    Thinking of also studying toward the A+ too... thanks for any thoughts or
    advise and good look to eveyone doing studys!
    Gillian

    Gillian, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Gillian

    CBIC Guest

    Gillian wrote:
    > Ok.. im 34.. starting out at the beginning of IT.... looking at going
    > into " IT manintence and repair to start with... the may want to lead
    > to ,computer support services engineering.. OK... would the MSDT...
    > be start????... Thinking of also studying toward the A+ too... thanks
    > for any thoughts or advise and good look to eveyone doing studys!
    > Gillian

    Not to rain on your parade but why do you want to try to get into the IT
    field. The job market is horrible right now even for people with experience.
    But if you're bent on doing it, start with the MCDST and take your A+ and
    maybe your network + and get some experience by volunteering. Good luck
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38

    CBIC, Jul 29, 2005

  3. Gillian

    Tmack Guest

    I agree. IT job hunting is a bitch and will continue to be for a long
    time.

    Tmack, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Gillian

    Nocturnal Guest

    There are a lot of pessimistic people on this newsgroup that are having a
    hard time finding a job. The thing you may want to take a look at is if you
    really enjoy fixing or dealing with computers on a daily basis. Make sure
    you do otherwise you'll end up in a world of hurt with money wasted and
    unhappy with your profession.

    I think if you truly want to persue this, do it. A+ is the first step as
    well as MCDST.

    --
    Nocturnal

    Nocturnal, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Gillian

    CBIC Guest

    Nocturnal wrote:
    > There are a lot of pessimistic people on this newsgroup that are
    > having a hard time finding a job.

    I'm a pessimistic person who has an IT job. All I'm saying is it's hard to
    find work. If you have experience or not.

    CBIC, Jul 29, 2005
  6. Gillian

    Nocturnal Guest

    Same here, I work in the IT field. I guess I was lucky. I wouldn't give up
    on it if it's something you truly want to persue, like myself.

    --
    Nocturnal

    Nocturnal, Jul 30, 2005
  7. Gillian

    Tmack Guest

    How can you say that some of us are pessimistic when probably upwards
    of a million jobs have been pulled from right under our feet via
    outsourcing and importing labor?

    I consider myself a realist!

    Tmack, Jul 30, 2005
  8. Gillian

    Gillian Guest

    Thank you all for your views.. all very interesting.. As for why i want to
    have a career in IT... because i love it..... after been a mother for 12
    years... one of the only things that has given me buzz.. I totally understand
    about the job situation.. BUT doesnt that also apply to most careers
    today??.... we live in a world with so many uncertainty, but does this give
    us the right to give up? especailly on goals or improvements, we would like
    to make to our lifes....
    I mayself.. have had time apart from work.. and after afew changes... one
    thing that i have learnt.. is, to do what makes you happy!.. I love and
    totally enjoy my computer and helping others... so job satisfaction, is a
    high priority for me now...Im lucky to have people to help and let me lean on
    them.. ie a husband with a good job....
    I'm proud to say, i love what i do... if as yet, its only goals and my start
    of any career in IT...i take my hat of to all in IT....the pressures are
    hard.. but so is life!....i know im a mother to 4! (laughing)....
    I took all that you said.. and im an open-minded person, to know for my
    other experences(chosen career paths ,when i was younger) that it can be
    tough.....

    Thanks again you guys for been honest, and i have already looking into both
    A+, Networking + and MCDST, so get them fingers crossed for a mature lady!,
    that i have the brains too!..!(laughing)
    All the best and fingers cross for the future for ALL of us...At the end of
    the day, happiness and job satisfaction.. is just as important as the money..
    as i said im luck than most, i have help and backing of a good husband to
    lean on, while the road and happiness to an IT career is hard...

    Take care and THANKSSSSSS!
    Gillian( UK)

    Gillian, Jul 31, 2005
  9. Gillian

    GaryJ Guest

    You hit the nail on the head. Its all a matter of loving what you do and
    treating the people you work with RESPECT. In the microsoft training book for
    MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271) there is a description for Traits
    of a qualified DST, read that and if you feel a passion for becoming a DST
    you will be awesome in this feild. I have been in the IT business for 6 years
    now and absolutely love doing what I do and I have to admit that I have not
    met very many people that have the traits of being a good DST. Being a good
    DST is truely where the rubber hits the road.
    I work on systems everyday they have no personality just quirks and its
    rewarding solving issues and problems on them. But Its the day2day dealing
    with users and their issues. When someone calls on you to fix an issue and
    you leave that person fixing their problem without belittling them in anyway
    and gaining their respect, that is awesome. TREAT PEOPLE THEY WAY YOU WOULD
    WANT TO BE TREATED.
    May GOD bless you in your decision.
    PS: I am taking the my first Microsoft cert 70-271 in 2 weeks can't wait to
    pass it and move on 2 70-272 and become a MCDST, and then who knows.
    -

    GaryJ, Jul 31, 2005
  10. Gillian

    Gillian Guest

    Gary...I applause you!!!!!.. this is exactly.. where im coming from... the
    feelings of reward are brilliant, with just only the little work and
    experience i have.. having a particular event early this yr.. when my
    father(who was the person to get me interested in home use of pc's)... phone
    me personally for help...YES a very quiet voice on the other end of the
    phone, as he's a proud man...! (laughing).. but this was such a reward of
    respect from him, that what i had learnt so far.. he trusted and respected me
    to fix and sort the issues for him and this respect was from me also, talking
    to him , explaining what i was doing all the way through, answering his
    questions without jardon....this was the final voice to confirm, what i
    knew... IT is for me! and does give me that feeling of gaining their
    respect...and also the enjoyment and challenge of solving and fixing
    problems, while explaining without the jagon!.... its been rewarding so
    far... and i do feel it always will...
    Thank you for the praise " you will be awesome in this field".. i can only
    but try!....i will read what you advised, and i believe that it will just
    confirm what my goals are...
    MY values alone to my kids are " treat people the way you would want to be
    treated".. so... appling this to any career... is easy...

    Good luck with your 70-271 in 2 weeks.. and let me know how it went!... will
    need any support...of people above me in these exams!...and my total best
    wishes on your career...

    Gillian(UK)

    Gillian, Jul 31, 2005