    anyone in here shoot IR with these Sony cameras, and have an answer for me?
    I guess i could double up on the filters, but that seems a tad redundant.

    thanks
    joe mama, Aug 30, 2006

  2. joe mama

    Craig Guest

    "joe mama" <> wrote...

    > hi,
    >
    > i have a DSC-V3 and notice that if you set it to "night shot" mode, you
    > are in effect, removing the ir blocker in the camera. of course it's way
    > too bright to get a pic like that in daylight, but i do have an old
    > wratter 87 filter that i put in front of the lens and it works...kind of.
    >
    > the image gets way too blown out in the highlights (foliage), even though
    > the sky darkens nicely. it seems that the only way you can shoot this way
    > is in program mode, so all i can do is try to reduce the exposure a little
    > with the compensation. it really doesn't do all that much. even throwing a
    > red filter in front of the 87 didn't do much to alter the highlights.
    >
    > anyone in here shoot IR with these Sony cameras, and have an answer for
    > me? I guess i could double up on the filters, but that seems a tad
    > redundant.
    >
    > thanks

    I'm not sure about the V3, but for the F717, a lot of folks do IR with a
    R72 and neutral density filter combo.

    See: http://www.pbase.com/catson/infrared_world

    My examples: http://home.att.net/~wpyr/sony/DSC-F717--IR.html

    Check the DPR Forum (or join and ask for help):

    or ask about the V3 and infrared:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=v3 infrared&forum=1009

    Have fun!

    Craig
    Craig, Aug 30, 2006

  3. joe mama

    joe mama Guest

    "Craig" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not sure about the V3, but for the F717, a lot of folks do IR with a
    > R72 and neutral density filter combo.
    >
    > See: http://www.pbase.com/catson/infrared_world
    >
    > My examples: http://home.att.net/~wpyr/sony/DSC-F717--IR.html
    >
    > Check the DPR Forum (or join and ask for help):
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
    >
    > or ask about the V3 and infrared:
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=v3 infrared&forum=1009
    >
    > Have fun!
    >
    > Craig

    yep, the minute i sent my post i went and grabbed a polariser, and it did
    the same thing. i guess a two stop--at least--ND would do the trick?

    thanks
    joe mama, Aug 30, 2006
  4. joe mama wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i have a DSC-V3 and notice that if you set it to "night shot" mode, you are
    > in effect, removing the ir blocker in the camera. of course it's way too
    > bright to get a pic like that in daylight, but i do have an old wratter 87
    > filter that i put in front of the lens and it works...kind of.
    >
    > the image gets way too blown out in the highlights (foliage), even though
    > the sky darkens nicely. it seems that the only way you can shoot this way is
    > in program mode, so all i can do is try to reduce the exposure a little with
    > the compensation. it really doesn't do all that much. even throwing a red
    > filter in front of the 87 didn't do much to alter the highlights.
    >
    > anyone in here shoot IR with these Sony cameras, and have an answer for me?
    > I guess i could double up on the filters, but that seems a tad redundant.
    >
    > thanks

    I've shot IR with the F717, now the F828. Try a strong ND filter in
    addition to the IR pass filter. Even better try a - get this - a Hoya X1
    or similar GREEN filter.

    Consider: We've already selected visible light out and IR in, now we
    need to control the amount of IR that gets to the sensor. Turns out that
    the green filter I tried is much more efficient than a 2 or 3 stop ND
    filter at just that task.

    A downside is the need to have a blob of filters stacked up front. This
    causes vignetting at the wide end of the zoom range. Using polarizers
    gives more fine control but adds even more filters to the front.

    With Sony's refusal to let their firmware be modded to give full
    exposure and shutter speed control under "NightShot" mode, we're limited
    to f2-ish and 1/60sec. limitations (1/30 for the 828 -grrrr).

    But it's still a neat camera to take IR with. No need to remove the hot
    mirror, and full use of the live *preview* including histogram.

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/digital_images.php#infrared

    Corry

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    "You didn't chose to address any of my post except this last little
    piece where I ridiculing you for being an idiot." - "Altie" on
    rec.sport.football.college, 2006
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Aug 30, 2006
  5. "Unclaimed Mysteries" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    > With Sony's refusal to let their firmware be modded to give full exposure and shutter speed control under "NightShot" mode, we're
    > limited to f2-ish and 1/60sec. limitations (1/30 for the 828 -grrrr).

    Sony priggishly tries to prevent "X-Ray" photos - but
    IR does a VERY poor job of "seeing through clothes".
    I've taken some wonderful landscape footage with an
    old TRV-9 Mini-DV camcorder and IR+red filter
    (before Sony crippled this great feature in late TRV-9s).

    > But it's still a neat camera to take IR with. No need to remove the hot mirror, and full use of the live *preview* including
    > histogram.
    >
    > http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/digital_images.php#infrared
    >
    > Corry
    >
    > --
    > It Came From Corry Lee Smith's Unclaimed Mysteries.
    > http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Nice images. I found I couldn't get sharp IR images with
    my Sony 707. I guess your idea of stitching several images
    together (thus reducing magnification) is a good one for
    getting nicer-looking images.
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether