    restoration?

    Thanks,
    JS

    Jonathan Stryker, Nov 2, 2004

  2. On 2 Nov 2004 05:25:55 -0800, (Jonathan Stryker)
    wrote:

    >I am looking for some special edition DVDs of movies that illustrate
    >how a company takes a film that has faded and is then digitally
    >restored by computer. John D. Lowry of Lowry Digital Images has
    >restored over 100 movies, but I have yet to read of a special edition
    >DVD that actually takes us through the process of doing this. Robert
    >A. Harris has done some excellent film resorations, but have any of
    >the titles he has restored feature in-depth accounts of how he
    >actually does this? Aside from the special edition of SE7EN which has
    >a terrific demonstration of telecine colorizing, can anyone please
    >recommend some titles that have some in-depth documentaries about
    >restoration?

    I saw an extra feature on the restoration of the movie "The Kids are
    Alright" (The Who) on the special edition DVD release. It was
    somewhat detailed. I seem to recall the feature said they were
    working with an interpositive that wasn't faded but needed cleaning
    up. But an interview I found on the web said the negative turned up
    and they worked with that.

    DVD info:

    http://classicrock.about.com/library/reviews/blwho_dvd.htm

    John Albarian interview on the restoration:

    http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showinterview.php3?ID=53

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    | (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

    Gary A. Edelstein, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Jonathan Stryker

    DavesVideo Guest

    STRYKER48 said:

    >>I am looking for some special edition DVDs of movies that illustrate

    how a company takes a film that has faded and is then digitally
    restored by computer.>>

    I have seen a bit of that on a couple movies. But, they so not go into details
    of the algorithms, meerly show a faded scene then the restored, show a
    scratched scene followed by the restored etc. Saw this both on a "Casablanca"
    and "The Third Man" DVDs.

    Dave
    http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

    DavesVideo, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Jonathan Stryker wrote:

    > I am looking for some special edition DVDs of movies that illustrate
    > how a company takes a film that has faded and is then digitally
    > restored by computer.

    ....Oh, you mean like Criterion always does?

    Derek Janssen (start with "The Third Man" and "Beauty and the Beast",
    haven't seen many of the others)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 2, 2004
  5. Jonathan Stryker

    Matt Fuerst Guest

    It's very brief and not really in depth but I know when you put the
    Millenium (I think it's the Millenium) Edition of Night of the Living Dead
    it starts playing the version we are all used to seeing. Scratched, flecked
    to death and muted. The first 30 or 60 seconds play and then the image
    shatters and shows you the restored, awesome image (it is really striking).
    Pretty neat.

    Matt
    www.jackasscritics.com

    Matt Fuerst, Nov 9, 2004
  6. The new four-disc set of Gone With the Wind is supposed to have a
    supplement about that war horse's most recent restoration/transfer.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Disney's Pollyanna has a featurette about it's restoration. It's pretty
    interesting especially about how they had to go to the black and white
    seperation masters for the nrestoration and one of the masters has an
    incorrect color seperation.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Nov 9, 2004