    I have found only one, Mel Gibsons When We Were Soldiers......any
    others.....just bought a new Yamaha receiver .....

    ---

    Mindy, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Mindy

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "Mindy" <> wrote in message
    news:2S2ub.275168$...
    > I have found only one, Mel Gibsons When We Were Soldiers......any
    > others.....just bought a new Yamaha receiver .....
    >

    > ---

    I maintain a rather complete list of all announced EX and ES (seven channel
    audio) titles. This list includes current, future and out of print titles.
    I hope this helps.

    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/ex.htm

    --

    Doug MacLean
    Home Theater Info

    Doug MacLean, Nov 17, 2003

  3. > I maintain a rather complete list of all announced EX and ES (seven
    channel
    > audio) titles. This list includes current, future and out of print titles.
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/ex.htm
    >
    > --

    Mindy,
    Doug's site is really useful, but it's all R1. If you're in R2 then just
    remember there are differences. A good site to check these is
    http://www.bytesandbobs.com/dvdcompare/.
    Iain

    Iain Mackenzie, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Mindy

    Mindy Guest

    Am in Texas.....I guess that would be Region 1 ??

    "Iain Mackenzie" <> wrote in message
    > > I maintain a rather complete list of all announced EX and ES (seven

    > channel
    > > audio) titles. This list includes current, future and out of print

    titles.
    > > I hope this helps.
    > >
    > > http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/ex.htm
    > >
    > > --

    > Mindy,
    > Doug's site is really useful, but it's all R1. If you're in R2 then just
    > remember there are differences. A good site to check these is
    > http://www.bytesandbobs.com/dvdcompare/.
    > Iain

    ---

    Mindy, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Mindy wrote:
    > Am in Texas.....I guess that would be Region 1 ??

    Yes. R1 is the USA, Canada, and I think it also includes Mexico.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 17, 2003
  6. >
    >Yes. R1 is the USA, Canada, and I think it also includes Mexico

    Actually, Mexico is Region 4.

    Waterpetrson7, Nov 18, 2003
    movies are in 6.1 sound whenever the dvd is treleased, whether the dvd says it
    or not, because the sound for Dolby's back center channel is matrixed sound,
    although the other channels are discrete.

    Somehow, I think I find a flaw in that statement, but I'm not sure what the
    flaw in that statement (if any) is that is bothering me. However, it is what
    they said.

    Waterpetrson7, Nov 18, 2003
  8. of course, it's not the first time Dolby's statements were flawed.

    such as claiming that four-channel matrixed sound was completely and fully
    compatible with mono.

    In reality, listening in mono canceled out any oiinformation in the surround
    sound channel, therefore not compatible with mono.

    Waterpetrson7, Nov 18, 2003
  9. Mindy

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, (Waterpetrson7) wrote:

    >>Yes. R1 is the USA, Canada, and I think it also includes Mexico

    >Actually, Mexico is Region 4.

    Then why in the heck do we have to put up with spanish subtitles and audio
    tracks on our region one disks????? To capitulate to the mass hordes or
    illegals flooding the southwest??? I hate that shit!!!! I can see having
    french.

    GMAN, Nov 18, 2003
    sound
    > movies are in 6.1 sound whenever the dvd is treleased, whether the dvd

    says it
    > or not, because the sound for Dolby's back center channel is matrixed

    sound,
    > although the other channels are discrete.

    AFAIK, although the SB channel is matrixed, it is done with a discrete track
    separate from the SL and SR tracks. Also, your amp has to detect the ES/EX
    flag. Forcing the amp into matrixing for the SBL&R in a 5.1 track just
    doesn't have the same quality as a full 6.1. Example being Gladiator, there
    are 6.1 and 5.1 discs out there, and matrixing my 5.1 just doesn't get the
    right effect at all - 5.1 depth is so much better.
    Iain

    Iain Mackenzie, Nov 18, 2003
  11. On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:05:19 GMT, (GMAN) wrote:

    >In article <>, (Waterpetrson7) wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Yes. R1 is the USA, Canada, and I think it also includes Mexico

    >>Actually, Mexico is Region 4.
    >>

    >Then why in the heck do we have to put up with spanish subtitles and audio
    >tracks on our region one disks????? To capitulate to the mass hordes or
    >illegals flooding the southwest??? I hate that shit!!!! I can see having
    >french.

    What about Puerto Rico as it is in Region 1?

    Spanish speakers: 3,437,120 speakers in Puerto Rico, 90% of the
    population (1996).

    re: illegals: It is just terrible that people should seek a better
    place to live. Its goes against everything America stands for ;-)

    H E Pennypacker, Nov 19, 2003
  12. Mindy

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, H E Pennypacker <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:05:19 GMT, (GMAN) wrote:

    >>>Actually, Mexico is Region 4.
    >>>

    >>Then why in the heck do we have to put up with spanish subtitles and audio
    >>tracks on our region one disks????? To capitulate to the mass hordes or
    >>illegals flooding the southwest??? I hate that shit!!!! I can see having
    >>french.
    >>

    >What about Puerto Rico as it is in Region 1?
    >
    >Spanish speakers: 3,437,120 speakers in Puerto Rico, 90% of the
    >population (1996).
    >
    >re: illegals: It is just terrible that people should seek a better
    >place to live. Its goes against everything America stands for ;-)

    I have no problem with people wanting to come to America to live, just do it
    LEGALLY!!!!! Its wrong to treat them as anything other than illegals if they
    arent here legally. I am so tired of spending so much of my income taken in
    taxes to fund for services and shit for them.

    GMAN, Nov 19, 2003
  13. Mindy

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Mindy" <> wrote in message news:<2S2ub.275168$>...
    > I have found only one, Mel Gibsons When We Were Soldiers......any
    > others.....just bought a new Yamaha receiver .....

    The 4 disc version of the Two Towers has 6.1 DTS.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Nov 20, 2003
  14. Mindy

    Bob Guest

    "Mindy" <>
    wrote in message
    > I have found only one, Mel Gibsons When We Were Soldiers......any
    > others.....just bought a new Yamaha receiver .....

    Actually that's not a real 6.1 audio track. The rear center surround
    channel is derived from the left surround and right surround channels.
    That's why Dolby Labs even insists Dolby EX be referred to as a "5.1" system
    rather than 6.1. Just check the verbiage on the back on new DVDs like "The
    Two Towers" extended edition. You have "Dolby Surround EX 5.1" and "DTS-ES
    6.1 Discrete" listed.

    Bob, Nov 20, 2003
  15. Mindy

    Bob Guest

    "Waterpetrson7" <> wrote in message

    sound
    > movies are in 6.1 sound whenever the dvd is treleased, whether the dvd

    says it
    > or not, because the sound for Dolby's back center channel is matrixed

    sound,
    > although the other channels are discrete.

    Dolby does not claim that. They insist Dolby EX is a 5.1 system, and even
    mandate the 5.1 notation in trademark useage in DVD product design and other
    supporting literature:
    http://www.dolby.com/trademark/co.in.1200.MarkSurEX.pdf

    Text from section 3.2 of the paper:
    "Also, it is important to note that consumers have come to expect the term
    '5.1' to refer to 5.1-discrete channels of audio (five full-range channels
    plus a Low Frequency Effects, or LFE, channel). Dolby Digital Surround EX
    carries 5.1 discrete audio channels with a matrix-encoded back surround
    channel. It is therefore not a true 6.1-channel system, and the term '6.1'
    should not be used to describe it. In the future new formats may carry more
    than 5.1 channels of audio, including 6.1 discrete channels, and it is
    therefore important to prevent consumer confusion by distinguishing between
    the 5.1-channel Dolby Digital Surround EX format and true 6.1-channel
    formats."

    Bob, Nov 20, 2003
  16. On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:28:10 GMT, (GMAN) wrote:

    >In article <>, H E Pennypacker <> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:05:19 GMT, (GMAN) wrote:

    >>>Then why in the heck do we have to put up with spanish subtitles and audio
    >>>tracks on our region one disks????? To capitulate to the mass hordes or
    >>>illegals flooding the southwest??? I hate that shit!!!! I can see having
    >>>french.
    >>>

    >>What about Puerto Rico as it is in Region 1?
    >>
    >>Spanish speakers: 3,437,120 speakers in Puerto Rico, 90% of the
    >>population (1996).
    >>
    >>re: illegals: It is just terrible that people should seek a better
    >>place to live. Its goes against everything America stands for ;-)
    >>

    >I have no problem with people wanting to come to America to live, just do it
    >LEGALLY!!!!! Its wrong to treat them as anything other than illegals if they
    >arent here legally. I am so tired of spending so much of my income taken in
    >taxes to fund for services and shit for them.

    Illegal immigrants should be deported but not vilified. Millions of
    Americans also benefit from their cheap labor (Farm, Manual labor,
    etc) so to say that they increase your taxes is over simplifying
    things.

    H E Pennypacker, Nov 20, 2003