    before printing.

    --
    Denis

    Denis Marier, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Denis Marier

    Denis Marier Guest

    I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
    system Should have read " 8 inks system".
    Thanks

    "Denis Marier" <> wrote in message
    > When shopping I got attracted by the new HP printer # 8450. It has an LCD
    > screen and uses the 8 ink cartridges system.
    > I do not know what is mean by the 8 cartridges system. It only has room

    for

    Denis Marier, Jan 31, 2005

  3. On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:39:56 GMT, "Denis Marier"
    <> wrote:

    >I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
    >system Should have read " 8 inks system".
    >Thanks

    This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
    printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.

    Oliver Costich, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Denis Marier

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Oliver Costich wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:39:56 GMT, "Denis Marier"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
    >>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
    > printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.

    This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
    will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already have
    a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Denis Marier

    Denis Marier Guest

    Asia:
    Two weeks ago I had my HP camera picked for repair and returned in 48 hours.
    Before Purolator came to my door to pick up the camera I had several
    telephone calls with HP technical staff. One time I detected a Lingala
    accent. I quickly asked for the name of the person in Lingala and he
    replied back telling me his name. I then asked if he was working from a
    Congolese call center. He replied no. He stated that he was living in
    Toronto since 2001.
    Other times, I had longs chat in english with the technical department.
    When I asked where they were located they replied California. After each
    chat I received an email transcript of all of what was said during the chat.
    Several time I had conversation in French. Again when I ask where the call
    was from they said Montreal. Their answering system uses voice recognition.
    I concluded that their evening, night shift and week end answering services
    may be outsource in Asia. If you have time to spare you should try their
    voice recognition system.

    Denis Marier, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Denis Marier

    Denis Marier Guest

    The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
    locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the cost
    of printing too much?

    At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD with a
    turned around of 1 hour.
    Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
    paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper was
    on sale for $27.92 CAD.
    I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the PhotoLab
    I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes to:
    at four prints per sheet =
    27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
    amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP everyday
    photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
    Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo lab
    print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes a
    good thing.

    Denis Marier, Jan 31, 2005
  7. Denis Marier

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Denis Marier wrote:
    > Asia:
    > Two weeks ago I had my HP camera picked for repair and returned in 48 hours.
    > Before Purolator came to my door to pick up the camera I had several
    > telephone calls with HP technical staff. One time I detected a Lingala
    > accent. I quickly asked for the name of the person in Lingala and he
    > replied back telling me his name. I then asked if he was working from a
    > Congolese call center. He replied no. He stated that he was living in
    > Toronto since 2001.
    > Other times, I had longs chat in english with the technical department.
    > When I asked where they were located they replied California. After each
    > chat I received an email transcript of all of what was said during the chat.
    > Several time I had conversation in French. Again when I ask where the call
    > was from they said Montreal. Their answering system uses voice recognition.
    > I concluded that their evening, night shift and week end answering services
    > may be outsource in Asia. If you have time to spare you should try their
    > voice recognition system.

    I find voice recognition systems VERY annoying. Maybe it is the Texas
    accent. Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2005
  8. Denis Marier

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Denis Marier wrote:
    > The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
    > locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the cost
    > of printing too much?
    >
    > At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD with a
    > turned around of 1 hour.
    > Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
    > paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper was
    > on sale for $27.92 CAD.
    > I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the PhotoLab
    > I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes to:
    > at four prints per sheet =
    > 27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
    > amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP everyday
    > photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
    > Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo lab
    > print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes a
    > good thing.

    This is a matter of what you want, as opposed to what actually works.
    Because people demand certain features, like no smear inks, and long
    lasting prints, and low prices, companies like HP have developed
    printing 'systems', where the printer, ink, and paper are all part of
    the process. HP inks and HP papers actually are designed to react
    chemically to produce better images, and longer lasting prints. I too
    would like to see cheaper paper, but those who insist that their prints
    last longer than THEY will have driven the companies to this solution.

    Sometimes you are cursed by getting what you ask for...

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2005
  9. Denis Marier

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Denis Marier wrote:
    > The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
    > locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the cost
    > of printing too much?
    >
    > At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD with a
    > turned around of 1 hour.
    > Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
    > paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper was
    > on sale for $27.92 CAD.
    > I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the PhotoLab
    > I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes to:
    > at four prints per sheet =
    > 27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
    > amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP everyday
    > photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
    > Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo lab
    > print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes a
    > good thing.

    I can get prints made on the Frontier printer at Sam's Wholesale Club
    for $.14 a picture (6x4). Unless I need a larger size (they get more
    expensive quickly), or I need the print 'right now', then I print my
    digital pictures at Sam's. The printer is reserved to special uses,
    like calendars, greeting cards, and such.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2005
  10. Denis Marier

    Denis Marier Guest

    I wonder if by using refills like those done by "Island Inkjet" are yielding
    the same or equal quality as those sold by HP?

    Denis Marier, Jan 31, 2005
  11. Denis Marier

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Denis Marier wrote:
    > I wonder if by using refills like those done by "Island Inkjet" are yielding
    > the same or equal quality as those sold by HP?

    Highly unlikely.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Feb 1, 2005
  12. Denis Marier

    measekite Guest

    It does NOT have an 8 cartridge system. It has an 8 color system. It
    hold 1 tricolor cartridge, one photo cartridge, and then your choice of
    a text black or a photo gray that has to be continually swapped. The 6
    color sibling the 8150 hold only 2 cartridges the the photo gray or the
    text black has to be swapped with the photo color cartridge. This is a
    BIG PAIN IN THE ASS! The only advantage to HP is the print head is
    built into the ink cartridge eliminating most of the problems with
    clogging. However they cost substantially more and when you run out of
    one of the multi colors you have to toss the others.

    The best inkjet printer and also the best value is the IP4000 by Canon.
    Goto to PC mag.com and read the reviews.

    measekite, Feb 1, 2005
  13. Denis Marier

    measekite Guest

    You do not want a printer that prints without a PC. It is a gimmick to
    get you to waste and buy more ink. Edit your digitized photo with a
    good editor like Photoshop Elements 3.0 that also includes an album
    organizer and print only the best. You will get better results and save
    money. Again the Canon IP4000 is the best choice.

    measekite, Feb 1, 2005
  14. Denis Marier

    measekite Guest

    I hope all of the outsourcers go out of business. Canon does their own
    USA support. They have the best printer in the IP4000 for the money.
    They have the best narrow carriage printer in the IP8500 for more
    money. For even more they have the best wide format printer in the i9900.

    measekite, Feb 1, 2005
  15. On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:37:50 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Oliver Costich wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:39:56 GMT, "Denis Marier"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
    >>>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >> This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
    >> printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.
    >>

    >This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
    >will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already have
    >a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??

    As they lost me. I had to spend 5 hours on the phone with India to fix
    a software that should have taken 10 minutes, first because they
    hadn't a clue about the product and second because I had to have
    everything repeated 2 or 3 times because of the accent.

    When that was fixed, the first print on Ilford glossy paper had roller
    marks which India told me was a defective printer and offered to
    replace my less than one day old printer for a refurb. I returned it
    to the store for another with the same problem. I finally got to an
    engineer at HP US that told me I had to use HP paper.

    My Canon iP8500 is fabulous.

    Oliver Costich, Feb 1, 2005
  16. On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:21:20 GMT, "Denis Marier"
    <> wrote:

    >The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
    >locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the cost
    >of printing too much?

    Yes. And restricts you to types they offer.

    >At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD with a
    >turned around of 1 hour.
    >Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
    >paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper was
    >on sale for $27.92 CAD.

    The best secret in glossy photo paper is Kirkland (Costco house brand)
    at 120 sheets for $20. It's repackaged Ilford Smooth Glossy and
    reduces the paper cost to lees than 4.5 cents a photo at 4 per page.

    >I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the PhotoLab
    >I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes to:
    >at four prints per sheet =
    > 27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
    >amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP everyday
    >photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
    >Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo lab
    >print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes a
    >good thing.

    I'd avoid the 8450. It's very expensive for ink and fussy for paper.
    If you have to have computerless photo printing cheack out the Canon
    iP6000D. My neighbor just got one and makes prints directly from
    compact flash cards that are far better than the photo shop
    processors. It's a lot easier on ink as well.

    Oliver Costich, Feb 1, 2005
  17. On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:55:29 GMT, measekite <>
    wrote:

    >I hope all of the outsourcers go out of business. Canon does their own
    >USA support. They have the best printer in the IP4000 for the money.
    >They have the best narrow carriage printer in the IP8500 for more
    >money. For even more they have the best wide format printer in the i9900.

    I took back the HP8450 and bought the Canon iP8500. They have the best
    "no computer needed" photo printer in the iP6000D.

    Oliver Costich, Feb 1, 2005
  18. On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:53:20 GMT, measekite <>
    wrote:

    >You do not want a printer that prints without a PC. It is a gimmick to
    >get you to waste and buy more ink. Edit your digitized photo with a
    >good editor like Photoshop Elements 3.0 that also includes an album
    >organizer and print only the best. You will get better results and save
    >money. Again the Canon IP4000 is the best choice.

    That's good if you have a PC. Even the printer supplied sotware is OK.
    But even without a PC, you get better than photo shop prints for less
    money with something lke the Canon iP6000D. My neighbor has no use for
    a PC and lovers her iP6000D. The iP6000D also has 6 colors for
    slightly better photo capability than the iP4000.

    Oliver Costich, Feb 1, 2005
  19. On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:50:46 GMT, measekite <>
    wrote:

    >It does NOT have an 8 cartridge system. It has an 8 color system. It
    >hold 1 tricolor cartridge, one photo cartridge, and then your choice of
    >a text black or a photo gray that has to be continually swapped. The 6
    >color sibling the 8150 hold only 2 cartridges the the photo gray or the
    >text black has to be swapped with the photo color cartridge. This is a
    >BIG PAIN IN THE ASS! The only advantage to HP is the print head is
    >built into the ink cartridge eliminating most of the problems with
    >clogging. However they cost substantially more and when you run out of
    >one of the multi colors you have to toss the others.

    The Canons have a removable print head that can be cleaned or even
    replced if necessary. The Epsons clog unless used almost daily. The
    Canons use less ink on a dollar basis than either Epson or HP.

    >The best inkjet printer and also the best value is the IP4000 by Canon.
    >Goto to PC mag.com and read the reviews.

    Better yet, try www.steves-digicams.com where you can find printer
    reviews geared toward photo printing.

    Oliver Costich, Feb 1, 2005
  20. Denis Marier

    measekite Guest

    The Canon IP8500 is the best narrow carriage printers on the market.
    The best value is the Canon IP4000. The best wide format is the Canon
    I9900.

    I wish Canon would make a wide format IP8500 with all of the same
    features plus a gloss optimizer using long lasting ink and would print
    at least a 16x20 size.

    measekite, Feb 1, 2005