    I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch to
    standard CF memory card.

    THoughts?

    Robert Desel, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Robert Desel

    Mike Guest

    The only downside I have heard is that it is a rotating disk and therefore
    uses more power and is probably more prone to failure than a solid state
    device.

    Mike

    Mike, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Robert Desel

    Mikey Guest

    Your thinking of the disk type, but I suspect he was referring to an actual
    1 gig CF solid state card, they finally are down to affordable prices.
    The only drawback I can see would be if it failed, you potentially would
    lose a lot of pictures on one big card compared to say 4 X 256 meg cards, if
    one of those failed you would lose 1/4 of them.
    CF cards are pretty darn reliable though, I wouldn't worry about it.

    --

    Mikey
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Robert Desel

    Robert Desel Guest

    No I was referring to the micro-drive type.
    I dont ever keep that many pics on it...I xfer them to my PC regularly.

    Robert Desel, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Robert Desel

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Mike"

    >The only downside I have heard is that it is a rotating disk and therefore
    >uses more power and is probably more prone to failure than a solid state
    >device.

    You're thinking of the "microdrive" like the one by IBM.

    Bill Hilton, Jul 31, 2003
  6. > I have a D100 and am using a 1gig CF card.

    I considered a microdrive when I got my camera but went with solid
    state memory. I've worked with hard drives enough to know that they're
    born to die from the moment they're first turned on. It just seemed
    too risky to me.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 31, 2003
  7. Hello,

    > I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch to
    > standard CF memory card.

    I also use a 1Gb CF card, the advantage being the capacity but also the fact
    that you insert once for good in the camera and never handle it again,
    preventing any potential failures due to insertion/removal of smaller CF
    cards.

    Bertrand

    Bertrand Collet, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Robert Desel

    Ron Guest

    Robert Desel wrote:

    > I have a D100 and am using a 1gig CF card.
    >
    > I find that I rarely even come close to using its capacity.
    >
    > I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch to
    > standard CF memory card.
    >
    > THoughts?

    ONe should expect that a 1G card would be one of the faster types (but
    not necessarily), but smaller ones can also be fast. Unless you are
    worried about losing too much in a flash crash, stick with the 1G card,
    you never know when you may want to snap a lot of shots in a hurry.

    Ron, Jul 31, 2003
  9. Robert Desel <> wrote:
    >No I was referring to the micro-drive type.
    >I dont ever keep that many pics on it...I xfer them to my PC regularly.

    The clarification was good, because as written, you were clearly referring
    to the card, not the microdrive.

    Power consumption is higher, though DSLR users report little difference
    in battery life using it. Not sure if the spin up time matters, but I
    wonder how often it spins up and down with a DSLR as opposed to a digicam
    where it likely stays on continuously.

    Read/write performance is solid. Reliability is less. But since you
    already have it, no compelling reason yet to move on.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 31, 2003
  10. Robert Desel

    Scott Ranger Guest

    I have both a 1 gig microdrive and a 1 gig compact flash. I don't notice any
    significant difference in either battery use or write speed with my Canon
    10D. I used both in Africa in June (and along with a borrowed 1 gig CF card
    filled them all up!) and never once had a concern for any of them. The
    microdrive is more fragile, but I try to take care of all my stuff. All
    other things, being equal, what I buy now are CF cards. I've had the
    microdrive for several years.

    Scott Ranger

    Scott Ranger, Jul 31, 2003
  11. Robert Desel

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    An Image Tank is a portable hard drive with different card ports to transfer
    the images directly from the memory card to the hard drive. Once
    transferred, you can hook the hard drive up to your computer and it acts
    like another hard drive for your computer. There are many different variants
    of the same type of device (some even with LCD screens to view the images).
    Most are battery operated and come with AC and car adaptors. You can usually
    get them with 20-80GB hard drives.

    > What is an image tank.
    > I shoot mostly in JPG fine.
    > Is raw that much better?
    > "Chris Hoopes" <> wrote in message
    > > I have 512MB CF cards with my D-100 and get close to filling them

    when
    > > out on assignments. I haven't moved up to 1GB cards yet mainly because I
    > > don't have a DVD-R writer yet. For now, I fill a CF card and transfer it

    > > my Image Tank, then to my laptop. From the laptop, I burn each Raw##
    > > subdirectory to a CD before I even start working on the images. I know I
    > > could get up to 700MB on a CD-R when using the 1GB cards, but that would
    > > also mean I would have to keep track of the image numbers where I

    stopped
    > > for one CD and started for the next - just simpler for me to burn a CD

    for
    > > each CF card.
    > >
    > > With the 512MB CF cards, I can get 51 RAW images per card, and 170+
    > > images in JPG Fine mode. It just comes down to what modes you use, and

    how

    Chris Hoopes, Aug 12, 2003
  12. Robert Desel

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    Depending on the event, I shoot RAW or JPG-Fine. For portrait work, I
    usually shoot in RAW mode since I know I will be reviewing and have more
    possibility of post-processing. When shooting an event like a football game
    or marching band, I use JPG-Fine since most of the images will be for their
    website or the newspaper. It all depends on the amount of post-processing
    and the number of images I need to take at the time.

    Chris Hoopes, Aug 12, 2003