Any Cisco AP that support WPA/PSK/TKIP with 350 series adapters and XP?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Peter, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I have some tablets with the 350 series Cisco wifi adapters (PCMCIA
    and mini-PCI and after a whole day have had to give up. They work fine
    on 64/128bit WEP but no way on WPA/PSK with TKIP.

    The AP is a Draytek 2900 router, but I have also tried it with the
    Linksys 54G wifi router (latest firmware).

    The Cisco Aironet Client Utility (latest one) has various WPA options
    in it (all with authentication options which I don't understand and
    which my routers don't offer anyway) but none of them are directly
    WPA/PSK with TKIP and asking for the entry of the *single* passphrase.
    Funnily enough most of today's "cheap" routers offer this.

    So I used WinXP wifi config instead which does have support for it,
    but while it finds the AP it refuses to connect.

    The Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA wifi adapter works fine, WEP or WPA, using
    the config in XP.

    Incidentally, the 350 series client doesn't seem to work if I stop
    SSID broadcast.

    So I am looking at buying a Cisco AP.

    Peter.
    E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

    Peter, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Peter

    Uli Link Guest

    Re: Any Cisco AP that support WPA/PSK/TKIP with 350 series adaptersand XP?

    > So I am looking at buying a Cisco AP.

    All Cisco Aironet APs running IOS will work with WPA-PSK
    The 350 series radios need fw greater 5.30.17.

    Take a look at Funk Software's Odyssee Client.
    Or consider using WPA with LEAP or EAP-FAST with the embedded RADIUS
    server if you only have few clients.

    --
    Uli

    These opinions are mine. All found typos are yours.

    Uli Link, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Uli Link <> wrote

    >All Cisco Aironet APs running IOS will work with WPA-PSK
    >The 350 series radios need fw greater 5.30.17.

    Doesn't the latest ACU automatically upgrade the firmware? I have
    5.60.08.

    >Take a look at Funk Software's Odyssee Client.
    >Or consider using WPA with LEAP or EAP-FAST with the embedded RADIUS
    >server if you only have few clients.

    What I need to know is how to configure this stuff. The Cisco ACU
    offers WPA with

    LEAP
    EAP-FAST
    Host Based EAP

    while my Draytek router offers

    WEP
    WEP/802.1x only
    WEP or WPA/PSK
    WEP 802.1x or WPA 802.1x
    WPA/PSK only
    WPA/802.1x only

    and can't make sense of how these relate to each other.

    A potential problem is that I also have some laptops whose wifi
    adaptors don't support WPA except via the XP config, and that one
    doesn't seem to offer most of what the Draytek offers. I would need to
    find a common denominator, or get more than one wifi AP connected up.

    Peter, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Peter

    Sergio Guest

    The problem is that ACU doesn't support WPA-PSK even with the lastest
    versión, I had the same problem. The utility for the new a/b/g cards,
    Aironet Desktop Utility (ADU), handle it, but it doesn't work with the
    350 series card.
    ACU support WPA/802.1x, but if you can't deploy 802.1x I think that the
    better option is to use WPA-PSK configuring the client adapter through
    Windows XP instead of through ACU.

    Sergio, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Sergio" <> wrote:

    >The problem is that ACU doesn't support WPA-PSK even with the lastest
    >versión, I had the same problem. The utility for the new a/b/g cards,
    >Aironet Desktop Utility (ADU), handle it, but it doesn't work with the
    >350 series card.
    >ACU support WPA/802.1x, but if you can't deploy 802.1x I think that the
    >better option is to use WPA-PSK configuring the client adapter through
    >Windows XP instead of through ACU.

    OK, thank you, that confirms my understanding. Except that I can't get
    WPA/PSK working through XP either :)

    One day I will try the 802.1x thingy.

    Peter, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Uli Link <> wrote

    >Take a look at Funk Software's Odyssee Client.
    >Or consider using WPA with LEAP or EAP-FAST with the embedded RADIUS
    >server if you only have few clients.

    I am picking up an older thread started by myself:

    I have looked at Funk Software Oddyssey Client but it seems to support
    only the same varieties of WPA that the Cisco 350 ACU does. Initially
    their support told me that it will support WPA/PSK but when I pressed
    them, quoting their website spec which doesn't mention it, they didn't
    reply anymore...

    Here's a summary:

    The Cisco ACU offers WPA with

    LEAP
    EAP-FAST
    Host Based EAP

    while my Draytek router offers

    WEP
    WEP/802.1x only
    WEP or WPA/PSK
    WEP 802.1x or WPA 802.1x
    WPA/PSK only
    WPA/802.1x only

    and can't make sense of how these relate to each other.

    An alternative: I am sorry to ask a stupid question but let's say I
    buy a Cisco AP like this one

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86765&item=5763848301&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    will this offer me similar "unbreakable" security to WPA/PSK without
    me having to do complicated configuration? I like WPA/PSK because
    there is just ONE passphrase to enter and provided that is strong then
    it should be secure enough. I don't understand the more complex
    protocols that seem to support secure key distribution - there is so
    much to read!

    Peter, Apr 9, 2005