
    to find.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Sorry, - HP has (or, had) the data-sheet on their site!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 18, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I haven't heard of any that fax, yet, but Brother for one has a couple with
    64-bit drivers (not beta) so you could copy and use the Windows fax program
    to send it.

    John Barnes, Dec 18, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    Lenard Lund Guest

    just a dumb question on that can you fax from a standalone Win XP x64
    computer attached to a cable modem with no fax modem is the software
    there as part of the initial install or does something else need to be
    added. This is a problem I am working on right now.

    Lenard Lund, Dec 19, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The fax program is part of x64, but I can't check right now. I am sure you
    can install it in add/remove programs then add/remove windows components to
    make sure Fax services is checked and installed You can find it in
    accessories, communications, fax There you can set up your fax info and
    use the console to send faxes.
    If I recall it is pretty simple and straight forward with help if necessary.
    Uses wizards for simplicity. You would need a telephone connection thru a
    fax modem, I am sure, but am sure someone else here has more info. I
    haven't needed to use it in x64 so haven't set it up but did make sure it
    was installed. The Brother software will not install on x64, only the
    drivers for printing and scanning. Lexmark was the same.

    John Barnes, Dec 19, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    Lenard Lund Guest

    I was hoping to get away without installing a fax modem, no problem,
    which fax modems work with 64 bit windows the driver would have to be 64
    bit right??

    Lenard Lund, Dec 20, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have VOIP you probably can get by without a modem. You just need a
    means of reaching the telephone circuits. There have been several mentioned
    here previously that aren't too expensive, including serial port ones (if
    you still have a serial port) and some cheaper PCI modems. I personally use
    a US Robotics full modem with fax as it is the only access for me. My
    USR5610B worked out of the box.

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    Rick Guest

    Check the Brother MFC-420CN:

    MFC-420CN
    6-in-1 Color Inkjet Multi-Function Center® (Fax/Print/Copy/Scan/PC
    Fax/PhotoCapture Center®)

    And according to the info at:

    http://global.solutions.brother.com/Library/en_us/download/dlf001554/mfc420cn_us_4_27.html

    the software has everything for Win x64.

    Rick, Dec 20, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Looks like a great solution. 64-bit software wasn't available when I bought
    mine. Still going to need a telephone connection either thru VOIP or direct
    modem.

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    John Barnes Guest

    With a built in modem, this would seem to be the best solution. For me,
    alas, the 92mb download would take a week on my modem. ;-((

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2005
  12. If we'd all team up, we could each post a 20k text-encoded attachment for
    you here, John.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 20, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    Rick Guest

    Just like we used to do with Radio Shack TRS-80s!!

    Rick, Dec 20, 2005
  14. These are anecdotes to me, my father (92 today), was the first that I
    personally knew to have a stab at the computer-age. He started with a
    Sinclair z80, cassette for storage - he was struggling, I guess, and wasn't
    very communicative about his advances, but the inhibitive computer resource
    restrictions in the pre-www days had people dream up lot's of useful stuff,
    like posting binaries that way, that's true.

    'Self-modifying-code', as one prime example! Who could have any use for such
    a thing today?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 20, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:07:51 +0100, "Tony Sperling"
    <> wrote:

    >'Self-modifying-code', as one prime example! Who could have any use for such
    >a thing today?

    Virus-makers?

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Dec 20, 2005
  16. Yes, you are right, I wonder, though, if that isn't of a different league
    altogether, from what it used to be? The original concept involved having
    the program start from the same starting-point every time. Virus's go off
    when they attack, they evolv, and they are not going back. (I think).

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 20, 2005