    good enough for interent use eg web browsing, some emails, miminal
    downloading (low usage)

    I am just a home user so I dont need network drives checked

    gp, Apr 12, 2005

  2. gp

    optikl Guest

    optikl, Apr 12, 2005

  3. gp

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:31:14 +1000, gp wrote:

    > can anyone recommend any decent free antivirus software that can detect
    > viruses and keep upto date, check emails, delete or quarantine infected
    > files.
    > good enough for interent use eg web browsing, some emails, miminal
    > downloading (low usage)
    >
    > I am just a home user so I dont need network drives checked

    AVG works for 38 Sorority girls without an infection.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2005
  4. gp

    gp Guest

    "optikl" <optikl@com_invalid_cast.net> wrote in message
    > gp wrote:
    >> hi
    >>
    >> can anyone recommend any decent free antivirus software that can detect
    >> viruses and keep upto date, check emails, delete or quarantine infected
    >> files.
    >> good enough for interent use eg web browsing, some emails, miminal
    >> downloading (low usage)
    >>
    >> I am just a home user so I dont need network drives checked

    this program says it removes worms only.......correct me if I am wrong
    though.
    I want something that removes any viruses in general.

    gp, Apr 12, 2005
  5. gp

    gp Guest

    " gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message

    > "optikl" <optikl@com_invalid_cast.net> wrote in message
    >> gp wrote:
    >>> hi
    >>>
    >>> can anyone recommend any decent free antivirus software that can detect
    >>> viruses and keep upto date, check emails, delete or quarantine infected
    >>> files.
    >>> good enough for interent use eg web browsing, some emails, miminal
    >>> downloading (low usage)
    >>>
    >>> I am just a home user so I dont need network drives checked

    > this program says it removes worms only.......correct me if I am wrong
    > though.
    > I want something that removes any viruses in general.

    sorry , i see it is more than just worms

    gp, Apr 12, 2005
  6. gp

    optikl Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:31:14 +1000, gp wrote:
    >
    >>can anyone recommend any decent free antivirus software that can detect
    >>viruses and keep upto date, check emails, delete or quarantine infected
    >>files.
    >>good enough for interent use eg web browsing, some emails, miminal
    >>downloading (low usage)
    >>
    >>I am just a home user so I dont need network drives checked

    > AVG works for 38 Sorority girls without an infection.

    Be careful. I'm not so sure that statement is meaningful. Some malware
    is very difficult to detect. And with only one scanner doing the
    looking....how can you be sure. Nothing is 100% accurate, 100% of the
    time. Nothing.

    optikl, Apr 12, 2005
  7. gp

    optikl Guest

    gp wrote:
    > "optikl" <optikl@com_invalid_cast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> gp wrote:
    >>
    >>>hi
    >>>
    >>>can anyone recommend any decent free antivirus software that can detect
    >>>viruses and keep upto date, check emails, delete or quarantine infected
    >>>files.
    >>>good enough for interent use eg web browsing, some emails, miminal
    >>>downloading (low usage)
    >>>
    >>>I am just a home user so I dont need network drives checked

    > this program says it removes worms only.......correct me if I am wrong
    > though.
    > I want something that removes any viruses in general.

    You're quite wrong. Quite wrong.

    optikl, Apr 12, 2005
  8. gp

    > gp wrote:
    >> "optikl" <optikl@com_invalid_cast.net> wrote in message

    >> this program says it removes worms only.......correct me if I am wrong
    >> though.
    >> I want something that removes any viruses in general.

    > You're quite wrong. Quite wrong.

    how does avast compare to nortons antivirus

    gp, Apr 12, 2005
  9. gp

    Ashley Pride Guest

    gp wrote:

    > how does avast compare to nortons antivirus

    Its nowhere near as shit as norton/symantec.

    Ash.

    Ashley Pride, Apr 12, 2005
  10. gp

    Leythos Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:37:57 -0500, optikl wrote:

    > Leythos wrote:
    >> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:31:14 +1000, gp wrote:
    >>
    >>>can anyone recommend any decent free antivirus software that can detect
    >>>viruses and keep upto date, check emails, delete or quarantine infected
    >>>files.
    >>>good enough for interent use eg web browsing, some emails, miminal
    >>>downloading (low usage)
    >>>
    >>>I am just a home user so I dont need network drives checked

    >> AVG works for 38 Sorority girls without an infection.
    >>

    > Be careful. I'm not so sure that statement is meaningful. Some malware
    > is very difficult to detect. And with only one scanner doing the
    > looking....how can you be sure. Nothing is 100% accurate, 100% of the
    > time. Nothing.

    I'm quite sure, we sniff the LAN and monitor the in/out bound connection
    in addition to having a server running other monitoring tools - while
    nothing is 100% accurate, the are as clean as can be at this time.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2005
  11. gp

    optikl Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:37:57 -0500, optikl wrote:

    >>>AVG works for 38 Sorority girls without an infection.
    >>>

    >>Be careful. I'm not so sure that statement is meaningful. Some malware
    >>is very difficult to detect. And with only one scanner doing the
    >>looking....how can you be sure. Nothing is 100% accurate, 100% of the
    >>time. Nothing.

    > I'm quite sure, we sniff the LAN and monitor the in/out bound connection
    > in addition to having a server running other monitoring tools - while
    > nothing is 100% accurate, the are as clean as can be at this time.

    Yes, that's quite a different statement than your earlier one. It's not
    that I doubted your veracity, but even *if* there is absolutely no sign
    of malware presence on their machines, what the hell does that have to
    do with *any* AV? :) I think it speaks more to the overall security
    you're providing for these young ladies.

    optikl, Apr 12, 2005
  12. gp

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:17:21 +0100, Ashley Pride wrote:

    > gp wrote:
    >
    >> how does avast compare to nortons antivirus

    > Its nowhere near as shit as norton/symantec.

    Funny, it's nice to see how the ignorant respond. I've been using Norton
    AV products since they came out, then Symantec AV products, then Corporate
    Symantec AV products. I've never purchased a suite from them, but the
    Norton AV and Symantec AV products have protected our networks and our
    customers networks better than any other product on the market.

    To be fair, we install the leading 10 products on machines in the offices
    (5 each) every year, scan for missed/unknowns, and find that nothing beats
    the Symantec Corp AV products for performance, size, and detection - and
    they even do Exchange, Groupware, and pop/smtp email scanning.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2005
  13. gp

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:16:11 -0500, optikl wrote:

    > Leythos wrote:

    >>>Be careful. I'm not so sure that statement is meaningful. Some malware
    >>>is very difficult to detect. And with only one scanner doing the
    >>>looking....how can you be sure. Nothing is 100% accurate, 100% of the
    >>>time. Nothing.

    >> I'm quite sure, we sniff the LAN and monitor the in/out bound
    >> connection in addition to having a server running other monitoring
    >> tools - while nothing is 100% accurate, the are as clean as can be at
    >> this time.
    >>

    > Yes, that's quite a different statement than your earlier one. It's not
    > that I doubted your veracity, but even *if* there is absolutely no sign
    > of malware presence on their machines, what the hell does that have to
    > do with *any* AV? :) I think it speaks more to the overall security
    > you're providing for these young ladies.

    Malware comes in many paths - and the AV product is the only thing, other
    than the standard OS/apps, that is being done to protect them from
    malware. We scan the network as a reactive measure, not a proactive
    (although it could be seen in that light) measure. The ladies are
    permitted to do anything except P2P sharing, some have Windows XP SP2,
    some Windows XP SP1, some MAC OS/X (unpatched), some use IE/OE,
    IE/Outlook, FireFox/OE, etc.... We don't do anything except make sure they
    have valid AV software on their machines.

    They came into the house at the start of the school year with thousands of
    viruses on their machines (total, not each) and were cleaned or
    wiped/reinstalled, AVG was installed for any student that didn't have at
    least 6 months left on their AV subscriptions (started at AVG6, most
    updated to AVG7 when the update was available). Since that time, none of
    them have been compromised, but many have had inbound emails with virus
    infected attachments (which AVG catches and removes access to).

    With the exception of ladies installing P2P apps from time to time (which
    we catch and disable their internet access until removed), the network and
    systems have been free from compromise.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2005
  14. gp

    Ashley Pride Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    > Funny, it's nice to see how the ignorant respond. I've been using Norton
    > AV products since they came out, then Symantec AV products, then Corporate
    > Symantec AV products. I've never purchased a suite from them, but the
    > Norton AV and Symantec AV products have protected our networks and our
    > customers networks better than any other product on the market.
    >
    > To be fair, we install the leading 10 products on machines in the offices
    > (5 each) every year, scan for missed/unknowns, and find that nothing beats
    > the Symantec Corp AV products for performance, size, and detection - and
    > they even do Exchange, Groupware, and pop/smtp email scanning.

    But what does that have to do with home use? Symantec CE edition is very
    good, and from my experience detection rate is good. Symantec home
    versions are bug ridden, and bloated. Have you done any testing using
    non-corporate versions?

    Ash.

    Ashley Pride, Apr 12, 2005
  15. gp

    optikl Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    > Malware comes in many paths - and the AV product is the only thing, other
    > than the standard OS/apps, that is being done to protect them from
    > malware. We scan the network as a reactive measure, not a proactive
    > (although it could be seen in that light) measure. The ladies are
    > permitted to do anything except P2P sharing, some have Windows XP SP2,
    > some Windows XP SP1, some MAC OS/X (unpatched), some use IE/OE,
    > IE/Outlook, FireFox/OE, etc.... We don't do anything except make sure they
    > have valid AV software on their machines.

    Don't underestimate the effect of not tolerating p2p file sharing.
    That's how my daughter's machine (she's also a sorority girl)became a
    toilet.

    > They came into the house at the start of the school year with thousands of
    > viruses on their machines (total, not each) and were cleaned or
    > wiped/reinstalled, AVG was installed for any student that didn't have at
    > least 6 months left on their AV subscriptions (started at AVG6, most
    > updated to AVG7 when the update was available). Since that time, none of
    > them have been compromised, but many have had inbound emails with virus
    > infected attachments (which AVG catches and removes access to).

    Right. The purpose of AV software is to find malware already *on* the
    machine. Whether or not it becomes activated matters only to the degree
    you go to to remove it ;).

    > With the exception of ladies installing P2P apps from time to time (which
    > we catch and disable their internet access until removed), the network and
    > systems have been free from compromise.

    See. You provided a helpful lesson to them and it's working. I'd say you
    earned your pay.

    optikl, Apr 12, 2005
  16. gp

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:35:16 +0100, Ashley Pride wrote:

    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> Funny, it's nice to see how the ignorant respond. I've been using
    >> Norton AV products since they came out, then Symantec AV products, then
    >> Corporate Symantec AV products. I've never purchased a suite from them,
    >> but the Norton AV and Symantec AV products have protected our networks
    >> and our customers networks better than any other product on the market.
    >>
    >> To be fair, we install the leading 10 products on machines in the
    >> offices (5 each) every year, scan for missed/unknowns, and find that
    >> nothing beats the Symantec Corp AV products for performance, size, and
    >> detection - and they even do Exchange, Groupware, and pop/smtp email
    >> scanning.

    > But what does that have to do with home use? Symantec CE edition is very
    > good, and from my experience detection rate is good. Symantec home
    > versions are bug ridden, and bloated. Have you done any testing using
    > non-corporate versions?

    Yes, We have clients that use NAV 2004/2005 on their home computers, about
    80+ of them, that have no problems at all with NAV. The key thing to keep
    in mind is that none of our users run Windows XP with 128MB of RAM, don't
    over-clock, don't pirate software, and most are very ethical. While I've
    read reports, many of them, about NAV causing problems for people, we've
    never been able to see those same issues on a well built, properly
    maintained computer, even simple home user machines.

    I used NAV until stitching to the Corporate Edition at my home (bought 50
    licenses for my home), and never experienced a single problem with it. I
    do not test/install their suites (like NIS), only their AV products.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2005
  17. gp

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:50:12 -0500, optikl wrote:

    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> Malware comes in many paths - and the AV product is the only thing,
    >> other than the standard OS/apps, that is being done to protect them
    >> from malware. We scan the network as a reactive measure, not a
    >> proactive (although it could be seen in that light) measure. The ladies
    >> are permitted to do anything except P2P sharing, some have Windows XP
    >> SP2, some Windows XP SP1, some MAC OS/X (unpatched), some use IE/OE,
    >> IE/Outlook, FireFox/OE, etc.... We don't do anything except make sure
    >> they have valid AV software on their machines.

    > Don't underestimate the effect of not tolerating p2p file sharing.
    > That's how my daughter's machine (she's also a sorority girl)became a
    > toilet.

    I never have under-estimated any threat.

    >> They came into the house at the start of the school year with thousands
    >> of viruses on their machines (total, not each) and were cleaned or
    >> wiped/reinstalled, AVG was installed for any student that didn't have
    >> at least 6 months left on their AV subscriptions (started at AVG6, most
    >> updated to AVG7 when the update was available). Since that time, none
    >> of them have been compromised, but many have had inbound emails with
    >> virus infected attachments (which AVG catches and removes access to).

    [snip]

    >> With the exception of ladies installing P2P apps from time to time
    >> (which we catch and disable their internet access until removed), the
    >> network and systems have been free from compromise.
    >>

    > See. You provided a helpful lesson to them and it's working. I'd say you
    > earned your pay.

    Which doesn't change the recommendation that AVG is a good product for
    general home use, which is where this started. AVG has been proved in our
    testing, and, though we're not a AV test company, it's worked to protect
    clients we've installed it for.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2005
  18. gp

    winged Guest

    Ashley Pride wrote:
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> Funny, it's nice to see how the ignorant respond. I've been using Norton
    >> AV products since they came out, then Symantec AV products, then
    >> Corporate
    >> Symantec AV products. I've never purchased a suite from them, but the
    >> Norton AV and Symantec AV products have protected our networks and our
    >> customers networks better than any other product on the market.
    >>
    >> To be fair, we install the leading 10 products on machines in the offices
    >> (5 each) every year, scan for missed/unknowns, and find that nothing
    >> beats
    >> the Symantec Corp AV products for performance, size, and detection - and
    >> they even do Exchange, Groupware, and pop/smtp email scanning.

    > But what does that have to do with home use? Symantec CE edition is very
    > good, and from my experience detection rate is good. Symantec home
    > versions are bug ridden, and bloated. Have you done any testing using
    > non-corporate versions?
    >
    > Ash.

    I agree that symantec is bloated and has a heavy hand on the system
    however It has been rated highly repeatedly by a number of competent
    authorities.

    I have run the "home" product on systems though I must admit I prefer
    the CE edition as some of the "dick and Jane" features of consumer
    product are problematic, and the settings backup and restore features of
    the Home edition firewall are not straight forward (actually not real
    happy on firewall organization of either home or CE as they scatter
    functions to non sub firewall menus).

    I don't believe the Symantec AV only solution works as well with 2nd
    party firewalls as a number of functionalities are lost.

    AV however is only one piece of the multi piece puzzle. Nothing can
    replace a user as the first line of defense. Safe computing habits are
    key to keeping a system clean.

    Winged

    winged, Apr 12, 2005
  19. gp

    Martin Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    > I used NAV until stitching to the Corporate Edition at my home (bought 50
    > licenses for my home),

    hell's teeth! How big's your home? lol

    I thought I was doing well with two Unix servers, a Linux server a
    Windows server and handful of PCs. But 50?

    I know what it is, you're going to challenge Big Blue at the next chess
    tourney

    Martin, Apr 12, 2005
  20. gp

    Alceryes Guest

    > AVG works for 38 Sorority girls without an infection.

    LOL...Lucky AVG...8-p
    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes

    Alceryes, Apr 12, 2005