    Ive never come across it before..... Mortein seems to have removed most of
    them (not sprayed directly :p) and am about to plug it all in again and
    hopefully no ants will come tumbling outta the PSU....

    XPD, Feb 6, 2006

  2. On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:21:46 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > Anyone heard of ants being attracted to new power supplies ???
    > Built my partner a new machine a week ago and we have decided to move it to
    > another room.... so there I am plugging it all in and thinking "theres a lot
    > of ants around....all over the computer in fact." So I take the case off and
    > find these ants are coming from inside the PSU..... what the hell is in this
    > thing that attracts ants ???? :)
    > Ive never come across it before..... Mortein seems to have removed most of
    > them (not sprayed directly :p) and am about to plug it all in again and
    > hopefully no ants will come tumbling outta the PSU....

    Seems like you have a buggy PSU.

    They probably like the warmth. Move to Dunedin, we have no ants here.

    wogers nemesis, Feb 6, 2006

  3. XPD

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:54:56 +1300, wogers nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:21:46 +1300, XPD wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone heard of ants being attracted to new power supplies ???
    >> Built my partner a new machine a week ago and we have decided to move it to
    >> another room.... so there I am plugging it all in and thinking "theres a lot
    >> of ants around....all over the computer in fact." So I take the case off and
    >> find these ants are coming from inside the PSU..... what the hell is in this
    >> thing that attracts ants ???? :)
    >> Ive never come across it before..... Mortein seems to have removed most of
    >> them (not sprayed directly :p) and am about to plug it all in again and
    >> hopefully no ants will come tumbling outta the PSU....

    >Seems like you have a buggy PSU.
    >
    >They probably like the warmth. Move to Dunedin, we have no ants here.

    Err, I have seen the odd one here, Dunedin, about one a week. Though
    they have only started showing up recently.

    GraB, Feb 6, 2006
  4. XPD

    -=rjh=- Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Anyone heard of ants being attracted to new power supplies ???
    > Built my partner a new machine a week ago and we have decided to move it to
    > another room.... so there I am plugging it all in and thinking "theres a lot
    > of ants around....all over the computer in fact." So I take the case off and
    > find these ants are coming from inside the PSU..... what the hell is in this
    > thing that attracts ants ???? :)
    > Ive never come across it before..... Mortein seems to have removed most of
    > them (not sprayed directly :p) and am about to plug it all in again and
    > hopefully no ants will come tumbling outta the PSU....

    I have seen ants attacking light switches; they seem to be attracted to
    some of the plastic components in certain switches produced a few years
    ago. Something the ants do seems to cause the plastic to break down and
    become sticky and crumbly - it might be formic acid, I guess.

    The terminals then fall out (still attached to the wiring) and
    constitute a real risk (both to people who unscrew the plate, and to the
    building in terms of fire risk).

    -=rjh=-, Feb 6, 2006
  5. XPD

    Collector_NZ Guest

    (OT) Re: Ants + PSU = WTF

    S Roby wrote:
    > In article <>, "XPD" <....nz> wrote:
    >> Anyone heard of ants being attracted to new power supplies ???

    > Ive had ants building a nest in my PC (lots of ant eggs )
    > I got pissed off & sprayed it with fly spray.
    > motherboard wouldnt boot after the flyspray
    >
    > I also have problems with ants building nests in my cars

    You should see the fun I have when they decide to invade and setup in
    the walls of the motor home.

    Collector_NZ, Feb 6, 2006
  6. XPD

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Feb 6, 2006
  7. On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:04:59 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:54:56 +1300, wogers nemesis <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:21:46 +1300, XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone heard of ants being attracted to new power supplies ???
    >>> Built my partner a new machine a week ago and we have decided to move it to
    >>> another room.... so there I am plugging it all in and thinking "theres a lot
    >>> of ants around....all over the computer in fact." So I take the case off and
    >>> find these ants are coming from inside the PSU..... what the hell is in this
    >>> thing that attracts ants ???? :)
    >>> Ive never come across it before..... Mortein seems to have removed most of
    >>> them (not sprayed directly :p) and am about to plug it all in again and
    >>> hopefully no ants will come tumbling outta the PSU....

    >>Seems like you have a buggy PSU.
    >>
    >>They probably like the warmth. Move to Dunedin, we have no ants here.

    >Err, I have seen the odd one here, Dunedin, about one a week. Though
    >they have only started showing up recently.

    Yes, with global warming, the ant problem is moving south. Here in
    Palmerston North, we have just had to have our house professionally
    spray to stop them completely overrunning us. We have had ants for as
    long as we have lived here (since 1969), and PN as a city has a
    reputation for ants, but they have been much worse over the last few
    years.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 7, 2006
  8. On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:28:22 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >XPD wrote:
    >> Anyone heard of ants being attracted to new power supplies ???
    >> Built my partner a new machine a week ago and we have decided to move it to
    >> another room.... so there I am plugging it all in and thinking "theres a lot
    >> of ants around....all over the computer in fact." So I take the case off and
    >> find these ants are coming from inside the PSU..... what the hell is in this
    >> thing that attracts ants ???? :)
    >> Ive never come across it before..... Mortein seems to have removed most of
    >> them (not sprayed directly :p) and am about to plug it all in again and
    >> hopefully no ants will come tumbling outta the PSU....
    >>

    >I have seen ants attacking light switches; they seem to be attracted to
    >some of the plastic components in certain switches produced a few years
    >ago. Something the ants do seems to cause the plastic to break down and
    >become sticky and crumbly - it might be formic acid, I guess.
    >
    >The terminals then fall out (still attached to the wiring) and
    >constitute a real risk (both to people who unscrew the plate, and to the
    >building in terms of fire risk).

    Yes, one of the reasons we had to call in the professionals was that
    one plug in a bedroom collapsed with a big flash of sparks. When the
    electrician replaced it, there was nothing left of the black Bakelite
    bits except rubble, and the metal was just hanging in mid air
    unsupported. It seems to be only the Bakelite that is affected by
    ants - the white plastic front of the plug was fine.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 7, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    34.nz56.remove_numbers says...

    > Yes, one of the reasons we had to call in the professionals was that
    > one plug in a bedroom collapsed with a big flash of sparks. When the
    > electrician replaced it, there was nothing left of the black Bakelite
    > bits except rubble, and the metal was just hanging in mid air
    > unsupported. It seems to be only the Bakelite that is affected by
    > ants - the white plastic front of the plug was fine.

    Amazing. I.i.r.c. the original bakelite is actually made from milk
    but I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams that ants might find it
    palatable.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 7, 2006
  10. XPD

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >Amazing. I.i.r.c. the original bakelite is actually made from milk
    >but I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams that ants might find it
    >palatable.

    I'm not a chemist, but as I understand it some plastics are made from
    phenolic resins using a process involving formaldehyde. Ants use formic acid
    as a weapon, so I imagine something about the resin attracts them and makes
    them spray it with acid, causing it to break down.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Feb 7, 2006
  11. XPD

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-02-07, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > 34.nz56.remove_numbers says...
    >>
    >> Yes, one of the reasons we had to call in the professionals was that
    >> one plug in a bedroom collapsed with a big flash of sparks. When the
    >> electrician replaced it, there was nothing left of the black Bakelite
    >> bits except rubble, and the metal was just hanging in mid air
    >> unsupported. It seems to be only the Bakelite that is affected by
    >> ants - the white plastic front of the plug was fine.
    >>

    > Amazing. I.i.r.c. the original bakelite is actually made from milk
    > but I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams that ants might find it
    > palatable.
    >
    > -P.

    Out of pure curiosity I had a quick look on google and this turned up
    http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/courses/ME208/introduction/materials.html#bakelite
    The first mass-produced plastic object was the gear knob of a Rolls-Royce car,
    in 1910? The plastic used was Bakelite. Bakelite is a composite material which
    consists of sawdust in phenolic resin. The resin by itself is very brittle but
    the addition of a bit of sawdust greatly improves it. Cracks can't propagate,
    you see, because they soon encounter a nice tough wood fibre. The phenolic resin
    can be made from milk by-products by a fairly straightforward chemical process.
    Bakelite is resistant to chemical attack and can look very nice, sort of like
    swirly reddish-brown wood.

    Shane, Feb 7, 2006
  12. XPD

    Peter Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > Anyone heard of ants being attracted to new power supplies ???

    I saw a railway signal full of ants years ago, probably attracted by the
    heat of the bulb. This was a single aspect type with a parabolic mirror
    behind the bulb and there is a pivoted arm with green, red and amber
    glasses to show the correct colour. The arm was so jammed up it would not
    move (if neither solenoid is activated it should swing by gravity to
    'red').

    Peter, Feb 7, 2006
  13. Hi there,

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:21:46 +1300, XPD wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone heard of ants being attracted to new power supplies ???
    >>Built my partner a new machine a week ago and we have decided to move it to
    >>another room.... so there I am plugging it all in and thinking "theres a lot
    >>of ants around....all over the computer in fact." So I take the case off and
    >>find these ants are coming from inside the PSU..... what the hell is in this
    >>thing that attracts ants ???? :)
    >>Ive never come across it before..... Mortein seems to have removed most of
    >>them (not sprayed directly :p) and am about to plug it all in again and
    >>hopefully no ants will come tumbling outta the PSU....

    > Seems like you have a buggy PSU.

    :)

    > They probably like the warmth. Move to Dunedin, we have no ants here.

    Or Chch...only once did I have ants in the house there (due to
    'forgotten about' cookie time biscuit sitting in my bedroom).

    Brisbane ants also like new PSU's, but now they leave it alone.
    Its weird...you'd think they'd terrorise the kitchen and pantry
    first, but nope - its the PSU in the 'puter...weird insects!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 9, 2006