Any digital equivalents of Olympus Stylus Epic?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan D., Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Alan D.

    Alan D. Guest

    Hello everyone;
    I'm in market for a compact digital camrea. I want it to be a backup for my
    Canon Elan II. Currently I use Olympus Stylus Epic (the non-zoom compact
    camera) and am extremely happy with the result but would like to have a
    digital camera as well. Therefore, I would really love to find a camera that
    meets as much as possible of the following criteria:
    - is decently small,
    - have a very fast and sharp lens (just like the Epic),
    - doesn't neccesarily have zoom (as a matter of fact I'd prefer a fixed
    focal length, 35 mm or perhaps 28 mm if possible),
    - around 4-5 megapixels,
    - I would prefer to be able to use a viewfinder for shooting (so optical
    with a paralax correction lines and a autofocus point or electronic
    viewfinder would be prefferable) and LCD only to check out the resulting
    photo,
    - my budget would be up to around 600 USD.

    I keep going through the camera review sites, but seems that everything
    these days have zoom. I would really greatly appreciate any opinions or
    recommendations. I have around three more months before my next vacation and
    would like to get a camera before that time. Thank you all in advance.

    Best regards,

    Alan D.

    Alan D., Jan 3, 2004

  2. Alan D.

    Steve Guest

    Alan D. wrote:
    > Hello everyone;
    > I'm in market for a compact digital camrea. I want it to be a backup
    > for my Canon Elan II. Currently I use Olympus Stylus Epic (the
    > non-zoom compact camera) and am extremely happy with the result but
    > would like to have a digital camera as well. Therefore, I would
    > really love to find a camera that meets as much as possible of the
    > following criteria:
    > - is decently small,
    > - have a very fast and sharp lens (just like the Epic),
    > - doesn't neccesarily have zoom (as a matter of fact I'd prefer a
    > fixed focal length, 35 mm or perhaps 28 mm if possible),
    > - around 4-5 megapixels,
    > - I would prefer to be able to use a viewfinder for shooting (so
    > optical with a paralax correction lines and a autofocus point or
    > electronic viewfinder would be prefferable) and LCD only to check out
    > the resulting photo,
    > - my budget would be up to around 600 USD.
    >
    > I keep going through the camera review sites, but seems that
    > everything these days have zoom. I would really greatly appreciate
    > any opinions or recommendations. I have around three more months
    > before my next vacation and would like to get a camera before that
    > time. Thank you all in advance.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Alan D.

    Alan:

    You probably will not find a fixed focal length 4 or 5 MP camera. Since you
    like your Olympus Stylus Epic, how about a fixed focal length Olympus D390?

    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&p=16&bc=1&product=911

    It is only 2 MP though which will be good for snapshots, but not 8*10
    enlargements. I do not know about it's availability.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Alan D.

    LauraK Guest

    >I'm in market for a compact digital camrea. I want it to be a backup for my
    >Canon Elan II. Currently I use Olympus Stylus Epic (the non-zoom compact
    >camera) and am extremely happy with the result but would like to have a
    >digital camera as well. Therefore, I would really love to find a camera that
    >meets as much as possible of the following criteria:

    Have you checked out the Digital Olympus Stylus?
    Just like the film version, but digital. All the buttons are in the same place,
    etc. Similar photo quality.
    The digital version does have zoom, although not as extreme as the film
    version.
    Nice little camera and the price for the top one is well within your budget.
    This is B&H's blurb on it:
    http://tinyurl.com/28dur
    Also look at the Olympus C-50. A little faster lens and shutter. Same form as
    the Stylus.

    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    web design, print design, photography

    LauraK, Jan 3, 2004
  4. On 2004-01-03, Alan D. <> wrote:
    > Hello everyone;
    > I'm in market for a compact digital camrea. I want it to be a backup for my
    > Canon Elan II. Currently I use Olympus Stylus Epic (the non-zoom compact
    > camera) and am extremely happy with the result but would like to have a
    > digital camera as well. Therefore, I would really love to find a camera that
    > meets as much as possible of the following criteria:
    > - is decently small,
    > - have a very fast and sharp lens (just like the Epic),
    > - doesn't neccesarily have zoom (as a matter of fact I'd prefer a fixed
    > focal length, 35 mm or perhaps 28 mm if possible),
    > - around 4-5 megapixels,
    > - I would prefer to be able to use a viewfinder for shooting (so optical
    > with a paralax correction lines and a autofocus point or electronic
    > viewfinder would be prefferable) and LCD only to check out the resulting
    > photo,
    > - my budget would be up to around 600 USD.
    >
    > I keep going through the camera review sites, but seems that everything
    > these days have zoom. I would really greatly appreciate any opinions or
    > recommendations. I have around three more months before my next vacation and
    > would like to get a camera before that time. Thank you all in advance.

    Canon IXUS i is small and fixed focus. Caled Powershot SD10 in the
    USA. 4 Mpix. Only f/2.8 as the aim of fixed focus = small size.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Alan D.

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I think you should get a Canon S400.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 3, 2004
  6. "Alan D." <> writes:

    >I keep going through the camera review sites, but seems that everything
    >these days have zoom. I would really greatly appreciate any opinions or
    >recommendations.

    You're looking in a corner of the camera market where there isn't much
    choice. With film cameras, all cameras can use the same film, so your
    choices are along lines of zoom range (or none) and camera size and
    features. But in digital cameras, a major portion of the cost is
    determined by the sensor size, and 4-5MP cameras are fairly expensive,
    and expensive cameras mostly come with zoom lenses and lots of features.

    There are also simple inexpensive fixed-FL-lens cameras, but they are
    mostly lower resolution (e.g. Canon A300).

    But you should look at the Canon SD10. It's 4 MP, fixed FL lens at the
    equivalent of about 39 mm (not as wide as you want, I know), no optical
    viewfinder, but it is very small.

    If you allow a bit larger, the S400 is 4 MP, with optical viewfinder and
    3X zoom, but the zoom doesn't impair its small power-off size.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 3, 2004