Any fujifilm finepix f810 users? (or e550)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Henley, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    How are you finding it?

    I think I am starting to overcome my reluctance to buy cameras that
    use XD cards, eventhough they (the cards) are far more expensive than
    CF or SD cards, and here's the reason; Olympus and Fujifilm use XD
    cards, and their cameras appeal to me.

    I was really impressed with dpreview review of the fujifilm f810, in
    particular how well it performed at iso 400 against the casio p600 or
    the olympus 8080.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/page7.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/page9.asp

    It has full manual exposure including shutter, aperture, iso, white
    balance, and focus, and as such could be a very nice compact camera
    for available light photography. Of course a CMOS SLR would be best,
    but I don't want the expense or size, given that photography, although
    pleasurable, is a lower priority for me than other considerations in
    my life. The F810 has AF-assit, which the E550 doesn't, and therefore
    the F810 would be my preference for low light photography, eventhough
    it has the slight disadvantage of using a proprietary battery.

    My reservations about it are the following:
    1) the lens isn't really fast enough, especially at telephoto end. The
    other camera i could consider is the panasonic fz20 (obviously a
    different class), but that camera has the disadvantage of an above
    average image noise, especially at higher ISOs. I personally want a
    general use camera with full manual settings and excellent image
    quality. Other issues are secondary.
    2) I'm not entirely sure what the issue is with RAW format on the
    fuji. It seems to be limited according to reviewers, but they don't
    seem to elaborate much on that. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to
    manipulate RAW images from the Fuji and to what extent?
    3) I haven't yet considered the 7mp CCD cameras, which are said to
    have better noise than the 8mp ones. Main cameras here would be canon
    s70 or the Olympus c7000, both are more expensive than the fuji. But
    seeing DCRP reviews of the Canon S70 and the Fujifilm E550, it seems
    the fujifilm does much better at iso 400.

    Mike Henley, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Mike Henley

    Mark Dunn Guest

    I'm with you on media price. How many cards does a person need anyway?

    Mark Dunn, Oct 26, 2004

  3. "Mark Dunn" <> wrote in news:2u7mbaF25cdfcU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > How many cards does a person need anyway?

    At least one BIG one is nice to keep in the camera at all times. It's also
    nice to have a backup. Frequent travel bugs may need more, unless they
    travel with a laptop of some other type of portable storage.

    --
    Bill

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Mike Henley

    JohnR Guest

    "Woodchuck Bill" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark Dunn" <> wrote in news:2u7mbaF25cdfcU1@uni-
    > berlin.de:
    >
    > > How many cards does a person need anyway?

    > At least one BIG one is nice to keep in the camera at all times. It's also
    > nice to have a backup. Frequent travel bugs may need more, unless they
    > travel with a laptop of some other type of portable storage.
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    I would not recommend this. Although rare, if that one big card failed, you
    could lose photos. I'd use smaller cards. If one is lost, only some photos
    are lost. It has never happened to me, but I've seen a faulty card reader
    damage photos and I friend of mine lost 70 photos (saved only 7) from his
    vacation.
    John

    JohnR, Oct 26, 2004