Any current problems with voip.co.uk

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Roger Mills, Sep 25, 2007.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no, I
    haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.

    Is anyone else having similar problems?

    I'm not sure whether the problem is with the voip service or with my PAP2T -
    although I suspect the former! Whenever I dial a number, I get a
    oink-oink-oink type noise which increases in frequency and harshness after a
    few seconds.

    I sometimes get this almost as a matter of course when making calls, but
    they're usually ok on the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but it's now doing it all the
    time.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Sep 25, 2007

  2. Roger Mills

    Jono Guest

    Roger Mills pretended :
    > I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no, I
    > haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
    >
    > Is anyone else having similar problems?

    Hmm. My sister has just called me from her mobile claiming that her
    "landline" wasn't working. (landline=SPA1000 using voip.co.uk)

    This seems to be happening about twice a month.

    With regards to credit, how the bloody hell do you top the account up
    without a credit card - they are unable to take payment by debit card -
    a situation that has persisted for about 3 months.

    This inability to accept debit cards caused our monthly UK pack to not
    renew, followed by calls being charged that shouldn't have been.

    The third month that auto top-up failed, they admitted that the reason
    was because they had been stopped from taking debit card payments.

    At this point, they did provide a £10 credit limit, which has nearly
    (but not quite) been exhausted. There is sufficient available for
    chargeable calls though, so you're not on your own.

    > I'm not sure whether the problem is with the voip service or with my PAP2T -
    > although I suspect the former!

    So do I.

    Jono, Sep 25, 2007

  3. Roger Mills

    Michael Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:

    > I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no,
    > I haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
    >
    > Is anyone else having similar problems?
    >
    > I'm not sure whether the problem is with the voip service or with my
    > PAP2T - although I suspect the former! Whenever I dial a number, I
    > get a oink-oink-oink type noise which increases in frequency and
    > harshness after a few seconds.
    >
    > I sometimes get this almost as a matter of course when making calls,
    > but they're usually ok on the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but it's now doing
    > it all the time.

    Working fine for calls in and out for me ....

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 25, 2007
  4. Roger Mills

    alexd Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > With regards to credit, how the bloody hell do you top the account up
    > without a credit card - they are unable to take payment by debit card -
    > a situation that has persisted for about 3 months.
    >
    > This inability to accept debit cards caused our monthly UK pack to not
    > renew, followed by calls being charged that shouldn't have been.

    Is this still an issue? If so, I'm stuffed in November - my £20PA for
    off-peak expires then, and I don't have a credit card. Good thing people
    use my Sipgate number for incoming!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:44:17 up 2 days, 9:38, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.01

    alexd, Sep 25, 2007
  5. Roger Mills

    TheMgt Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > With regards to credit, how the bloody hell do you top the account up
    > without a credit card - they are unable to take payment by debit card -
    > a situation that has persisted for about 3 months.

    I've just topped up with a debit card. It went through OK.

    TheMgt, Sep 25, 2007
  6. Roger Mills

    Jono Guest

    It happens that TheMgt formulated :
    > Jono wrote:
    >
    >> With regards to credit, how the bloody hell do you top the account up
    >> without a credit card - they are unable to take payment by debit card -
    >> a situation that has persisted for about 3 months.

    > I've just topped up with a debit card. It went through OK.

    Meastro cards are the ones they're apparently unable to debit:

    Reply received from voip.co.uk on 10/9/07:

    "No I'm afraid that we are still not accepting Maestro cards and expect
    that this will not change in the near future."

    Jono, Sep 25, 2007
  7. Roger Mills

    Jono Guest

    alexd presented the following explanation :
    >> This inability to accept debit cards caused our monthly UK pack to not
    >> renew, followed by calls being charged that shouldn't have been.

    > Is this still an issue? If so, I'm stuffed in November

    It was perhaps a sweeping statement to say they couldn't take "Debit
    Cards" when, in fact it is specifically Maestro cards they cannot take.

    Jono, Sep 25, 2007
  8. Roger Mills

    Paul Clarke Guest

    "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message
    >I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no, I
    >haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
    >
    > Is anyone else having similar problems?
    >
    > I'm not sure whether the problem is with the voip service or with my
    > PAP2T - although I suspect the former! Whenever I dial a number, I get a
    > oink-oink-oink type noise which increases in frequency and harshness after
    > a few seconds.
    >
    > I sometimes get this almost as a matter of course when making calls, but
    > they're usually ok on the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but it's now doing it all
    > the time.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Roger
    > ______
    > Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
    > monitored..
    > Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks. PLEASE REPLY TO
    > NEWSGROUP!

    My Voip.co.uk connection was entirely out of action (also using PAP2) for
    several days - but it suddenly began to work again today - crossing fingers.
    Last week Sipgate wasn't working but Voip.co.uk was! Got both at the moment.

    Paul

    Paul Clarke, Sep 25, 2007
  9. Roger Mills

    Guest

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:33:19 +0100, "Roger Mills"
    <> wrote:

    >I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no, I
    >haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
    >
    >Is anyone else having similar problems?

    So that was it, at around 4.45 this afternoon I was outside and tried
    to make an 0800 call but no joy came back inside around 5 pm and all
    was fine I was putting it down to the phone being out of range .

    , Sep 25, 2007
  10. Roger Mills

    alexd Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > alexd presented the following explanation :
    >>> This inability to accept debit cards caused our monthly UK pack to not
    >>> renew, followed by calls being charged that shouldn't have been.

    >> Is this still an issue? If so, I'm stuffed in November

    > It was perhaps a sweeping statement to say they couldn't take "Debit
    > Cards" when, in fact it is specifically Maestro cards they cannot take.

    Phew.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:40:26 up 2 days, 22:34, 1 user, load average: 0.44, 0.14, 0.04

    alexd, Sep 26, 2007
  11. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:33:19 +0100, "Roger Mills"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no,
    >> I haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
    >>
    >> Is anyone else having similar problems?

    > So that was it, at around 4.45 this afternoon I was outside and tried
    > to make an 0800 call but no joy came back inside around 5 pm and all
    > was fine I was putting it down to the phone being out of range .

    Yes, mine came back after an hour or so.

    Strange that I could still receive incoming calls during this 'outage'
    period. Anyone care to explain that?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Sep 26, 2007
  12. Roger Mills

    alexd Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:

    > Strange that I could still receive incoming calls during this 'outage'
    > period. Anyone care to explain that?

    It's most likely that voip.co.uk use a large system built from many
    interconnected components, so a failure of one component won't necessarily
    result in total loss of service, just a loss of the service that component
    provides. And a 'component' could be anything from a patch cable to a 7ft
    rack full of servers.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:40:57 up 6 days, 35 min, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.15, 0.07

    alexd, Sep 29, 2007