    I'm looking to spend up to about £150 (£200 tops).

    Thanks very much in advance,
    James.

    James Lawrence, May 12, 2004

  2. James Lawrence

    dave Guest

    I can sell you a POwershot A70 for £150?
    6 months old, and I'll throw in 8 rechargeable batteries and charger, soft
    case???

    dave, May 12, 2004

  3. James Lawrence

    bagal Guest

    Does a Fuji FinePix A405 at less than 80 spondoolies sound good to you?

    It is a 2Mp with interpolation to 4Mp

    If your Mum is a bit like me and needs reading glasses the (relatively)
    large dial to switch from still to review to movie mode is a real doddle and
    beats menu driven systems (IMHO)

    There are no complicated or overly complicated menus either. The only real
    danger is switching to Macro mode without realising it. If the 405's in
    auto it works around that possible glitch

    IMHO 6 by 4 and 7 by 5 prints are the best I have ever seen - better than
    film based cameras period

    the bagal has landed

    bagal, May 12, 2004
  4. James Lawrence

    dirtycow Guest

    > Hi folks.
    >
    > Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
    > It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.
    >
    > The main criteria I'm looking for are:
    >
    > 1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
    > 2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
    > 3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)
    >
    > I'm looking to spend up to about £150 (£200 tops).

    I've got a Nikon Coolpix 995 in mint condition, boxed, that you can have for
    £190. Heres a review:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp995/

    Its a 3.34 megapixel with a 4X zoom. If you'd like any more info, drop me an
    email:
    matt (AT) feenster (DOT) co (DOT) uk

    Cheers,
    Matt

    dirtycow, May 12, 2004
  5. "James Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
    > It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.
    >
    > The main criteria I'm looking for are:
    >
    > 1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
    > 2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
    > 3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)
    >
    > I'm looking to spend up to about £150 (£200 tops).
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance,
    > James.
    >
    > There arre lots of choices, especially if oyu choose a 2 MP camera, which

    will make perfectly fine snapshot-sized prints. If mom has a film camera
    she is comfortable with, perhaps a digicam of the same make will look and
    operate much like the film camera, which will make the change easier for
    her.

    I did that for my wife's birthday 2 1/2 years ago. She was happy to have
    it, but announced that she would contoinue to use her film camera as well.
    She soon forgot about film.

    Marvin Margoshes, May 13, 2004
  6. James Lawrence

    Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:28:22 -0400, "Marvin Margoshes"
    <> wrote:

    >"James Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi folks.
    >>
    >> Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
    >> It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.
    >>
    >> The main criteria I'm looking for are:
    >>
    >> 1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
    >> 2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
    >> 3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)
    >>
    >> I'm looking to spend up to about £150 (£200 tops).
    >>
    >> Thanks very much in advance,
    >> James.
    >>
    >> There arre lots of choices, especially if oyu choose a 2 MP camera, which

    >will make perfectly fine snapshot-sized prints. If mom has a film camera
    >she is comfortable with, perhaps a digicam of the same make will look and
    >operate much like the film camera, which will make the change easier for
    >her.
    >
    >I did that for my wife's birthday 2 1/2 years ago. She was happy to have
    >it, but announced that she would contoinue to use her film camera as well.
    >She soon forgot about film.

    he Sony F717 would be on of the best bargains..

    , May 15, 2004
  7. James Lawrence

    Gr@y Guest

    Gr@y, May 15, 2004
  8. James Lawrence

    kreb Guest

    Keith said:

    I think you are wise to stay with the,minimum in case she wants 8x10s.

    Stay with, pure, point and shoot, if she wants good pictures with relative
    ease of use.. I had a Sony 5.? at 3.?mp once and it just took perfect point
    and shoot pictures. If your mom wants something more elaborate then look to
    the Fuji s5000 on auto.

    I have mentioned Sony and Fuji because I had the Sony and Fuji s5000 and I
    liked both but I am the type of person that needs full control for
    focussing, flash etc. so I am looking at the Fuji s7000.

    Many here have recommended other models, and I agree, the Sony and Fuji are
    not the only good cameras.

    Good luck if I can help let me know.

    Let us not underestimate the knowledge and ability of a 60 year old, they
    are in some instances much smarter than most. Intelligence is not limited
    to the younger aged human animal.

    I think you are smart in considering a digital camera for your mother.

    Keith

    kreb, May 15, 2004