Any free VoIP internet-phone calling left ?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by suburbperson@hotmail.com, May 12, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'd like to know if there are any free Voice Over IP (VoIP) services
    left whatsoever. even if they're limited to USA-to-USA long distance
    calling.

    I got broadband for the first time in early 2002, in Feb or March (I
    had DirecTV DSL) and soon after, I discovered Net2Phone -- which at
    the time, was offering totally free USA-to-USA calling from the
    internet to any phone, for 5 minutes at a time. later that year, they
    changed it to 2 min at a time (which made it very limiting), and
    shortly after that, all free service from Net2Phone was gone.

    I also learned of DialPad during that time, but by the time I learned
    of DialPad, they were not offering anything free.

    In retrospect it seems that I discovered free VoIP /
    internet-to-telephone calling, at the tail end of its existance. I
    completely missed out on DialPad's totally free long distance calling
    (I even heard that it used to be free world-wide calling, was that
    true?)

    I have not looked around very hard the last year or so for any free
    services that might have popped up. there probably are none, but just
    maybe ?
    , May 12, 2005

    www.skype.com
    Clark W. Griswold, Jr., May 12, 2005

  3. Guest

    I have skype and yes that is free for PC-to-PC calling, like many other
    (lower quality) services.

    what I am after, is free PC to *TelePHONE* calling.
    , May 12, 2005
  4. wrote in

    > I have skype and yes that is free for PC-to-PC calling, like many other
    > (lower quality) services.
    >
    > what I am after, is free PC to *TelePHONE* calling.

    Vonage is about the closestthat's what I'm using now as a landline.
    Just Plain Insane, May 12, 2005
  5. >what I am after, is free PC to *TelePHONE* calling.

    I'd be surprised if you could find anything. Sending calls to the
    phone network costs real money, and the dot.com free money bubble
    is long over.

    There's plenty of services that will do outgoing calls pretty cheap,
    like 2 cpm. Skypeout is an obvious choice, although I've had voice
    quality problems with them.

    If you plan to make a whole lot of calls, one of the flat rate plans
    from a VoIP carrier like Broadvoice or Packet8 would probably be your
    best bet.

    R's,
    John
    John R. Levine, May 12, 2005
  6. wrote:

    >what I am after, is free PC to *TelePHONE* calling

    Well, since telephone companies charge just over a penny a minute for accepting
    calls from other telephone companies (including internet ones), you are unlikely
    to find a free service that stays free very long.
    Clark W. Griswold, Jr., May 12, 2005
  7. Dmitri Guest

    wrote:

    > I'd like to know if there are any free Voice Over IP (VoIP) services
    > left whatsoever. even if they're limited to USA-to-USA long distance
    > calling.

    I can imagine there might still be a few (privately supported) gateways
    that let you get out into a particular area code/zone, but I seriously
    doubt there will be a service that lets you get out anywhere you want.

    > I have not looked around very hard the last year or so for any free
    > services that might have popped up. there probably are none, but just
    > maybe ?

    Well, with telecommunications industry trying to re-invent itself as a
    PROFITABLE line of business, you might expect any FREE service to shut
    down rather than pop-up
    I would suggest that you get one of those $9.99 plans that most every VoIP
    provider sells and then upgrade if you chronically go over your 300
    minutes.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.telecom.tech,alt.internet.free-services,alt.consumers.free-stuff - messages and counting
    Dmitri, May 12, 2005
  8. David Lesher Guest

    Are there any Skype-ish services that offer DTMF out? We have people
    try and call us, but they then can not get intact DTMF tones to our
    PBX to reach anyone.

    --
    A host is a host from coast to
    David Lesher, May 13, 2005
  9. David Lesher <> writes:
    > Are there any Skype-ish services that offer DTMF out? We have people
    > try and call us, but they then can not get intact DTMF tones to our
    > PBX to reach anyone.

    The few voip services I tried all allowed DTMF out, but it often took
    a bit of playing around to see which of the inband/as-rtp/as-sip
    methods they allowed. Ideally, they'd accept all three but I've seen
    quite a few voip "service providers" that ran some pretty lame
    voip/pstn gatewaying software. In cases like that one is forced to
    generate the audio for the DTMF oneself and send it inband. Given
    what most codecs do to that signal one will probably have to select
    straight "ulaw" encoding so that the other side can get a good enough
    rendition of the signal to decode the DTMF.

    Might that be your customer's problem, that they are sending DTMF
    inband, but selecting some fairly aggressive codec?

    If you have a few days to play, you might just want to set up your own
    voip gateway and allow folks to connect directly. A slowly growing
    set of universities are connecting their PBX to a small voip gateway
    and allowing incoming calls over voip.

    http://mit.edu/sip/sip.edu/
    http://www.internet2.edu/sip.edu/

    -wolfgang