    in and upload my images to it?

    Many thanks

    PeterH
    PeterH, Sep 25, 2003

  2. PeterH

    Ben Guest

    Hi Peter,

    I just found a useful ability for my Canon G1, it came with RemoteCapture
    2.7 software, this allows me to setup the camera connected to my computer
    and my computer can control the camera, and save the images direct to my HD.
    Since I am doing cataloging work, it saves the step of transferring to the
    computer, AND I have 10k of images I can take on my HD with only 5 gb left!
    So you could use your USB drive that way too.

    Ben

    Of course, the G2-5 probably do even more with that connection, e.g. with
    the G2 you can see through the viewfinder (LCD) before taking the shot.

    Ben, Sep 25, 2003

  3. PeterH

    WebKatz Guest

    "Ben" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > I just found a useful ability for my Canon G1, it came with RemoteCapture
    > 2.7 software, this allows me to setup the camera connected to my computer
    > and my computer can control the camera, and save the images direct to my

    HD.

    Any kind of Remote Capture available for the Oly C5050?
    WebKatz, Sep 25, 2003
  4. PeterH

    Guest

    WebKatz <> wrote:

    >"Ben" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Peter,
    >>
    >> I just found a useful ability for my Canon G1, it came with RemoteCapture
    >> 2.7 software, this allows me to setup the camera connected to my computer
    >> and my computer can control the camera, and save the images direct to my

    >HD.

    >Any kind of Remote Capture available for the Oly C5050?

    Try www.gphoto.org
    Olympus C5050Z is listed as supported.
    , Sep 25, 2003
  5. PeterH

    Guest

    Ben <> wrote:
    >Hi Peter,

    >I just found a useful ability for my Canon G1, it came with RemoteCapture
    >2.7 software, this allows me to setup the camera connected to my computer
    >and my computer can control the camera, and save the images direct to my HD.
    >Since I am doing cataloging work, it saves the step of transferring to the
    >computer, AND I have 10k of images I can take on my HD with only 5 gb left!
    >So you could use your USB drive that way too.

    The camera is likely to act as a usb 'device' rather than a master. Meaning it
    takes commands and executes them. And won't give them..
    So unless your camera has some special usb 'master' mode. It's not likely to
    be able to use any usb drives. And don't think any other camera will do
    anything similar either.

    If you really want to use an usb drive. Then you would need to construct a
    small computer with two usb ports. One for the camera and one for the usb
    drive. The computer would then need to activly move pictures (files) from the
    camera to the usb drive. As most cameras won't send commands the usb bus.

    Another approach is to have an IDE interface instead of the second usb port
    in which you could save it on a harddisc in the field.. ;)

    /P
    , Sep 25, 2003
  6. PeterH wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a 256mb usb flash drive and am thinking of purchasing a
    > digital camera. The camera needs to take lots of very high quality
    > pictures so running out of memory would be a major issue.
    >
    > I know cameras use all sorts of strange and incompatible cards to
    > increase their memory. Seems a pity to waste my flash drive though -
    > is there any camera available where I could just plug my flash drive
    > in and upload my images to it?

    No. This won't work since the camera does not have the capability to
    act as a "host" to your USB flash drive.

    Besides, since a 256MB compact flash card costs about 1/2 to 2/3 what
    the 256MB USB Flash drive you would be better off simply buying an extra
    Compact flash card for your camera.
    Andrew McDonald, Sep 25, 2003
  7. PeterH

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a 256mb usb flash drive and am thinking of purchasing a
    > digital camera. The camera needs to take lots of very high quality
    > pictures so running out of memory would be a major issue.
    >
    > I know cameras use all sorts of strange and incompatible cards to
    > increase their memory. Seems a pity to waste my flash drive though -
    > is there any camera available where I could just plug my flash drive
    > in and upload my images to it?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > PeterH

    No it won't for many reasons. First of all, the camera doesn't know how
    to write to the drive. Second, it would be physically impossible to plug
    the drive into the camera. Third, 256 meg CF cards can be had for about
    $40 so why is this even an issue?

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 25, 2003
  8. PeterH

    Stewy Guest

    "PeterH" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a 256mb usb flash drive and am thinking of purchasing a
    > digital camera. The camera needs to take lots of very high quality
    > pictures so running out of memory would be a major issue.
    >
    > I know cameras use all sorts of strange and incompatible cards to
    > increase their memory. Seems a pity to waste my flash drive though -
    > is there any camera available where I could just plug my flash drive
    > in and upload my images to it?

    I don't think you'll be able to use it without an intermediate computer. I
    tried the same sort of thing with an iPod and that didn't work. You need
    some kind of software to enable the flashdrive to recognise what you are
    putting there.
    Stewy, Sep 26, 2003
  9. PeterH

    PeterH Guest

    Todd Walker <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I've got a 256mb usb flash drive and am thinking of purchasing a
    > > digital camera. The camera needs to take lots of very high quality
    > > pictures so running out of memory would be a major issue.
    > >
    > > I know cameras use all sorts of strange and incompatible cards to
    > > increase their memory. Seems a pity to waste my flash drive though -
    > > is there any camera available where I could just plug my flash drive
    > > in and upload my images to it?

    > No it won't for many reasons. First of all, the camera doesn't know how
    > to write to the drive. Second, it would be physically impossible to plug
    > the drive into the camera. Third, 256 meg CF cards can be had for about
    > $40 so why is this even an issue?

    You have a point, the cards are (relatively) cheap. But like I said,
    as I've got one form of flash storage already it seems wasteful to
    have to go and buy another sort.

    I do recall that way back when, digital cameras came with a built in
    3.5in disk drive, which wrote msdos disks. If they could figure out
    how do that, where's the difficulty in writing to a USB flash drive?

    ...PeterH
    PeterH, Sep 26, 2003
  10. PeterH

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I do recall that way back when, digital cameras came with a built in
    > 3.5in disk drive, which wrote msdos disks. If they could figure out
    > how do that, where's the difficulty in writing to a USB flash drive?

    I'm sure if the manufacturers had any reason to do this, it wouldn't be
    a problem. But it's a stupid thing to do for many reasons:

    1. I would rather have a card INSIDE the camera than a thumb drive
    sticking out the side of it

    2. The full size USB connector that would have to be on the camera is
    much larger than the mini connectors that are on cameras now

    3. Thumb drives are considerably more expensive than CF storage

    You are asking to be able to do something that is inferior to the
    current system.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 26, 2003
  11. PeterH

    Eric Gisin Guest

    | > No it won't for many reasons. First of all, the camera doesn't know how
    | > to write to the drive. Second, it would be physically impossible to plug
    | > the drive into the camera. Third, 256 meg CF cards can be had for about
    | > $40 so why is this even an issue?
    |
    | You have a point, the cards are (relatively) cheap. But like I said,
    | as I've got one form of flash storage already it seems wasteful to
    | have to go and buy another sort.
    |
    | I do recall that way back when, digital cameras came with a built in
    | 3.5in disk drive, which wrote msdos disks. If they could figure out
    | how do that, where's the difficulty in writing to a USB flash drive?

    USB requires one device to act as the host. This is normally a computer, but
    many photo printer do too.

    A host controller is an order of magnitude more complex than the device
    controller currently in cameras.
    Eric Gisin, Sep 26, 2003
  12. PeterH

    WebKatz Guest

    ....256 meg CF cards can be had for about $40...

    I am in the market for some. $40, are they good ones? From whom please?
    WebKatz, Sep 30, 2003
  13. >

    If you feel like slogging through Dell's site, they had a really good price
    on Kingston. Coupled with a $15 rebate, valid through the end of
    September, brought the price to about $36. Even without the Dell deal,
    Amazon's price is usually reasonable, and subtract the $15 from that.

    Check fatwallet, and try their search engine. I can't find my receipt just
    now...

    If you can't find the rebate form, let me know (here), and I can email it.
    I have it in PDF.
    Robert A. Barr, Sep 30, 2003
  14. PeterH

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > "Todd Walker" <> wrote in message
    >
    > ...256 meg CF cards can be had for about $40...
    >
    > I am in the market for some. $40, are they good ones? From whom please?

    I bought one a couple of weeks ago from Amazon for $39.99. It is a
    Viking card. I think it was a special because they are back up to $54.99
    after rebate now but keep an eye on the deal sites and you can find them
    for around $40.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 30, 2003
  15. "WebKatz" <> wrote in message

    > "Todd Walker" <> wrote in message
    >
    > ...256 meg CF cards can be had for about $40...
    >
    > I am in the market for some. $40, are they good ones? From whom please?

    Amazon.com and www.buy.com had the Viking 256MB CF for $29.99 after a
    $10 rebate. I got one to go with the $78 after rebate Viking 512MB CF I got
    this spring. Its hard to beat prices like that. }:) Oh, and yes, the 512 has been
    in use in my camera all spring and summer and works just great.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "When children have to play inside so they don't disappear
    While private eyes solve marriage lies cause we dont talk for years
    And football teams are kissing queens and losing sight of having dreams
    In a world where all we want is only what we want until it's ours"
    Dan Wojciechowski, Sep 30, 2003