    anyone had problems with this first generation? Any firmware updates needed?
    Thanks for any info.
    Oscar

    Oscar, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Oscar

    pward Guest

    "Oscar" <> wrote in message news:<HFrhb.175050$>...
    > The digital rebel has been out a few weeks and still salivating for one. Has
    > anyone had problems with this first generation? Any firmware updates needed?
    > Thanks for any info.
    > Oscar

    Hi Oscar,

    There have been some problems reported over at the EOS 300D forum on
    dpreview.com The problems seem to be related to AF problems and
    sensor/viewfinder misalignments. The problems don't seem to be
    consistent though - not all cameras suffer.

    There are currently no firmware updates available.

    Paul

    pward, Oct 10, 2003

  3. > There have been some problems reported over at the EOS 300D forum on
    > dpreview.com The problems seem to be related to AF problems and
    > sensor/viewfinder misalignments. The problems don't seem to be
    > consistent though - not all cameras suffer.
    >
    > There are currently no firmware updates available.

    Also, there have been reports of underexposed flash pictures and lack of
    flash compensation (not a bug but it is a consideration). My 300D works
    well.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Oscar

    Lisa Horton Guest

    pward wrote:

    > "Oscar" <> wrote in message news:<HFrhb.175050$>...
    > > The digital rebel has been out a few weeks and still salivating for one. Has
    > > anyone had problems with this first generation? Any firmware updates needed?
    > > Thanks for any info.
    > > Oscar

    > Hi Oscar,
    >
    > There have been some problems reported over at the EOS 300D forum on
    > dpreview.com The problems seem to be related to AF problems and
    > sensor/viewfinder misalignments. The problems don't seem to be
    > consistent though - not all cameras suffer.

    There are quite a few people on DPReview reporting alleged problems with
    their Rebels. I suspect that more than a few of these problems are due
    more to inexperience and lack of familiarity than to any inherent
    problem with the Rebel.

    I've been using a Rebel for a couple of weeks, and I've had no problems
    with AF, no problems with flash that aren't normal for a Rebel class
    camera, no sensor/viewfinder misalignment problems, etc.

    There seems to be something in the DPReview culture that encourages
    people to suspect their cameras rather than themselves for any
    unsatisfying results. Unfortunate, really.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Oct 10, 2003
  5. Oscar

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Lisa Horton <> wrote in

    > There seems to be something in the DPReview culture that encourages
    > people to suspect their cameras rather than themselves for any
    > unsatisfying results. Unfortunate, really.

    I guess it's because they feel a $1000+ camera makes them a great
    photographer : )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Oct 10, 2003
  6. Oscar

    Tim O'Connor Guest

    "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    > There are quite a few people on DPReview reporting alleged problems with
    > their Rebels. I suspect that more than a few of these problems are due
    > more to inexperience and lack of familiarity than to any inherent
    > problem with the Rebel.

    I agree - Ive had no problems - In fact Im amazed at how fast the AF is - I
    was expecting to be dissapointed, coming
    from a Nikon F100. To be honest there doesnt seem a lot of speed difference
    between the two.

    > There seems to be something in the DPReview culture that encourages
    > people to suspect their cameras rather than themselves for any
    > unsatisfying results. Unfortunate, really.

    Im the opposite - I ALWAYS suspect myself, until proven otherwise. This is
    based on many long years of user error :)

    Tim O'Connor, Oct 10, 2003
  7. Oscar

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Lisa Horton <> wrote:
    >I've been using a Rebel for a couple of weeks, and I've had no problems
    >with AF, no problems with flash that aren't normal for a Rebel class
    >camera, no sensor/viewfinder misalignment problems, etc.

    Well, I dunno. I was trying to take a picture of the moon at night
    through the leaves of a tree with a 300mm lens and the darn autofocus
    just wouldn't work.

    :)

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Oscar

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:

    > Lisa Horton <> wrote:
    > >I've been using a Rebel for a couple of weeks, and I've had no problems
    > >with AF, no problems with flash that aren't normal for a Rebel class
    > >camera, no sensor/viewfinder misalignment problems, etc.

    > Well, I dunno. I was trying to take a picture of the moon at night
    > through the leaves of a tree with a 300mm lens and the darn autofocus
    > just wouldn't work.
    >
    > :)

    I've got one word for you Ray, TRIPOD :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Oscar

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Ray Fischer, says...
    > Well, I dunno. I was trying to take a picture of the moon at night
    > through the leaves of a tree with a 300mm lens and the darn autofocus
    > just wouldn't work.

    Gee, I would expect to have to use manual focus and a tripod for a shot
    like that, with any of my cameras. Doesn't sound like a Digital Rebel
    problem at all.

    Mark Spatny, Oct 20, 2003
  10. Oscar

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Mark Spatny <> wrote:
    >Ray Fischer, says...
    >> Well, I dunno. I was trying to take a picture of the moon at night
    >> through the leaves of a tree with a 300mm lens and the darn autofocus
    >> just wouldn't work.

    >Gee, I would expect to have to use manual focus and a tripod for a shot
    >like that, with any of my cameras. Doesn't sound like a Digital Rebel
    >problem at all.

    It was supposed to be humor. Nobody should expect a camera to
    autofocus under such conditions.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 24, 2003
  11. Oscar

    Samuel Paik Guest

    (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > Mark Spatny <> wrote:
    > >Ray Fischer, says...
    > >> Well, I dunno. I was trying to take a picture of the moon at night
    > >> through the leaves of a tree with a 300mm lens and the darn autofocus
    > >> just wouldn't work.

    > >Gee, I would expect to have to use manual focus and a tripod for a shot
    > >like that, with any of my cameras. Doesn't sound like a Digital Rebel
    > >problem at all.

    > It was supposed to be humor. Nobody should expect a camera to
    > autofocus under such conditions.

    It depends on what you expect to be the meaning of expect.

    *grin*

    Sam

    Samuel Paik, Oct 25, 2003
  12. Oscar

    jas1746 Guest

    I had no problems with the AF on the moon with a 300mm lens. I did
    have to go to manual when I went to the 2x teleconverter, but that was
    expected.

    Oh, I was using a tripod.

    JAS

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:48:29 GMT, (Ray
    Fischer) wrote:

    >Lisa Horton <> wrote:
    >>I've been using a Rebel for a couple of weeks, and I've had no problems
    >>with AF, no problems with flash that aren't normal for a Rebel class
    >>camera, no sensor/viewfinder misalignment problems, etc.

    >Well, I dunno. I was trying to take a picture of the moon at night
    >through the leaves of a tree with a 300mm lens and the darn autofocus
    >just wouldn't work.
    >
    >:)

    To reply by e-mail remove the ? from my address.

    jas1746, Nov 15, 2003