    way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    Robert Peirce, Jul 10, 2012

  2. In article <>,
    Robert Peirce <> wrote:

    > I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    > with a camera on a tripod. I want to combine some of them but I need a
    > way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    > combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    > a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    I forgot to mention I am using OS X on a Mac, not some variant of
    Windows.

    Robert Peirce, Jul 10, 2012

  3. Robert Peirce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert
    Peirce <> wrote:

    > I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    > with a camera on a tripod. I want to combine some of them but I need a
    > way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    > combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    > a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    photoshop definitely will and any decent image editing app will do it.

    the problem will be masking it exactly, but if it's truly black (or
    close to it) it won't be that hard.

    nospam, Jul 10, 2012
  4. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:09:51 -0400, Robert Peirce
    <> wrote:

    >I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    >with a camera on a tripod. I want to combine some of them but I need a
    >way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    >combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    >a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    Others will help you do this, but the best way is to shoot on "B" with
    the lens staying open during multiple bursts of fireworks. Just hold
    a black piece of cardboard in front of the lens between bursts.
    Remove it for each burst. You'll have one image with several bursts
    of fireworks.

    Even without a "B" setting, you can use the Auto setting with the
    cardboard. Trip the lens before removing the cardboard, remove it for
    about three seconds during the burst, block the lens with the
    cardboard again, repeat.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  5. Robert Peirce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    > >with a camera on a tripod. I want to combine some of them but I need a
    > >way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    > >combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    > >a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    > Others will help you do this, but the best way is to shoot on "B" with
    > the lens staying open during multiple bursts of fireworks. Just hold
    > a black piece of cardboard in front of the lens between bursts.
    > Remove it for each burst. You'll have one image with several bursts
    > of fireworks.

    it's a bit late for that. maybe next time try reading what he wrote.

    nospam, Jul 11, 2012
  6. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:31:22 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Robert
    >Peirce <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    >> with a camera on a tripod. I want to combine some of them but I need a
    >> way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    >> combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    >> a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    >photoshop definitely will and any decent image editing app will do it.
    >
    >the problem will be masking it exactly, but if it's truly black (or
    >close to it) it won't be that hard.

    What nonsense! Once again, you offer advice something you don't
    understand.

    You don't use a mask to do this. You load the various images as
    individual layers in Photoshop, set the layers to Screen blend mode,
    move the burst area around to suit and delete the non-wanted part of
    the layer using the marquee tool and then inverse, and flatten as one
    image when done. The Screen mode drops the black of the sky leaving
    just the colors of the burst.

    This is pretty basic PS stuff. Can be done in Gimp, but the Screen
    blend mode has a different name in Gimp.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  7. Robert Peirce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    > >> with a camera on a tripod. I want to combine some of them but I need a
    > >> way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    > >> combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    > >> a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    > >photoshop definitely will and any decent image editing app will do it.
    > >
    > >the problem will be masking it exactly, but if it's truly black (or
    > >close to it) it won't be that hard.

    > What nonsense! Once again, you offer advice something you don't
    > understand.

    wrong, as always.

    > You don't use a mask to do this. You load the various images as
    > individual layers in Photoshop, set the layers to Screen blend mode,
    > move the burst area around to suit and delete the non-wanted part of
    > the layer using the marquee tool and then inverse, and flatten as one
    > image when done. The Screen mode drops the black of the sky leaving
    > just the colors of the burst.

    like everything in photoshop, there are many ways to do something.
    which one to use depends on a number of factors. your way produces
    different results than masking (i just tried it).

    nospam, Jul 11, 2012
  8. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:29:37 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> >I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    >> >with a camera on a tripod. I want to combine some of them but I need a
    >> >way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    >> >combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    >> >a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    >> Others will help you do this, but the best way is to shoot on "B" with
    >> the lens staying open during multiple bursts of fireworks. Just hold
    >> a black piece of cardboard in front of the lens between bursts.
    >> Remove it for each burst. You'll have one image with several bursts
    >> of fireworks.

    >it's a bit late for that. maybe next time try reading what he wrote.

    What do you think "others will help you do this" means? It's such a
    basic technique that I was sure someone would mention layers and the
    Screen blending mode. It wasn't until you made that ridiculous
    statement about the need to use a layer mask that I realized the OP
    would be misled.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  9. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:45:02 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >photoshop definitely will and any decent image editing app will do it.
    >> >
    >> >the problem will be masking it exactly, but if it's truly black (or
    >> >close to it) it won't be that hard.

    >> What nonsense! Once again, you offer advice something you don't
    >> understand.

    >wrong, as always.
    >
    >> You don't use a mask to do this. You load the various images as
    >> individual layers in Photoshop, set the layers to Screen blend mode,
    >> move the burst area around to suit and delete the non-wanted part of
    >> the layer using the marquee tool and then inverse, and flatten as one
    >> image when done. The Screen mode drops the black of the sky leaving
    >> just the colors of the burst.

    >like everything in photoshop, there are many ways to do something.
    >which one to use depends on a number of factors. your way produces
    >different results than masking (i just tried it).

    The fact that you just tried the way I suggested in the few minutes
    between the posts pretty much proves it's the way to do it even if you
    don't know how to do it well. You'd still be working on a layer mask
    for one layer with your way.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  10. Robert Peirce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> Others will help you do this, but the best way is to shoot on "B" with
    > >> the lens staying open during multiple bursts of fireworks. Just hold
    > >> a black piece of cardboard in front of the lens between bursts.
    > >> Remove it for each burst. You'll have one image with several bursts
    > >> of fireworks.

    > >it's a bit late for that. maybe next time try reading what he wrote.

    > What do you think "others will help you do this" means?

    he's asking how to combine his *existing* photos, not to listen to you
    tell him his technique is wrong, which it may not be since there's no
    evidence he didn't use a long exposure. yet another instance of you
    talking out your ass.

    > It's such a
    > basic technique that I was sure someone would mention layers and the
    > Screen blending mode. It wasn't until you made that ridiculous
    > statement about the need to use a layer mask that I realized the OP
    > would be misled.

    he would not be misled because my method works exceedingly well. the
    two methods produce *different* results and which one he prefers is up
    to him.

    nospam, Jul 11, 2012
  11. Robert Peirce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> You don't use a mask to do this. You load the various images as
    > >> individual layers in Photoshop, set the layers to Screen blend mode,
    > >> move the burst area around to suit and delete the non-wanted part of
    > >> the layer using the marquee tool and then inverse, and flatten as one
    > >> image when done. The Screen mode drops the black of the sky leaving
    > >> just the colors of the burst.

    > >like everything in photoshop, there are many ways to do something.
    > >which one to use depends on a number of factors. your way produces
    > >different results than masking (i just tried it).

    > The fact that you just tried the way I suggested in the few minutes
    > between the posts pretty much proves it's the way to do it even if you
    > don't know how to do it well.

    nonsense. there are many ways to do things in photoshop. there is no
    right way to do anything. your way produces different results than mine
    and he can try both and see which one he likes better. or he can
    experiment and come up another way.

    > You'd still be working on a layer mask
    > for one layer with your way.

    big deal. using layer masks is basic photoshop, even more so than
    blending modes.

    nospam, Jul 11, 2012
  12. Robert Peirce

    otter Guest

    On Jul 10, 5:09 pm, Robert Peirce <> wrote:
    > I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    > with a camera on a tripod.  I want to combine some of them but I need a
    > way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    > combining them.  Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    > a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.

    Hey Robert, if you figure it out, post a link to your pictures. Or
    even if you don't.

    otter, Jul 11, 2012
  13. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:09:02 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >like everything in photoshop, there are many ways to do something.
    >> >which one to use depends on a number of factors. your way produces
    >> >different results than masking (i just tried it).

    >> The fact that you just tried the way I suggested in the few minutes
    >> between the posts pretty much proves it's the way to do it even if you
    >> don't know how to do it well.

    >nonsense. there are many ways to do things in photoshop. there is no
    >right way to do anything. your way produces different results than mine
    >and he can try both and see which one he likes better. or he can
    >experiment and come up another way.
    >
    >> You'd still be working on a layer mask
    >> for one layer with your way.

    >big deal. using layer masks is basic photoshop, even more so than
    >blending modes.

    There may not be a right way, but there is usually a better way.

    Why not just admit that you didn't know about the screen blending mode
    method (proven since you had to try it) and that it's the better way
    to do the job asked for? Be honest for once.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  14. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:49:30 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >it's a bit late for that. maybe next time try reading what he wrote.

    >> What do you think "others will help you do this" means?

    >he's asking how to combine his *existing* photos, not to listen to you
    >tell him his technique is wrong, which it may not be since there's no
    >evidence he didn't use a long exposure. yet another instance of you
    >talking out your ass.

    >> It's such a
    >> basic technique that I was sure someone would mention layers and the
    >> Screen blending mode. It wasn't until you made that ridiculous
    >> statement about the need to use a layer mask that I realized the OP
    >> would be misled.

    >he would not be misled because my method works exceedingly well.

    No, it doesn't. It only practical if the bursts are to be completely
    separate in the final image. That greatly limits the project. If
    there's any overlap, meticulous removal of the sky in the top layer of
    each combined set is required. It'll be July 4th, 2013 before an
    image would be done your way.

    The screen blending mode method would result in a final image in
    minutes. The suggestion for the long exposure and cardboard block
    could be useful to him come New Year's Eve. Or, even Guy Fawkes
    Night.

    You just got caught out recommending an impractical method and don't
    want to admit it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  15. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:18:47 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-07-10 18:09:02 -0700, nospam <> said:

    >>> The fact that you just tried the way I suggested in the few minutes
    >>> between the posts pretty much proves it's the way to do it even if you
    >>> don't know how to do it well.

    >> nonsense. there are many ways to do things in photoshop. there is no
    >> right way to do anything. your way produces different results than mine
    >> and he can try both and see which one he likes better. or he can
    >> experiment and come up another way.
    >>
    >>> You'd still be working on a layer mask
    >>> for one layer with your way.

    >> big deal. using layer masks is basic photoshop, even more so than
    >> blending modes.

    >If you guys had been paying attention, we don't even know what editing
    >software the OP has, or has access to. Everybody is getting ahead of
    >themselves assuming he has any version of Photoshop to work with.
    >
    >I agree that using any one of several PS image mending methods would be
    >the way to go, but we have yet to here from the OP what software he has
    >to use with his Mac.

    What do you want said, Duck? We can either say "You can't do it" or
    "You can do it this way if you have so-and-so".

    He can use Gimp or try an free evaluation download of Elements if he
    doesn't already have PS.

    >He is certainly not going to be able to do what he wants with iPhoto.

    I have no idea what iPhoto does.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  16. Robert Peirce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> It's such a
    > >> basic technique that I was sure someone would mention layers and the
    > >> Screen blending mode. It wasn't until you made that ridiculous
    > >> statement about the need to use a layer mask that I realized the OP
    > >> would be misled.

    > >he would not be misled because my method works exceedingly well.

    > No, it doesn't.

    nonsense. it works very well. once again you are talking out your ass.

    > It only practical if the bursts are to be completely
    > separate in the final image. That greatly limits the project. If
    > there's any overlap, meticulous removal of the sky in the top layer of
    > each combined set is required. It'll be July 4th, 2013 before an
    > image would be done your way.

    nonsense.

    > The screen blending mode method would result in a final image in
    > minutes.

    so would my method, perhaps even less.

    > The suggestion for the long exposure and cardboard block
    > could be useful to him come New Year's Eve. Or, even Guy Fawkes
    > Night.

    that's nice. how does that help him *now* ?

    > You just got caught out recommending an impractical method and don't
    > want to admit it.

    there's absolutely nothing impractical about it.

    *you* just don't want to admit there's an alternative.

    nospam, Jul 11, 2012
  17. Robert Peirce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > There may not be a right way, but there is usually a better way.

    which way is 'better' depends on a lot of things. what's better for you
    may not be better for him. only the person creating the image can
    decide which one is better and gives the results they want.

    > Why not just admit that you didn't know about the screen blending mode
    > method (proven since you had to try it) and that it's the better way
    > to do the job asked for? Be honest for once.

    i tried it not because i didn't know about screen mode (i did), but i
    wanted to see if your way was another way of doing the same thing, and
    it is not. it was a comparison.

    why can't you admit that it's an alternative method and now he has two
    methods to try and then decide which one works best for *him*, rather
    than have you insist your way is the only way to do it?

    nospam, Jul 11, 2012
  18. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:24:31 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >he would not be misled because my method works exceedingly well.

    >> No, it doesn't.

    >nonsense. it works very well. once again you are talking out your ass.
    >
    >> It only practical if the bursts are to be completely
    >> separate in the final image. That greatly limits the project. If
    >> there's any overlap, meticulous removal of the sky in the top layer of
    >> each combined set is required. It'll be July 4th, 2013 before an
    >> image would be done your way.

    >nonsense.
    >
    >> The screen blending mode method would result in a final image in
    >> minutes.

    >so would my method, perhaps even less.
    >
    >> The suggestion for the long exposure and cardboard block
    >> could be useful to him come New Year's Eve. Or, even Guy Fawkes
    >> Night.

    >that's nice. how does that help him *now* ?
    >
    >> You just got caught out recommending an impractical method and don't
    >> want to admit it.

    >there's absolutely nothing impractical about it.
    >
    >*you* just don't want to admit there's an alternative.

    I use Layer Masks very frequently. I have a Wacom tablet and I'm
    quite used to working with a Layer Mask. I'm quite reasonably fast
    and precise.

    I also know what a fireworks burst looks like. Anyone who would
    approach combining images of fireworks bursts using a Layer Mask does
    so only because they don't know the better way, will settle for an
    image with separated bursts rather than overlapping bursts, and will
    probably give up in frustration.

    Quite frankly, I don't think you've ever tried to do anything like
    this. You just got out on a limb with a bad recommendation and are
    unwilling to crawl back. We've seen this before from you.

    You use the marquee tool or a lasso to select a burst and then inverse
    and delete, but all you'll be able to do is stick one burst here and
    the other burst over there, and then try to blend in where the edges
    of the selections meet. You won't be able to overlap. These are
    alternatives too, but not any better than yours.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  19. Robert Peirce

    nospam Guest

    In article <2012071022553477923-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > His original question is right there in the subject line. He wants to
    > know what apps are able to achieve what he has proposed. He might
    > already have an appropriate app loaded on his Mac.
    > Once we know what he has, or doesn't have to work with, then we can
    > start talking about techniques for getting to the desired result. Then
    > you and "nospam" can tear each other apart.
    >
    > The major players for his Mac are going to be from the top down, Full
    > PS (any of the late CS editions), PSE 8-11, Graphic Converter 8 (Mac
    > only SW actually very good < http://www.lemkesoft.com/ >) and The GIMP.

    the gimp is not even worth the download time, let alone trying to use
    it. it's comparable to what photoshop was ten years ago, and still to
    this day, lacks adjustment layers!

    there are several other mac only image editing apps, some of which are
    quite good, including pixelmator.

    nospam, Jul 11, 2012
  20. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:55:34 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-07-10 22:17:40 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:18:47 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> If you guys had been paying attention, we don't even know what editing
    >>> software the OP has, or has access to. Everybody is getting ahead of
    >>> themselves assuming he has any version of Photoshop to work with.
    >>>
    >>> I agree that using any one of several PS image mending methods would be
    >>> the way to go, but we have yet to here from the OP what software he has
    >>> to use with his Mac.

    >> What do you want said, Duck? We can either say "You can't do it" or
    >> "You can do it this way if you have so-and-so".

    >What I want to hear is what software the OP currently has to work with
    >before we all go at each others throats arguing over which is the best
    >way to get the job done.

    Far too often, someone lands here, asks a question without providing
    the necessary background info, and then disappears. One never knows
    if he read any of the answers let alone what the background info is.

    Still, other people can learn something. Someone else who does have
    Photoshop,does have fireworks images, but never thought of combining
    them may read the information on the Screen blending mode and try it.

    Someone else, who's just reading along, may want to look further into
    firework photography using the "B" setting a black card.

    For these people, the continuing discussions can be helpful even if
    the OP never surfaces again.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012