    less costly company to use that does the same thing, Thanks in anticipation
    & Merry Christmas
    Jan
    janjan, Dec 21, 2003

  2. goto www.grisoft.com and download avg antivirus free edition. its a good
    program, and its free

    robert andrews, Dec 22, 2003

  3. goto www.grisoft.com and download avg antivirus free edition. its a good
    program, and its free

    robert andrews, Dec 22, 2003
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B0Mike=B0?=, Dec 22, 2003
  5. janjan

    Yddap Guest

    In news:1EqFb.1922$d%,
    robert andrews <> opined:
    > goto www.grisoft.com and download avg antivirus free edition. its a good
    > program, and its free
    > "janjan" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> My Norton Antivirus is due for renewal in a couple of days. Is there a
    >> less costly company to use that does the same thing, Thanks in anticipation
    >> & Merry Christmas
    >> Jan

    Agreed

    Yddap
    Yddap, Dec 22, 2003
  6. janjan

    Brian H¹© Guest

    robert andrews said:

    > goto www.grisoft.com and download avg antivirus free edition. its a good
    > program, and its free

    Pleonasm.
    The free edition is free.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 22, 2003
  7. janjan

    Senti Guest

    > robert andrews said:
    >
    > > goto www.grisoft.com and download avg antivirus free edition. its a

    good
    > > program, and its free

    > Pleonasm.
    > The free edition is free.

    I hate when they charge for the free edition :p

    Senti, Dec 22, 2003
  8. janjan

    Shadow Rider Guest

    Check out Avast. It is free for home use and gets numerous awards for virus
    protection.

    Shadow Rider, Dec 22, 2003
  9. janjan

    °Mike° Guest

    Avast is *crap*!
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:31:07 -0600, in
    <>
    Shadow Rider scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  10. janjan

    Nottoman Guest

    You get what you pay for. Free means they don't have to perform at peak
    performance and the competitive quality isn't there. I'm not saying all free
    products are junk, but wake up.
    I have done free scans, etc on a machine that came up clean, and then ran
    eTrust EZ AntiVirus and bingo there were several viruses.

    www.my-etrust.com

    25 bucks

    Nottoman, Dec 22, 2003
  11. janjan

    bassbag Guest

    In article <xLxFb.14522$>,
    says...
    > You get what you pay for. Free means they don't have to perform at peak
    > performance and the competitive quality isn't there. I'm not saying all free
    > products are junk, but wake up.
    > I have done free scans, etc on a machine that came up clean, and then ran
    > eTrust EZ AntiVirus and bingo there were several viruses.
    >
    > www.my-etrust.com
    >
    > 25 bucks
    >

    > "janjan" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > My Norton Antivirus is due for renewal in a couple of days. Is there a
    > > less costly company to use that does the same thing, Thanks in

    > anticipation
    > > & Merry Christmas
    > > Jan

    Being free doesnt always mean theres a compromise.AVG and avast free use
    the same engine and databases as the paid for versions of thier products,
    but usually with support or certain custom testing not available in them
    ..Now whether the paid for versions are crap too is debatable :)
    me
    bassbag, Dec 22, 2003
  12. janjan

    bassbag Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Avast is *crap*!
    > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml
    >

    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:31:07 -0600, in
    > <>
    > Shadow Rider scrawled:
    >
    > >Check out Avast. It is free for home use and gets numerous awards for virus
    > >protection.

    > >janjan wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >> My Norton Antivirus is due for renewal in a couple of days. Is
    > >> there a less costly company to use that does the same thing, Thanks
    > >> in anticipation & Merry Christmas
    > >> Jan

    Seems to me th VBA awards are pretty much crap too although vendors seem
    to be wanting the awards for some reason.
    http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/awards/vb0207.htm
    me
    bassbag, Dec 22, 2003
  13. janjan

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:13:12 -0000, in
    <>
    bassbag scrawled:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Avast is *crap*!
    >> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml
    >>

    >> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:31:07 -0600, in
    >> <>
    >> Shadow Rider scrawled:
    >>
    >> >Check out Avast. It is free for home use and gets numerous awards for virus
    >> >protection.

    >Seems to me th VBA awards are pretty much crap too although vendors seem
    >to be wanting the awards for some reason.
    >http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/awards/vb0207.htm
    >me

    They are the best thermometer of an antivirus program out there -- unless
    you know better?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  14. janjan

    Shadow Rider Guest

    Shadow Rider, Dec 23, 2003
  15. janjan

    Shadow Rider Guest

    > They are the best thermometer of an antivirus program out there --
    > unless
    > you know better?

    One more:

    http://www.av-test.org
    Shadow Rider, Dec 23, 2003
  16. janjan

    bassbag Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:13:12 -0000, in
    > <>
    > bassbag scrawled:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> Avast is *crap*!
    > >> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml
    > >>

    > >> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:31:07 -0600, in
    > >> <>
    > >> Shadow Rider scrawled:

    > >Seems to me th VBA awards are pretty much crap too although vendors seem
    > >to be wanting the awards for some reason.
    > >http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/awards/vb0207.htm
    > >me

    > They are the best thermometer of an antivirus program out there -- unless
    > you know better?

    All i know is that according to the link i posted (which seems pretty
    genuine ) that an AV can win the VBA 100 awards failing to detect 299
    real viruses ,while another detects "ALL" the viruses but fails on one
    false positive and is disqualified.On the assumption that the criteria
    for testing hasnt changed ,it doesnt leave me with much confidence in the
    seemingly general acceptance (my opinion of course),that a failure means
    it doesnt detect as many viruses as a pass, which has been proved to be a
    false assumption.In fairness to VBA i think they sum it up nicely with a
    quote from their procedure page...

    "A VB 100% award means that a product has passed our tests, no more and
    no less. The failure to attain a VB 100% award is not a declaration that
    a product cannot provide adequate protection in the real world if
    administered by a professional. We would urge any potential customer,
    when looking at the VB 100% record of any software, not simply to
    consider passes and fails, but to read the small print in the reviews."

    me
    bassbag, Dec 23, 2003
  17. janjan

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 01:46:13 -0000, in
    <>
    bassbag scrawled:

    >In article <>,
    > says...

    <snip>

    >> They are the best thermometer of an antivirus program out there -- unless
    >> you know better?
    >>

    >All i know is that according to the link i posted (which seems pretty
    >genuine ) that an AV can win the VBA 100 awards failing to detect 299
    >real viruses ,while another detects "ALL" the viruses but fails on one
    >false positive and is disqualified.On the assumption that the criteria
    >for testing hasnt changed ,it doesnt leave me with much confidence in the
    >seemingly general acceptance (my opinion of course),that a failure means
    >it doesnt detect as many viruses as a pass, which has been proved to be a
    >false assumption.In fairness to VBA i think they sum it up nicely with a
    >quote from their procedure page...

    That is a very misleading statement. As you quote below, read the fine print.

    >"A VB 100% award means that a product has passed our tests, no more and
    >no less. The failure to attain a VB 100% award is not a declaration that
    >a product cannot provide adequate protection in the real world if
    >administered by a professional. We would urge any potential customer,
    >when looking at the VB 100% record of any software, not simply to
    >consider passes and fails, but to read the small print in the reviews."
    >
    >me

    Like I said, they are the best thermometer for an AV program.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2003
  18. janjan

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2003
  19. janjan

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2003
  20. janjan

    Gil Guest

    "janjan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > My Norton Antivirus is due for renewal in a couple of days. Is there a
    > less costly company to use that does the same thing, Thanks in

    anticipation
    > & Merry Christmas
    > Jan
    > I have XP Home on my computer which came with Nortons 2002.

    When it came up for renewal i bought nortons 2003 and installed it.
    A short time later i had a problem and had to do a system recovery
    and to my surprise it gave me back the 2002 for another year.
    I was told that it had something to do with clearing the registry.
    Maybe someone else can tell you more.
    I have used avg free edition and found it to be ok and my wife has it on
    her machine and it does a good job there.
    Good luck...Gil
    Gil, Dec 23, 2003