    turning up on the web, but don't want to compromise my privacy or
    safety to do it.

    Thanks

    default, Apr 27, 2006

  2. default

    LordMax Guest

    Use an anonimyzer

    LordMax, Apr 27, 2006

  3. default

    gwtc Guest

    default wrote:

    > Something that can't set persistent cookies, doesn't require a web
    > site to change the privacy settings, can't access the microphone and
    > camera, and contains no unique identifiers?
    >
    > FF browser, Windows ME
    >
    > I'd like to be able to look at some of the political satire animations
    > turning up on the web, but don't want to compromise my privacy or
    > safety to do it.
    >
    > Thanks

    the only thing I know of is the flashblocker:
    http://flashblock.mozdev.org/. But this can disable and enable flash
    at your will, and thats about all.

    --
    How to Get a Life
    Difficulty Level: Hard

    gwtc, Apr 27, 2006
  4. default

    Enos Nivek Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:17:08 -0400, default <> wrote:

    >Something that can't set persistent cookies, doesn't require a web
    >site to change the privacy settings, can't access the microphone and
    >camera, and contains no unique identifiers?
    >
    >FF browser, Windows ME
    >
    >I'd like to be able to look at some of the political satire animations
    >turning up on the web, but don't want to compromise my privacy or
    >safety to do it.
    >
    >Thanks

    You can change the Flash privacy settings and access to webcam etc.
    Right click the flash animation and select settings. I don't allow
    flash in Firefox, when I really want to use Flash (rarely) I then
    switch to IE.

    Enos Nivek, Apr 27, 2006
  5. default

    Canopus Guest

    Enos Nivek on 27/04/2006 wrote:

    >I don't allow
    >flash in Firefox, when I really want to use Flash (rarely) I then
    >switch to IE.

    Why? I would have thought using FF for Flash would be more secure than
    IE. What's the reason?

    --
    Rob

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/

    Canopus, Apr 28, 2006
  6. default

    Far Canal Guest

    default wrote

    > Something that can't set persistent cookies, doesn't require a web
    > site to change the privacy settings, can't access the microphone and
    > camera, and contains no unique identifiers?
    >
    > FF browser, Windows ME
    >
    > I'd like to be able to look at some of the political satire animations
    > turning up on the web, but don't want to compromise my privacy or
    > safety to do it.

    Use an offline flash player -
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/offline-flash.html

    Far Canal, Apr 29, 2006
  7. default

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Canopus* wrote:
    > Enos Nivek on 27/04/2006 wrote:
    >
    >>I don't allow
    >>flash in Firefox, when I really want to use Flash (rarely) I then
    >>switch to IE.

    > Why? I would have thought using FF for Flash would be more secure than
    > IE. What's the reason?

    I'm using SeaMonkey but guess this apply to Frifox to.

    It's not so much about security, but annoyance why I have Flash disabled
    most of the time. There is to much flash crap (e.g. ads) used on sites
    that I don't care to see. The abuse of flash is also today what in the
    90's was abuse of animated gif's for no other reason than to show off
    (hey, look what I did)!

    BTW, there is addons that makes it possible to easy disable and enable
    when it suites you. That's what I do. You don't need to use IE when you
    wish to look at flash on sites.

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Apr 29, 2006
  8. default

    Newby Guest

    "Arne" <> wrote in message
    > Once upon a time *Canopus* wrote:
    > > Enos Nivek on 27/04/2006 wrote:

    [snipped]

    > It's not so much about security, but annoyance why I have Flash disabled
    > most of the time.

    [snipped]
    > --
    > /Arne

    Please, how do you disable Macromedia Flash? I would like to disable it
    too.

    Thanks.

    Newby, Apr 29, 2006
  9. default

    Canopus Guest

    Arne on 29/04/2006 wrote:

    >There is to much flash crap (e.g. ads) used on sites
    >that I don't care to see. The abuse of flash is also today what in the
    >90's was abuse of animated gif's for no other reason than to show off

    Ah, now that I can understand and agree with.

    Canopus, Apr 29, 2006
  10. default

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Newby* wrote:
    > "Arne" <> wrote in message
    >> Once upon a time *Canopus* wrote:
    >> > Enos Nivek on 27/04/2006 wrote:
    >> >

    > [snipped]
    >>
    >> It's not so much about security, but annoyance why I have Flash disabled
    >> most of the time.

    > [snipped]
    >> --
    >> /Arne
    >>

    > Please, how do you disable Macromedia Flash? I would like to disable it
    > too.

    I'm using the Preference Toolbar with several useful features, the flash
    block is just one of them, and you can customize it to suite your needs.
    Read about the other features and get the extension from
    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    A single flashblock extension is this from http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    With the flashblock extension you will see a placeholder everywhere
    where a flash animation is placed. As I understand it, clicking on the
    placeholder will open the animation.

    With the prefbar extension you enable flash and reload the page if you
    like to see the animations on the page.

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Apr 29, 2006
  11. default

    default Guest

    On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:35:56 -0400, "Newby" <>
    wrote:

    >"Arne" <> wrote in message
    >> Once upon a time *Canopus* wrote:
    >> > Enos Nivek on 27/04/2006 wrote:
    >> >

    >[snipped]
    >>
    >> It's not so much about security, but annoyance why I have Flash disabled
    >> most of the time.

    >[snipped]
    >> --
    >> /Arne
    >>

    >Please, how do you disable Macromedia Flash? I would like to disable it
    >too.
    >
    >Thanks.

    There's an extension called flashblock for mozilla browsers - I have
    my wife's computer set up with it; works well - blocks by default and
    you have to enable the flash to play.

    For my own computer - I don't trust macromedia one iota. The idea
    that some smarmy marketeer can set hidden flash cookies or a piece of
    software that enables (by default) sites to access the camera or
    microphone - tells me they aren't interested in my privacy.

    The other option is to uninstall flash - and that requires another
    executable from macromedia - although you can probably just rip out
    the dll files and suffer a crash from time to time.

    default, Apr 29, 2006
  12. default

    default Guest

    On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 04:11:52 +0100, Far Canal <> wrote:

    >default wrote
    >

    >> Something that can't set persistent cookies, doesn't require a web
    >> site to change the privacy settings, can't access the microphone and
    >> camera, and contains no unique identifiers?
    >>
    >> FF browser, Windows ME
    >>
    >> I'd like to be able to look at some of the political satire animations
    >> turning up on the web, but don't want to compromise my privacy or
    >> safety to do it.
    >>

    >Use an offline flash player -
    >http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/offline-flash.html

    I'll be checking it out, thanks.

    Offline means I'd have to look at the page info and find the location
    of the flash then download it?

    default, Apr 29, 2006
  13. default

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Newby wrote:

    > "Arne" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Once upon a time *Canopus* wrote:
    >>
    >>>Enos Nivek on 27/04/2006 wrote:

    > [snipped]
    >
    >>It's not so much about security, but annoyance why I have Flash disabled
    >>most of the time.

    > [snipped]
    >
    > Please, how do you disable Macromedia Flash? I would like to disable it
    > too.

    1) Media Player Classic can play Flashcrap.

    (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/)

    If I ever find any *.swf of any worth, I might try it myself.

    2) Disabling Macromedia Flash plugins in Mozilla-based browsers:

    a) Type about:plugins
    b) Note the name of the Flash DLL.
    c) In the app's (browser) plugin directory,
    eg., C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins,
    delete/hide/rename the DLL.

    3) Disabling Macromedia Flash plugins in Mozilla-based browsers:

    a) Type opera:plugins
    b) Note the name of the Flash DLL.
    c) In Opera's plugin directory,
    eg., C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins,
    delete/hide/rename the DLL.

    4) If you insist on using Macromedia software, at the very least undo
    all of the adware/spyware settings that Macromedia has set up for you,
    all out of the goodness of their hearts.

    (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/security/)

    And since Macromedia software needs fixed/patched quite often, you
    might need to do this every time that you update your player. I
    wouldn't know.

    Ron :)

    Ron Lopshire, Apr 29, 2006
  14. default

    Far Canal Guest

    default wrote

    > >Use an offline flash player -
    > >http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/offline-flash.html

    > I'll be checking it out, thanks.
    >
    > Offline means I'd have to look at the page info and find the location
    > of the flash then download it?

    Prolly. Look at the sites mentioned or play around. I pick the
    animations I want to see and have set up the preferences to secure
    Flash.

    Far Canal, Apr 30, 2006
  15. default

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 30/04/06 00:47, Far Canal Scribbled:
    > default wrote
    >

    >>> Use an offline flash player -
    >>> http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/offline-flash.html

    >> I'll be checking it out, thanks.
    >>
    >> Offline means I'd have to look at the page info and find the location
    >> of the flash then download it?
    >>

    > Prolly. Look at the sites mentioned or play around. I pick the
    > animations I want to see and have set up the preferences to secure
    > Flash.

    With the extension "All-In-One Sidebar", you can download embedded
    files.

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    Kieren aka JediFans - <url:http://jedifans.com/>

    Jedi Fans, Apr 30, 2006
  16. Arne <> wrote in news::

    > I'm using the Preference Toolbar with several useful features, the flash
    > block is just one of them, and you can customize it to suite your needs.
    > Read about the other features and get the extension from
    > http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    >
    > A single flashblock extension is this from http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    Let me get this straight - to disable certain plugins and extensions, you
    must install other plugins and extensions?

    I never understood why an application or browser could not have a simple
    preference screen that could disable plugins and extensions, hopefully even
    prevent them from loading into memory, by simply clicking a checkbox.

    Howard Schwartz, Apr 30, 2006
  17. Far Canal <> wrote in

    > Use an offline flash player -
    > http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/offline-flash.html

    (As I recall) do not many sites prevent you from seeing their web page(s)
    at all, unless you install the flash player (e.g., ``to view this page, you
    need an additional extension. Download Macromedia Flash Player Now?'')

    Howard Schwartz, Apr 30, 2006
  18. default

    Far Canal Guest

    Howard Schwartz wrote

    > Arne <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > I'm using the Preference Toolbar with several useful features, the flash
    > > block is just one of them, and you can customize it to suite your needs.
    > > Read about the other features and get the extension from
    > > http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    > >
    > > A single flashblock extension is this from http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    > Let me get this straight - to disable certain plugins and extensions, you
    > must install other plugins and extensions?
    >
    > I never understood why an application or browser could not have a simple
    > preference screen that could disable plugins and extensions, hopefully even
    > prevent them from loading into memory, by simply clicking a checkbox.

    Catch 22 ....
    You'd have to download such a 'screen'.

    Far Canal, Apr 30, 2006
  19. default

    Enos Nivek Guest

    On 28 Apr 2006 13:47:27 GMT, "Canopus" <>
    wrote:

    >Why? I would have thought using FF for Flash would be more secure than
    >IE. What's the reason?

    Because FF is my secure browser. I set it up to be as secure as
    possible so that means no flash. I rarely use IE but it is still set
    up fairly secure.

    Enos Nivek, Apr 30, 2006
  20. default

    Geoff Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 03:39:16 +0100, Far Canal <> wrote:

    >Howard Schwartz wrote
    >
    >> Arne <> wrote in news::
    >>
    >> > I'm using the Preference Toolbar with several useful features, the flash
    >> > block is just one of them, and you can customize it to suite your needs.
    >> > Read about the other features and get the extension from
    >> > http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    >> >
    >> > A single flashblock extension is this from http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    >> Let me get this straight - to disable certain plugins and extensions, you
    >> must install other plugins and extensions?
    >>
    >> I never understood why an application or browser could not have a simple
    >> preference screen that could disable plugins and extensions, hopefully even
    >> prevent them from loading into memory, by simply clicking a checkbox.
    >>

    >Catch 22 ....
    >You'd have to download such a 'screen'.

    Actually, the screen exists for ActiveX controls. It's called Manage
    Add-ons in the IE tools menu.

    Geoff, Apr 30, 2006