Any comments on the compaq notebook that comes with a free Pc for 3000

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jeremy, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Hi All

    A friend has asked me to look at the deal on offer by compaq,
    http://www.bigbyte.co.nz/promo/freepc.html
    Basicly its a notebook that comes with a free pc, I have been able to
    pull the info on the pc its a 1200$ machine with the normal probs
    of 5400rpm drive onboard video, but suitable for my friends
    small home office needs,

    but the notebook looks like a motherless goat, It has a 2.8ghz processor
    which I assume will be celeron and with a likely slow harddrive, I have
    not been able to google any info on it at all, does anybody know of anybody
    that has this notebook and is happy or unhappy with it, does it have
    batterys
    or is it a plug in at the wall job.

    Basicly my firend wants a good pc for Word Excel and Inet. and thought
    this deal might give him a notebook for his daughter at uni.

    Dells round of deals have just ended should we look at the next round,

    Which would be a better computer dell or compaq, (most of the ppl
    I know with dell's are happy with them and they work well and are easy
    to setup. ) most of the comaqs I have seen run lots of compaq bloat software
    for machine setting and are a pain to fix and use.

    Any helpful opinions appriciated.

    Thanks

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Never buy from big byte/noel leeming/bonds. They are a ripoff.

    The PC is not free. The PC is $1200, and the notebook is $1800. I would
    suggest this advertising is suspect under commerce laws too - it is
    misleading to advertise an inflated product price and throw in a bunch of so
    called 'free' extras.

    You could get a better combo deal from dell, although their customer service
    is poor.

    Jed Meisterdude, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Jeremy

    Daniel Guest

    Re: Any comments on the compaq notebook that comes with a free Pcfor 3000

    Actually, to be fair to NL, that deal doesn't look too bad, if you look at what
    they're selling.

    The notebook CPU is a P4 (albeit the FSB is only 533MHz), and it has a Radeon 9000
    IGP (although it's SMA - still better than SIS and S3).

    The PC has an AMD 2500XP - which isn't too bad, no gutless Celeron there (well,
    pre-Celeron D anyway). HP's website has some good info on the PC.

    Plus, both PC's actually sell with MS Works Suites (Open Office will do basic Excel
    stuff fine - main thing is that MS Word is part of the deal for both machines).

    I don't like NL/B&B/BB because they're customer service is so-so, and some of
    their marketing is dodgy (like this time for instance - the PC ain't free).

    As for Dell, nice machines, lousy customer service - for the little
    guy. FYI - those cheapo Dell desktops may not have an AGP slot (the NL Compaq PC
    does).

    PS: Apologies for replying to Jed, I must've deleted the original post.

    Daniel, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Re: Any comments on the compaq notebook that comes with a free Pcfor 3000

    Jeremy wrote:
    > but the notebook looks like a motherless goat, It has a 2.8ghz processor
    > which I assume will be celeron and with a likely slow harddrive, I have
    > not been able to google any info on it at all, does anybody know of anybody
    > that has this notebook and is happy or unhappy with it, does it have
    > batterys
    > or is it a plug in at the wall job.

    the Laptops here in dunedin for that give away are Althon XP2800+

    I was looking into this, and found that I could get them seperatly
    cheaper($50)... but hey $50 is $50

    > Which would be a better computer dell or compaq, (most of the ppl
    > I know with dell's are happy with them and they work well and are easy
    > to setup. ) most of the comaqs I have seen run lots of compaq bloat software
    > for machine setting and are a pain to fix and use.

    The dells run "Dell bloat software" too... but there seems to be less of it.
    They also give you a proper XP CD, albeit a customised one, but still.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2004
  5. Jeremy

    Chris Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Jeremy wrote:
    >
    >> but the notebook looks like a motherless goat, It has a 2.8ghz processor
    >> which I assume will be celeron and with a likely slow harddrive, I have
    >> not been able to google any info on it at all, does anybody know of
    >> anybody
    >> that has this notebook and is happy or unhappy with it, does it have
    >> batterys
    >> or is it a plug in at the wall job.

    > the Laptops here in dunedin for that give away are Althon XP2800+
    >
    > I was looking into this, and found that I could get them seperatly
    > cheaper($50)... but hey $50 is $50
    >
    >> Which would be a better computer dell or compaq, (most of the ppl
    >> I know with dell's are happy with them and they work well and are easy
    >> to setup. ) most of the comaqs I have seen run lots of compaq bloat
    >> software
    >> for machine setting and are a pain to fix and use.

    > The dells run "Dell bloat software" too... but there seems to be less of
    > it.
    > They also give you a proper XP CD, albeit a customised one, but still.

    What Bloat ware ?

    Chris, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Jeremy

    Chris Guest

    Jed Meisterdude wrote:

    > Never buy from big byte/noel leeming/bonds. They are a ripoff.
    >
    > The PC is not free. The PC is $1200, and the notebook is $1800. I would
    > suggest this advertising is suspect under commerce laws too - it is
    > misleading to advertise an inflated product price and throw in a bunch of so
    > called 'free' extras.
    >
    > You could get a better combo deal from dell, although their customer service
    > is poor.

    What was the problem ? I've heard nothing but praise, but then I heard
    the same about Orcon too ...

    Chris, Sep 7, 2004
  7. Re: Any comments on the compaq notebook that comes with a free Pcfor3000

    Chris wrote:
    >> The dells run "Dell bloat software" too... but there seems to be less
    >> of it.
    >> They also give you a proper XP CD, albeit a customised one, but still.

    > What Bloat ware ?

    Just some of the Dell error reporting and monitoring software that runs
    on default installs.
    It's not really an issue if you know how to disable it.

    It was more a comment on "most of the comaqs I have seen run lots of

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 7, 2004
  8. Re: Any comments on the compaq notebook that comes with a free Pcfor 3000

    Chris wrote:
    >> You could get a better combo deal from dell, although their customer
    >> service
    >> is poor.

    > What was the problem ? I've heard nothing but praise, but then I heard
    > the same about Orcon too ...

    "Welcome to Dell india can I take your order please?"
    "Sure, I have a dead Hdd"
    "What model is it"
    "I give model"
    "I'm sorry but that model isn't supported by this helpdesk you must call
    0800xxxxxx"

    ringing 0800xxxxxx
    "Welcome to Dell india can I take your order please?"
    "Sure, I have a dead Hdd"
    "What model is it"
    "I give model"
    CSR runs through standard response sheet, even if it has nothing to do
    with the Hdd(is the monitor on etc).

    eventually you get to the end and they ask Hdd related questions.
    They send part, it arrives a week later, it is invariably the wrong
    part, you send back, two weeks later a new IDE cable arrives for no
    apparent reason, you send it back, and the hdd arrives.

    other than that, nothing wrong with them.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 7, 2004
  9. Jeremy

    Daniel Guest

    Re: Any comments on the compaq notebook that comes with a free Pcfor 3000

    Checkout http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1867.html

    These are North American responses, but, still of interest I think.

    I see they haven't shifted much in their rankings over the past 3 years.

    Daniel, Sep 7, 2004