    don't mind.

    Thanks in advance
    , Jun 21, 2004

  2. Chuck Guest

    > Any Canon A60 owners out there?
    >
    > My sister bought one and I have a few questions if you
    > don't mind.

    Many of us have one of the Axx serie. What is your question ?
    Chuck, Jun 21, 2004

  3. rs Guest

    Ask away . .

    In article <>,
    says...

    rs, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Guest

    >Ask away . .

    Thanks guys!!

    OK....first off I don't know much at all abt digital
    cameras. I don't even own one myself. However I am
    "computer support" for my family. They call me with
    computer type questions as I do IT work for a living.

    Having said that..... what formats will this A60 spit
    pictures out in? Is it JPEG only?? And... what is
    RAW? Which is best to save in?

    Also...... does my sister REALLy need to install the
    included software that came with her A60? She is
    running Win XP Home so Im thinking she really doesn't
    need to install that software in order to download any
    pics off the camera. True?

    Wont her PC just "see" the A60 as another "drive" when
    hooked up vi the USB cable? And cant she just copy and
    move pictures of that camera TO her hard drive using
    explorer and basic copy and paste operations? Or is
    ther some REAL benefit to installing the supplied
    software?

    She already has Irfanview on the PC

    My sister is not very savvy abt computers.... hence my
    desire to keep this as simple as possible and not
    "confuse" her with even more software to install and
    learn.

    Advice?

    thanks in advance!
    , Jun 21, 2004
  5. rs Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >>Ask away . .

    >Thanks guys!!
    >
    >OK....first off I don't know much at all abt digital
    >cameras. I don't even own one myself. However I am
    >"computer support" for my family. They call me with
    >computer type questions as I do IT work for a living.
    >
    >Having said that..... what formats will this A60 spit
    >pictures out in? Is it JPEG only?? And... what is
    >RAW? Which is best to save in?

    jpeg only, use the largest size and highest quality.

    >Also...... does my sister REALLy need to install the
    >included software that came with her A60? She is
    >running Win XP Home so Im thinking she really doesn't
    >need to install that software in order to download any
    >pics off the camera. True?

    Buy a separate Compact Flash USB reader, officemax has
    them for free after rebate right now. Don't mess with
    the Canon software, its slow.

    >Wont her PC just "see" the A60 as another "drive" when
    >hooked up vi the USB cable? And cant she just copy and
    >move pictures of that camera TO her hard drive using
    >explorer and basic copy and paste operations? Or is
    >ther some REAL benefit to installing the supplied
    >software?

    No, its not that simple with the suppled USB cable and
    you're much better off, faster, to buy a separate reader,
    they're dirt cheap or free as I said above.

    >She already has Irfanview on the PC

    Once the images are transferred to the computer, you can
    use any program that reads jpeg files. Also some printers
    have built in card readers that let's you plug the card
    into the printer and print without even going through
    your computer.

    rs, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Guest

    >No, its not that simple with the suppled USB cable and
    >you're much better off, faster, to buy a separate reader,
    >they're dirt cheap or free as I said above.

    How is a separate card reader "better" than just using
    the USB cable and connecting to the PC that way?

    Is it faster using a card reader or what?
    , Jun 22, 2004
  7. Guest

    >Don't mess with
    >the Canon software, its slow.

    OK

    That's what I thought
    , Jun 22, 2004
  8. Gonzo Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > >No, its not that simple with the suppled USB cable and
    > >you're much better off, faster, to buy a separate reader,
    > >they're dirt cheap or free as I said above.

    > How is a separate card reader "better" than just using
    > the USB cable and connecting to the PC that way?
    >
    > Is it faster using a card reader or what?

    Well I just use the suplied cable and it is fast for me. I just do not use
    Canon's software. Why should I? WinXP works just fine with it's built in
    picture transfer protocal.

    Is a card reader more convenient? Not really. Takes more time to take the
    damn card out and insert it. A docking station is the best but both a
    station and a reader cost money. My USB cable is already paid for. It's a
    no brainer.

    In any case, I do not think Canon even makes a station for the A60.
    Gonzo, Jun 22, 2004
  9. Martik Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >>No, its not that simple with the suppled USB cable and
    >>you're much better off, faster, to buy a separate reader,
    >>they're dirt cheap or free as I said above.

    > How is a separate card reader "better" than just using
    > the USB cable and connecting to the PC that way?
    >
    > Is it faster using a card reader or what?

    I just use the usb cable and XP detects the A60 as another 'drive'. It's
    much easier than removing the flash card every time.
    Martik, Jun 22, 2004
  10. wrote in message news:<>...
    > Any Canon A60 owners out there?
    >
    > My sister bought one and I have a few questions if you
    > don't mind.

    What a heap of junk. She couldn't even shell out the extra $60 for the
    A70? Actually, that's a piece of junk too.
    Orville Wright, Jun 22, 2004
  11. Ron Hunter Guest

    Orville Wright wrote:
    > wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Any Canon A60 owners out there?
    >>
    >>My sister bought one and I have a few questions if you
    >>don't mind.

    > What a heap of junk. She couldn't even shell out the extra $60 for the
    > A70? Actually, that's a piece of junk too.

    It is painfully obvious that you don't understand that quality in a
    photograph is much more dependent on the photographer than the camera.

    If he had told you that was an SD10, you would have raved, now wouldn't you?
    Ron Hunter, Jun 22, 2004
  12. Gonzo Guest

    > >>Any Canon A60 owners out there?
    > >>
    > >>My sister bought one and I have a few questions if you
    > >>don't mind.

    > > What a heap of junk. She couldn't even shell out the extra $60 for the
    > > A70? Actually, that's a piece of junk too.

    > It is painfully obvious that you don't understand that quality in a
    > photograph is much more dependent on the photographer than the camera.
    >
    > If he had told you that was an SD10, you would have raved, now wouldn't

    you?

    My guess is that he paid way TOO much for his own camera and feels the need
    to justify his overexpendeture to himself by bashing the best buy segment of
    us casual photo takers.
    Gonzo, Jun 22, 2004
  13. Guest

    >Well I just use the suplied cable and it is fast for me. I just do not use
    >Canon's software. Why should I? WinXP works just fine with it's built in
    >picture transfer protocal.

    Bingo!! That's what I needed to know!

    How do I access Win XP's picture xfer protocol tho?
    , Jun 22, 2004
  14. Guest

    >I just use the usb cable and XP detects the A60 as another 'drive'. It's
    >much easier than removing the flash card every time.

    OK

    Thanks
    , Jun 22, 2004
  15. Guest

    >What a heap of junk. She couldn't even shell out the extra $60 for the
    >A70? Actually, that's a piece of junk too.

    Why?

    Seems to have gotten good reviews on usenet and such

    What's your beef abt it?
    , Jun 22, 2004
  16. Dave Cohen Guest

    xp transfers images just fine, as long as you don't mind losing the original
    numbering, and I do.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jun 22, 2004
  17. Dave Cohen Guest

    Pardon me, I thought his first comment fell under the heading of raving.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jun 22, 2004
  18. Guest

    >xp transfers images just fine, as long as you don't mind losing the original
    >numbering, and I do.

    Hmmm..... Im dumb abt all this

    Can you explain the above?
    , Jun 22, 2004
  19. Gonzo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > >Well I just use the suplied cable and it is fast for me. I just do not

    use
    > >Canon's software. Why should I? WinXP works just fine with it's built

    in
    > >picture transfer protocal.

    > Bingo!! That's what I needed to know!
    >
    > How do I access Win XP's picture xfer protocol tho?

    It's automatic when you plug the camera in in playback mode and turn it on.

    Just follow the directions and your done. XP will walk you through it.
    Gonzo, Jun 22, 2004
  20. Gonzo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > >xp transfers images just fine, as long as you don't mind losing the

    original
    > >numbering, and I do.

    > Hmmm..... Im dumb abt all this
    >
    > Can you explain the above?

    I think he's talking about Canon's way of numbering the picture's file names
    numerically but this makes no sense to me as XP does the same thing.

    Not sure what Canon's software does that XP doesnt do. Maybe he could
    elaborate for you. WinXP numbers the files, just in it's own way or
    whatever file name you specify i.e. photo 023.jpg or picture 023.jpg etc.
    Whatever file name you want to use.

    In my own Picture folder, I have XP save the file names as:

    Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg

    and so on. Works great.

    Why add more uneeded software if it basically does the same thing? Perhaps
    the Canon software has some great feature that people can't live with out.

    Anybody?
    Gonzo, Jun 22, 2004