    11 x 14 and larger sizes.

    Thanks,

    Norm Strong

    normanstrong, Feb 2, 2004

  2. normanstrong

    Linda_N Guest

    "normanstrong" <> wrote in message
    news:WYyTb.209755$xy6.1076301@attbi_s02...
    > I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
    > seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
    > particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
    > My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
    > 11 x 14 and larger sizes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norm Strong

    When I asked about Panasonic DMC FZ10 not so long ago the only downfall that
    was mentioned was that it is not so good for indoor shots. Other than that
    the users seemed to be very pleased with their Z10 (and even the older Z1).
    If you search the group for FZ10 you will get a few recent threads. In one
    of those threads a fellow named Hans posts a link to his FZ1 travel
    photography site that has tons of examples of what the older model could do.
    Assume that the newer model (FZ10) is even better.

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Feb 2, 2004

  3. normanstrong

    Paul H. Guest

    "normanstrong" <> wrote in message
    > I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
    > seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
    > particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
    > My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
    > 11 x 14 and larger sizes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norm Strong

    Norm, here's a link to a Japanese site
    http://panasonic.jp/dc/gallery/fz10.html with a few pictures showing what
    can be done with the FZ10 in the hands of a professional photographer. I
    think the photos-- even the low-light ones- compare very favorably with
    those taken with far more expensive cameras.
    The biggest drawback to the FZ-10 I can think of is the absence of a RAW (or
    even a TIF) mode.

    Thumb #6 points to a portait shot showing excellent detail (look at
    individual hair strands) with skin tones that are warm and quite
    realistic-looking. Reflections from the nose and shoulder-point are a tad
    over-exposed, but other than that it's a good portrait. If you blow up the
    eye on YOUR left as you look at the properly-oriented photo, you can quite
    clearly make out in the model's iris the reflections of the photographer and
    another person standing behind him.

    Paul H., Feb 3, 2004
  4. "Linda_N" <> wrote:

    >fellow named Hans posts a link to his FZ1 travel
    >photography site that has tons of examples of what the older model could do.

    http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/

    Meanwhile I upgraded the firmware of my FZ1 to FZ2 level, which
    raises the quality a tad by offering better (less) JPEG
    compression. But the photos on the above web page were done
    before that.

    Give me a few months until the next load arrives.

    The FZ10 has the same extremely good lens, enlarged to feed the
    bigger 4 Megapixel sensor. (The FZ1 and FZ2 only have 2
    Megapixels.) The camera is accordingly bigger and heavier.

    Biggest weakness of this whole camera range is poor performance
    in low lighting conditions, like no autofocus assist light and
    noise. On the other hand they are all incredibly cheap.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Feb 3, 2004
  5. "normanstrong" <> writes:

    > I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
    > seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
    > particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
    > My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
    > 11 x 14 and larger sizes.

    Go to the Panasonic forum on dpreview.com where they talk about it all of the
    time (both good and bad issues discussed):

    Also go to the Panasonic forum at Steve's:

    http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 3, 2004
  6. normanstrong

    Ray Guest

    Been waiting for some time for a decent IS mega zoom cam above the 10x
    level (to retire my current Oly E100RS) and the FZ10 is it. I have had mine
    for a little over a week, and while I find it to not be perfect in every
    aspect, it looks as though it will do just fine.

    The lack of an eyecup around the viewfinder is a big minus for bright
    daylight shooting (I am getting a workaround for this via an after market
    eyecup I found on Ebay).Also the burst mode freezes the action in both the
    viewfinder and LCD so you have to estimate where the subject will be, while
    panning. Then there is the use of a proprietary battery, and finally the
    lack of indoor focus assist light, are the only minuses I have come across
    so far. The Image Stabilizer works beautifully and indoor shots while
    tricky, are also nice from what I have taken so far. It is very fast camera
    which makes using the burst mode ok because you can zero back in on the
    action in a little over 2 seconds as this processor in this cam is lightning
    fast so that will be ok too. The images overall are pretty well exposed,
    lifelike and crisp in all environments and need little enhancing. I will be
    putting up a page dedicated to this new cam shortly. Needless to say I
    bought mine through a mail order company for 499 (US model) delivered, a
    pretty good bang for your buck as I remember paying over $900 back in 2001
    for a (pathetically slow) Canon Pro 90IS.

    Ray

    Ray, Feb 3, 2004
  7. normanstrong

    Ray Guest

    let the reviews speak for themsleves

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmcfz10

    Ray, Feb 3, 2004
  8. "Ray" <> wrote:

    > Been waiting for some time for a decent IS mega zoom cam above the 10x
    >level (to retire my current Oly E100RS) and the FZ10 is it. I have had mine
    >for a little over a week, and while I find it to not be perfect in every
    >aspect, it looks as though it will do just fine.
    >
    > The lack of an eyecup around the viewfinder is a big minus for bright
    >daylight shooting (I am getting a workaround for this via an after market
    >eyecup I found on Ebay).Also the burst mode freezes the action in both the
    >viewfinder and LCD so you have to estimate where the subject will be, while
    >panning. Then there is the use of a proprietary battery, and finally the
    >lack of indoor focus assist light, are the only minuses I have come across
    >so far. The Image Stabilizer works beautifully and indoor shots while
    >tricky, are also nice from what I have taken so far. It is very fast camera
    >which makes using the burst mode ok because you can zero back in on the
    >action in a little over 2 seconds as this processor in this cam is lightning
    >fast so that will be ok too. The images overall are pretty well exposed,
    >lifelike and crisp in all environments and need little enhancing. I will be
    >putting up a page dedicated to this new cam shortly. Needless to say I
    >bought mine through a mail order company for 499 (US model) delivered, a
    >pretty good bang for your buck as I remember paying over $900 back in 2001
    >for a (pathetically slow) Canon Pro 90IS.

    Ray,

    thanks, very well written. From my FZ1-2 point of view I can
    surmise that your description and judgment must be dead-on,
    because I can precisely confirm all that the two cameras have in
    common. You also seem to have hit all the really important
    points.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Feb 4, 2004
  9. normanstrong

    Linda_N Guest

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in message
    > "Ray" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Been waiting for some time for a decent IS mega zoom cam above the 10x
    > >level (to retire my current Oly E100RS) and the FZ10 is it. I have had

    mine
    > >for a little over a week, and while I find it to not be perfect in every
    > >aspect, it looks as though it will do just fine.
    > >
    > > The lack of an eyecup around the viewfinder is a big minus for bright
    > >daylight shooting (I am getting a workaround for this via an after market
    > >eyecup I found on Ebay).Also the burst mode freezes the action in both

    the
    > >viewfinder and LCD so you have to estimate where the subject will be,

    while
    > >panning. Then there is the use of a proprietary battery, and finally the
    > >lack of indoor focus assist light, are the only minuses I have come

    across
    > >so far. The Image Stabilizer works beautifully and indoor shots while
    > >tricky, are also nice from what I have taken so far. It is very fast

    camera
    > >which makes using the burst mode ok because you can zero back in on the
    > >action in a little over 2 seconds as this processor in this cam is

    lightning
    > >fast so that will be ok too. The images overall are pretty well exposed,
    > >lifelike and crisp in all environments and need little enhancing. I will

    be
    > >putting up a page dedicated to this new cam shortly. Needless to say I
    > >bought mine through a mail order company for 499 (US model) delivered, a
    > >pretty good bang for your buck as I remember paying over $900 back in

    2001
    > >for a (pathetically slow) Canon Pro 90IS.

    > Ray,
    >
    > thanks, very well written. From my FZ1-2 point of view I can
    > surmise that your description and judgment must be dead-on,
    > because I can precisely confirm all that the two cameras have in
    > common. You also seem to have hit all the really important
    > points.

    Ditto on that for me too, Ray. Your point on description is very helpful, bo
    th pros and cons.

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Feb 4, 2004