  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    As title really - didn't realise that finarea companies don't pass DTMF :(

    Jim, May 24, 2006

  2. Jim

    Sean Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > As title really - didn't realise that finarea companies don't pass DTMF :(

    They do, just need it set to SIP INFO

    Sean, May 24, 2006

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    > Jim wrote:
    >> As title really - didn't realise that finarea companies don't pass DTMF
    >> :(

    > They do, just need it set to SIP INFO

    What needs set to SIP INFO ??

    Thanks

    Jim, May 24, 2006
  4. Jim

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:40:05 GMT, "Jim" <> wrote:

    >> Jim wrote:
    >>> As title really - didn't realise that finarea companies don't pass DTMF
    >>> :(

    >> They do, just need it set to SIP INFO

    >What needs set to SIP INFO ??
    >
    >Thanks

    On, for example, SPA-3000 Line 1 tab:
    DTMF Tx Method:INFO

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 24, 2006
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    >>What needs set to SIP INFO ??
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > On, for example, SPA-3000 Line 1 tab:
    > DTMF Tx Method:INFO

    mmmm don't have that otion on the Fritz!box :(

    Jim, May 24, 2006
  6. Jim wrote:
    >>> What needs set to SIP INFO ??
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> On, for example, SPA-3000 Line 1 tab:
    >> DTMF Tx Method:INFO
    >>

    > mmmm don't have that otion on the Fritz!box :(

    What option does it have? If it's not called INFO, it's often called
    RFC2976.

    Don't forget, if you're using G.729 you need to use RFC2833 for DMTF
    instead.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 24, 2006
  7. Jim

    Sean Guest

    it needs to go on inband! i posted after my 1st one with the correction
    .... oops

    Sean, May 24, 2006
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Don't have any of those options on the Fritz!box :(

    Jim, May 24, 2006
  9. Jim

    Sean Guest

    Hmm, i dont use that box :)

    I've give up with voipcheap and the like, only 300 mins now, its useless

    Sean, May 24, 2006
  10. Jim

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > > > What needs set to SIP INFO ??
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >

    > > On, for example, SPA-3000 Line 1 tab:
    > > DTMF Tx Method:INFO
    > >

    > mmmm don't have that otion on the Fritz!box :(

    I have no problems with DTMF on the Fritz!Box using Sipgate, Gradwell and
    FWD.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  11. Jim

    Sean Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message

    >>> On, for example, SPA-3000 Line 1 tab:
    >>> DTMF Tx Method:INFO
    >>>

    >> mmmm don't have that otion on the Fritz!box :(

    > I have no problems with DTMF on the Fritz!Box using Sipgate, Gradwell and
    > FWD.
    >
    > Ivor

    sipdiscount are a pain tho!

    Sean, May 24, 2006
  12. Jim

    Jim Guest

    >> I have no problems with DTMF on the Fritz!Box using Sipgate, Gradwell and
    >> FWD.
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>

    > sipdiscount are a pain tho!

    I have to agree its only sipdiscount that I have the problem with :(

    Jim, May 24, 2006
  13. Jim

    Martin² Guest

    This thread neatly exposes the problem with SIP:
    Different 'names' for DTMF settings, different way to set them on various
    software / hardware,
    different settings needed for various providers...
    No wonder VoIP is still for Geeks only !
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², May 25, 2006
  14. Jim

    Kev Guest

    Hello Martin²,

    > This thread neatly exposes the problem with SIP:
    > Different 'names' for DTMF settings, different way to set them on
    > various
    > software / hardware,
    > different settings needed for various providers...
    > No wonder VoIP is still for Geeks only !
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    I couldn't agree more. I made the switch to SIP VoIP last month and it took
    me a full day of my time to get the handset and provider working satisfactorily.
    Most of the issues came from the terminology, my handset mfr referring to
    one setting as X and the SIP provider the same setting as Y.

    Now I'm not averse to spending time RTFM, hell I'm a software dev and web
    hosting security guy and in the past I've cut my teeth as an ISP network
    tech, attended RIPE meetings, trailed the country as a DG field engineer
    etc etc so I'm no stranger to mfr technical documentation, RFC's and the
    like.

    But all I wanted to do was sign up, plug in and use my shiney new phone.
    You're absolutely right about VoIP being "for Geeks only" after that experience.
    Ultimately I have no interest in what an RTP port is, which vocoder to choose
    or what the difference is in sending DTMF in audio or via FTP or via SIP
    info etc etc.

    How hard can it be to at least produce consistent unified documentation that
    doesn't require me to spend ages hunting far and wide on forums, wiki's,
    newsgroups and cracks and corners of the web to try and decipher a new terminology
    that I neither really care about nor have the *time* to understand in any
    great depth?...and it is made especially annoying when one mfr calls a thing
    X but a different vendor calls the same thing Y and the VoIP provider calls
    it Z. This is why SIP VoIP will remain almost exclusively in the domain of
    the techs for a good while.

    At the end of the day as far as I'm concerned it's just a phone.

    Ah...That's better.

    Ke

    Kev, May 25, 2006
  15. Kev wrote:

    > This is why SIP VoIP will remain
    > almost exclusively in the domain of the techs for a good while.

    Maybe some of us can make money setting VoIP systems up then.

    Should have used an IAX2 phone instead, none of that nasty RTP data :p.
    *fx-hides*.

    I thought the DMTF signalling was more related to the codec being used,
    since the same problem occurs with H.323 and IAX.

    > At the end of the day as far as I'm concerned it's just a phone.

    yeah but, no but, yeah but it does stuff an umm.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 25, 2006
  16. Jim

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:18:40 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    >Kev wrote:
    >
    >> This is why SIP VoIP will remain
    >> almost exclusively in the domain of the techs for a good while.
    >>

    >Maybe some of us can make money setting VoIP systems up then.

    Well, yes. However, you have to bear in mind that non-geeks can always
    go for Vonage, Freetalk etc. The box is ready set up and is likely to
    work OK. It isn't as cost effective but most people can't see into the
    long term. If you said pay me £x to set up a box and it'll be cheaper
    than Vonage in the long run they wouldn't be able to see it. My next
    door neighour pays 5 times more for her water than I do. I advised her
    long ago to get a meter but she said it would cost her to get one
    fitted. She could have paid for that easily in what she would have
    saved but she is like so many others who can't see much further than
    the end of their noses.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 25, 2006
  17. Jim

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote in
    message

    [snip]

    > How hard can it be to at least produce consistent unified
    > documentation that doesn't require me to spend ages
    > hunting far and wide on forums, wiki's, newsgroups and
    > cracks and corners of the web to try and decipher a new
    > terminology that I neither really care about nor have the
    > *time* to understand in any great depth?...and it is made especially
    > annoying when
    > one mfr calls a thing X but a different vendor calls the same thing Y
    > and the
    > VoIP provider calls it Z. This is why SIP VoIP will remain almost
    > exclusively
    > in the domain of the techs for a good while.
    >
    > At the end of the day as far as I'm concerned it's just a
    > phone.
    > Ah...That's better.

    That's one advantage of the AVM Fritz!Box range, they are literally in my
    experience plug & play. When I first got mine, I entered my ISP details
    for the modem, my SIP ID's and passwords for VoIP and away it went. True,
    I did a little fine tuning later, but it took me all of 5 minutes to get a
    working system up & running.

    The down side of the Fritz is there is so little to configure for us geeks
    <g>

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 25, 2006