    That extra $100 could go a long way towards, say, a good picture card
    upgrade or extra lens.

    R.M.

    Ron M., May 7, 2004

  2. Ron M.

    Robertwgross Guest

    R.M. wrote:
    >How much do you know about some of these super-low-priced online
    >camera stores? Take a Fuji S5000, for example (and let's not get
    >bogged down in the pros and cons of that camera - that's not the
    >topic, OK?). Places like B&H or Adorama have it for around $380, but
    >places like Electric Sam, Pricerite Photo, PcVideo, etc. have it for
    >about $275, and that's brand new, unopened factory, box, full USA
    >warranty, etc.
    >
    >Some of these places have real horror stories, where they'd charge
    >your card and not ship you the order, or they'd say "it went out this
    >morning" repeatedly for 3 months, and you'd never get it. But some of
    >them have pretty good reviews, too. Can anybody point to a good one?
    >That extra $100 could go a long way towards, say, a good picture card
    >upgrade or extra lens.

    Make yourself a list of the vendors that sell the product that you are
    interested in. At the top of the list, place the well-respected vendors that
    have the highest reseller ratings and then show the product price. Then
    continue down the list until you have the slimeball vendors with the lowest
    reseller ratings and then show the product price. Now step back and look into
    your wallet. Now look at the list again, and you will see the breakpoint where
    you get the most vendor reliability for your dollar.

    Personally, for myself alone, I stick with just about three vendors at the top.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, May 7, 2004

  3. Ron M.

    B.A.S. Guest

    Ron M. wrote:

    > How much do you know about some of these super-low-priced online
    > camera stores?

    <snip>

    You may have already seen this, but this site can help you make that
    decision:

    http://www.resellerratings.com/

    B.A.S.

    B.A.S., May 7, 2004
  4. "Ron M." <> wrote in message
    > How much do you know about some of these super-low-priced online
    > camera stores? Take a Fuji S5000, for example (and let's not get
    > bogged down in the pros and cons of that camera - that's not the
    > topic, OK?). Places like B&H or Adorama have it for around $380, but
    > places like Electric Sam, Pricerite Photo, PcVideo, etc. have it for
    > about $275, and that's brand new, unopened factory, box, full USA
    > warranty, etc.
    >
    > Some of these places have real horror stories, where they'd charge
    > your card and not ship you the order, or they'd say "it went out this
    > morning" repeatedly for 3 months, and you'd never get it. But some of
    > them have pretty good reviews, too. Can anybody point to a good one?
    > That extra $100 could go a long way towards, say, a good picture card
    > upgrade or extra lens.
    >
    > R.M.

    I recently went through the purchase decision making process and initially
    was in the same place as you. I found over a $300 price spread on-line on
    the Fuji S7000... After examining various sites it became clear that some
    prices were listed with a $100 rebate subtracted and others without. Some
    offered free shipping others didn't. Some prices were relatively high ($699
    after rebate) with no hint that there was any value added while others were
    unexplainably low. The reputation of the sites ranged from horrible to
    excellent. Some had the camera in stock and others didn't. Another issue is
    that some of the vendors were in state and others out... depending on your
    attitude towards sales tax that needs to be considered in the net delivered
    price also.

    Upon reviewing the integrity and prices I settled on BUYDIG.COM as they
    appeared to have a stellar reputation and a net price ($421 after rebate)
    that wasn't appreciably above the bottom prices from less honorable vendors.
    I ordered late in the evening on Tuesday and the camera arrived on Friday...
    The price/risk levels were in my comfort zone and the vendor delivered what
    was ordered in a very timely fashion. I've had bad experiences with the
    "lowest cost provider" on purchases in the past. Thus price, while
    important, isn't the best reason to buy from any vendor.

    John

    John Grossbohlin, May 8, 2004
  5. Ron M.

    Ron M. Guest

    Good information from you guys. Buydig seems to have a good
    reputation, as does Magic Sam and H&R Deals. Some other places have
    customer reviews that are downright nightmarish, almost unbelievable.
    I have definitely decided on a Fuji s5000. I'd REALLY rather have an
    s7000, but the price is going to just get too far up there, especially
    after buying a bigger xd card. I have seen 256mb xd cards on Ebay for
    as little as $25, however. The only way I could afford (try to
    understand, I got a wife and daughter in college!) the s7000 is to go
    with the ABSOLUTE cheapest place I can find. That's why I'm asking
    about it.

    Good link to reseller.com... I'll check it out...

    Ron M.

    Ron M., May 8, 2004
  6. Ron M.

    Mark B. Guest

    "Ron M." <> wrote in message
    > How much do you know about some of these super-low-priced online
    > camera stores?

    Enough to stay away from them. I've seen too many horror stories to know
    that if it sounds too good to be true, run away!

    Take a Fuji S5000, for example (and let's not get
    > bogged down in the pros and cons of that camera - that's not the
    > topic, OK?). Places like B&H or Adorama have it for around $380, but
    > places like Electric Sam, Pricerite Photo, PcVideo, etc. have it for
    > about $275, and that's brand new, unopened factory, box, full USA
    > warranty, etc.
    >
    > Some of these places have real horror stories, where they'd charge
    > your card and not ship you the order, or they'd say "it went out this
    > morning" repeatedly for 3 months, and you'd never get it. But some of
    > them have pretty good reviews, too. Can anybody point to a good one?
    > That extra $100 could go a long way towards, say, a good picture card
    > upgrade or extra lens.
    >
    > R.M.

    I guess you're a gambler! Hey, it's your money.

    Mark

    Mark B., May 8, 2004
  7. "Ron M." <> wrote in message
    > Good information from you guys. Buydig seems to have a good
    > reputation, as does Magic Sam and H&R Deals. Some other places have
    > customer reviews that are downright nightmarish, almost unbelievable.
    > I have definitely decided on a Fuji s5000. I'd REALLY rather have an
    > s7000, but the price is going to just get too far up there, especially
    > after buying a bigger xd card. I have seen 256mb xd cards on Ebay for
    > as little as $25, however. The only way I could afford (try to
    > understand, I got a wife and daughter in college!) the s7000 is to go
    > with the ABSOLUTE cheapest place I can find. That's why I'm asking
    > about it.

    I had no problem with Buydig. No follow-up call to sell overpriced
    accessories.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 8, 2004
  8. Ron M.

    bmoag Guest

    Stay away from ecost.com: after you click purchase several handling fees
    will be added to the bottom line.

    bmoag, May 8, 2004
  9. Ron M. wrote:

    >Some of these places have real horror stories, where they'd charge
    >your card and not ship you the order, or they'd say "it went out this
    >morning" repeatedly for 3 months, and you'd never get it. But some of
    >them have pretty good reviews, too. Can anybody point to a good one?
    >That extra $100 could go a long way towards, say, a good picture card
    >upgrade or extra lens.

    stick with someone like Canoga and you will be best off. iow, a fair price and
    a quality service dealer... that means a lot down the road when your product
    goes south..
    fwiw
    chas

    schuetzen - RKBA!, May 8, 2004
  10. Ron M.

    Gary Guest

    Re: Any decent low-cost online/mail-order places???? Yes, KEH in Atlanta, #1!!!!!

    Try KEH in atlanta, you won't be sorry. Been buying from them for
    years.

    Gary, May 11, 2004
  11. "Ron M." <> wrote in message
    > How much do you know about some of these super-low-priced online
    > camera stores? Take a Fuji S5000, for example (and let's not get
    > bogged down in the pros and cons of that camera - that's not the
    > topic, OK?). Places like B&H or Adorama have it for around $380, but
    > places like Electric Sam, Pricerite Photo, PcVideo, etc. have it for
    > about $275, and that's brand new, unopened factory, box, full USA
    > warranty, etc.

    Buydig is $300 for the S5000, with free ground shipping. I bought an S500
    from them. It came from New York in about two days, so clearly they didn't
    ship it ground! No complaints. I expected to receive a "confirmation" call
    with pressure to buy accessories. I actually wanted to buy the leather case,
    but they didn't sell it, so I bought it from Amazon. Maybe because I ordered
    during the Passover holiday, and they had such a backlog upon their return
    that they didn't have time to make sales calls.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 11, 2004
  12. Ron M.

    Tom S. Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message news:<Qf7nc.6480$>...
    > Stay away from ecost.com: after you click purchase several handling fees
    > will be added to the bottom line.

    Ditto. I bought from them once, but never again, after I found out
    there are "hidden charges." If you read the fine print, you will find
    out about this, but most will miss this.

    ...Tom

    Tom S., May 11, 2004
  13. Ron M.

    Thad Guest

    Tom S. wrote:

    > "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > > Stay away from ecost.com: after you click purchase several handling fees
    > > will be added to the bottom line.

    > Ditto. I bought from them once, but never again, after I found out
    > there are "hidden charges." If you read the fine print, you will find
    > out about this, but most will miss this.
    >
    > ...Tom

    The best thing to do is visit http://www.PriceGrabber.com and look at
    the ratings for each merchant. Buydig, New Egg, and Beach Camera are all
    very reasonable, and they get good reviews.

    -Thad L.

    Thad, May 11, 2004
  14. Ron M.

    denomolos Guest

    Check out Etronics.com. They've had the lowest price for many cameras that
    I've looked and that includes free shipping. They have a good reseller
    rating and I've purchased from them with no problems. They also have a 30
    day return policy.

    denomolos, May 12, 2004