    than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    that doesn't?

    Doc, Nov 30, 2007

  2. Doc

    Rôgêr Guest

    Re: Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on thedisk?

    Doc wrote:
    > I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
    > than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    > leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    > that doesn't?

    I ran jkdefrag and the first pass it made a lot of changes but left some
    gaps. I ran it again and it filled the first of the disk with all the
    data and no gaps, just one big empty wasteland toward the end of the disk.

    Rôgêr, Nov 30, 2007

  3. Doc

    Leythos Guest

    Re: Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk?

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Doc wrote:
    > > I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
    > > than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    > > leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    > > that doesn't?

    > I ran jkdefrag and the first pass it made a lot of changes but left some
    > gaps. I ran it again and it filled the first of the disk with all the
    > data and no gaps, just one big empty wasteland toward the end of the disk.

    If you read about Defrag and implications of performance, having all the
    files packed with no games is almost always a performance penalty due to
    how things change as you continue to use the system.

    JKDefrag has a method that will leave blank space between Directories,
    Data and Large files.... That seems to be the optimal method.

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Nov 30, 2007
  4. Doc

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Doc wrote:
    >>> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
    >>> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    >>> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    >>> that doesn't?

    >> I ran jkdefrag and the first pass it made a lot of changes but left some
    >> gaps. I ran it again and it filled the first of the disk with all the
    >> data and no gaps, just one big empty wasteland toward the end of the disk.

    > If you read about Defrag and implications of performance, having all the
    > files packed with no games is almost always a performance penalty due to
    > how things change as you continue to use the system.
    >
    > JKDefrag has a method that will leave blank space between Directories,
    > Data and Large files.... That seems to be the optimal method.

    I'm not a big believer in defragging. In fact, I ran jkdefrag more as an
    experiment. I have several computers that have never been defragged and
    I can't really tell the difference in performance.

    Rôgêr, Nov 30, 2007
  5. Doc

    Plato Guest

    Doc wrote:

    > I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
    > than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    > leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    > that doesn't?

    There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
    your time finding something new.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 30, 2007
  6. Doc

    Leythos Guest

    Re: Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk?

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> I ran jkdefrag and the first pass it made a lot of changes but left some
    > >> gaps. I ran it again and it filled the first of the disk with all the
    > >> data and no gaps, just one big empty wasteland toward the end of the disk.

    > > If you read about Defrag and implications of performance, having all the
    > > files packed with no games is almost always a performance penalty due to
    > > how things change as you continue to use the system.
    > >
    > > JKDefrag has a method that will leave blank space between Directories,
    > > Data and Large files.... That seems to be the optimal method.

    > I'm not a big believer in defragging. In fact, I ran jkdefrag more as an
    > experiment. I have several computers that have never been defragged and
    > I can't really tell the difference in performance.

    And I can assure you that on a system that is badly fragmented that it
    makes a huge difference. Not every person will benefit from it in a
    manner they can feel, it's dependent on how you use your system, drive
    space free, and fragmentation levels before you defrag.

    Leythos, Nov 30, 2007
  7. Doc

    nobody > Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Doc wrote:
    >> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
    >> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    >> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    >> that doesn't?

    > There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
    > your time finding something new.

    Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any significant
    fragmentation) than JKdefrag. Seems to lay out "tracks" for better seeks
    as well.

    http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ (author's site)

    nobody >, Nov 30, 2007
  8. Doc

    Plato Guest

    nobody > wrote:

    > >> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
    > >> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    > >> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    > >> that doesn't?

    > > There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
    > > your time finding something new.

    > Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any significant
    > fragmentation) than JKdefrag. Seems to lay out "tracks" for better seeks
    > as well.

    So what. Set defrag to run before you go out to do your wash.

    Plato, Nov 30, 2007
  9. Re: Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk?

    Plato wrote:

    >> > There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
    >> > your time finding something new.

    >> Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any significant
    >> fragmentation) than JKdefrag. Seems to lay out "tracks" for better seeks
    >> as well.

    > So what. Set defrag to run before you go out to do your wash.

    This is a good example of the unfortunate (and spreading) attitude that
    instead of the desire for and respect for tight code, efficiency and
    compactness in software, the refrain becomes "I have lots of speed and
    memory so shit software is fine with me".

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 30, 2007
  10. Doc

    VanguardLH Guest

    "nobody" wrote in message news:...
    > Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any
    > significant fragmentation) than JKdefrag.

    Your computer is really that busy while you are sleeping?

    VanguardLH, Nov 30, 2007
  11. Doc

    Plato Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > >> Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any significant
    > >> fragmentation) than JKdefrag. Seems to lay out "tracks" for better seeks
    > >> as well.

    > > So what. Set defrag to run before you go out to do your wash.

    > This is a good example of the unfortunate (and spreading) attitude that
    > instead of the desire for and respect for tight code, efficiency and
    > compactness in software, the refrain becomes "I have lots of speed and
    > memory so shit software is fine with me".

    OK. Good point. Personally tho, defrag is something you run before you
    go to sleep. Just a difference of opinion I suppose.

    Plato, Nov 30, 2007
  12. Re: Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk?

    Plato wrote:

    >> > So what. Set defrag to run before you go out to do your wash.

    >> This is a good example of the unfortunate (and spreading) attitude that
    >> instead of the desire for and respect for tight code, efficiency and
    >> compactness in software, the refrain becomes "I have lots of speed and
    >> memory so shit software is fine with me".

    > OK. Good point. Personally tho, defrag is something you run before you
    > go to sleep. Just a difference of opinion I suppose.

    My comment wasn't limited to - or really directed at - defraggers (or you
    any more than any other guilty party <g>); it was about the
    general phenomenon of everyone having so much CPU speed, RAM and drive
    space today that good code isn't a goal anymore.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 30, 2007
  13. Doc

    On Nov 29, 8:20 pm, Doc <> wrote:
    > I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
    > than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    > leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    > that doesn't?

    http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/05/great-defrag-shootout-viii-jkdefrag-v38.html

    I know nothing myself about this utility, just FYI.

    , Dec 1, 2007
  14. Doc

    Mitch Guest

    In article <47507636$0$19309$>, Plato <|@|.|>
    wrote:

    > > > There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
    > > > your time finding something new.

    > So what. Set defrag to run before you go out to do your wash.

    It's a good point that people are a little too complacent in
    criticizing Redmond CRAP, and a little too ready to forgive really
    STUPID mistakes on Redmond's part.

    Mitch, Dec 1, 2007
  15. Doc

    Mitch Guest

    Re: Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk?

    In article <47508e8a$0$19358$>, Plato <|@|.|>
    wrote:

    > OK. Good point. Personally tho, defrag is something you run before you
    > go to sleep. Just a difference of opinion I suppose.

    You're right about the user approach -- this isn't something you should
    be sitting to watch happen. Macs are set up to do such maintenance at 3
    AM (automatically and without acks / responses).

    Mitch, Dec 1, 2007
  16. Doc

    Mitch Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > My comment wasn't limited to - or really directed at - defraggers (or you
    > any more than any other guilty party <g>); it was about the
    > general phenomenon of everyone having so much CPU speed, RAM and drive
    > space today that good code isn't a goal anymore.

    Isn't it just amazing that program code has bloated so much?
    I just checked a decompression tool (as an example of a simple set of
    instructions).
    It used to take up something around 50KB file size, for very few types.
    It today takes up 11.4 MB, for a few dozen types.
    RAM usage is probably more of a difference.
    It doesn't seem to be any faster (it is being used on larger files, of
    course).

    Mitch, Dec 1, 2007
  17. Re: Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk?

    Mitch wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> My comment wasn't limited to - or really directed at - defraggers (or you
    >> any more than any other guilty party <g>); it was about the
    >> general phenomenon of everyone having so much CPU speed, RAM and drive
    >> space today that good code isn't a goal anymore.

    > Isn't it just amazing that program code has bloated so much?

    I suppose it was predictable with the dying off (or perhaps "dilution"
    would be a better description) of the tight-excellent-code component of
    the hacker ethic. Now it's just get-it-out-the-door with no place for
    code elegance.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 1, 2007
  18. Doc

    Gordon Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    > I suppose it was predictable with the dying off (or perhaps "dilution"
    > would be a better description) of the tight-excellent-code component of
    > the hacker ethic. Now it's just get-it-out-the-door with no place for
    > code elegance.

    I don't think that's the main reason - in the old old days of the IBM XT the
    developer had to write applications that ran in 640k RAM and off a 5.25"
    floppy.....
    Now with 4GB RAM easily available and 400 GB HDDs common, there's no need
    for discipline in code writing....

    Gordon, Dec 1, 2007
  19. Doc

    Mitch <> wrote:

    >In article <47508e8a$0$19358$>, Plato <|@|.|>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> OK. Good point. Personally tho, defrag is something you run before you
    >> go to sleep. Just a difference of opinion I suppose.

    >You're right about the user approach -- this isn't something you should
    >be sitting to watch happen. Macs are set up to do such maintenance at 3
    >AM (automatically and without acks / responses).

    I started using a program Process Guard, and found that Xp defragger
    runs when your system is idle, no screen or suggestion it's even
    running. Never knew that before.
    --

    Animaniacs: on Geography
    www.5min.com/Video/Animaniacs-a-Fun-Lesson-on-Geography-919923

    , Dec 1, 2007
  20. Doc

    "" <> wrote:

    >On Nov 29, 8:20 pm, Doc <> wrote:
    >> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
    >> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
    >> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
    >> that doesn't?

    >http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/05/great-defrag-shootout-viii-jkdefrag-v38.html

    >I know nothing myself about this utility, just FYI.

    Just downloaded and tested JkDefrag
    http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

    I'm sold, as I always prefer stand alone programs. With the command
    line switches I can set it to defrag anyway I want. Nice program.

    Hdtune is pretty decent as well.