    priced for xp64. the only version I found was by symantec and it was the
    corporate version. not a single pc version.

    This is for my home computer. i am currently running 32 bit version.

    =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=, May 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Avast price free

    John Barnes, May 19, 2006

  3. Charlie Russel has a list on his blog that you might wanna check out:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/03/05/85483.aspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 19, 2006
  4. I use Avast 4.7 Home Edition (it's Free of Charge for Home User's, the
    Corporate Professional Edition is only $49.99 U.S.A. Dollar's a Year Per
    Computer) with Windows XP X64 Edition. http://www.avast.com/

    Kevin John Panzke, May 19, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    Red Guest

    Avast is free alright but when you'd decide to dump it, you won't be able to
    do so because of traces it leaves in the registry that cannot be erased. I
    use McAffee version 8.0 and it works for XP32 and 64

    "You get what you pay for"

    Red, May 20, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    Graham Guest

    Red wrote:
    > Avast is free alright but when you'd decide to dump it, you won't be able to
    > do so because of traces it leaves in the registry that cannot be erased. I
    > use McAffee version 8.0 and it works for XP32 and 64

    Ah, echos of last week.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 20, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Guess he missed the uninstall program from the Avast site and what registry
    entry can't be erased? Next to Norton, McAfee is another disaster to try to
    uninstall. Hope he enjoys regristry editing when he tries to undo it.
    Seems to be common with A/V products, but at least Avast has automated
    theirs and Norton and McAfee have pages of steps to manually remove theirs.
    Been there, done that. Never again with either.

    John Barnes, May 20, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    Larry Hodges Guest

    > Guess he missed the uninstall program from the Avast site and what
    > registry entry can't be erased? Next to Norton, McAfee is another disaster
    > to try to uninstall. Hope he enjoys regristry editing when he tries to
    > undo it. Seems to be common with A/V products, but at least Avast has
    > automated theirs and Norton and McAfee have pages of steps to manually
    > remove theirs. Been there, done that. Never again with either.
    >
    > "Graham" <> wrote in message
    >> Red wrote:
    >>> Avast is free alright but when you'd decide to dump it, you won't be
    >>> able to do so because of traces it leaves in the registry that cannot be
    >>> erased. I use McAffee version 8.0 and it works for XP32 and 64

    >> Ah, echos of last week.
    >>
    >> Graham.

    When I was running XP 32 bit before this system, I tried McAffee. Talk
    about a recourse hog. It would regularly hit my CPU (AMD x2 3800+) for no
    reason that I could see. I wasn't getting email. I had to dump it. Three
    weeks ago, I was called to a client's office to troubleshoot one of their XP
    Pro workstations. Norton AV was gobbling up memory. The system would sit
    there idle, and over the course of a day, take 200+ MB. I dumped it and
    installed Avast. They've been happy as a clam since.

    -Larry
    Maximize Software, Inc.

    Larry Hodges, May 20, 2006
  9. Actually, we've had one (1) other report of this happening, and checking the
    Avast home site it turns out this is a phenomena that they are aware of and
    something they produced a distinct un-installation utility to counter, if
    you have that problem it is right there in full view on the main page.

    You don't have to 'like' every good product there is, and if you don't like
    it you'll find something else, but it is not fair to put a very nice product
    to critisism for a failure that pops up in very few situations and which
    they have fixed as well. I am perfectly happy with Avast, and I am not
    alone. Check it out and make your own judgement. I have seen no other A/V do
    it's job without weighing down the OS and the machine in a way that is quite
    obvious.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 20, 2006
  10. This brings to mind a local joke that surfaced here a few years ago. After a
    couple of incidents there was a Graffiti down town that said: "Help your
    local Police - Beat yourself over the head!"

    With these 'other' A/V's you pay a substantial subscription for being
    abused. If anybody feels abused by the use of Avast, at least they didn't
    have to pay. A vast ( sic! ) improvement, I would say.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 20, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    Josh Hillman Guest

    I use Grisoft AVG 7.1 Professional on my Windows XP x64 machine and
    have no complaints. i've got it configured to do its thing in the
    background; I never see it and it never intrudes upon whatever I'm
    doing--just the way I like it.

    http://www.grisoft.com

    I don't know off-hand if the free version of AVG works on XP x64:
    http://free.grisoft.com

    Josh

    Josh Hillman, May 20, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 21:03:02 -0400, "Red" <> wrote:

    >Avast is free alright but when you'd decide to dump it, you won't be able to
    >do so because of traces it leaves in the registry that cannot be erased.

    If you would have browsed the Avast support site, you would have found the
    link to an uninstall utility at:
    And no, don't pin this only on Avast. There is plenty of programs which
    leave traces in the registry and undeleted folders.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, May 20, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you tried the AVG 64-bit firewall?

    John Barnes, May 20, 2006
  14. Josh Hillman wrote:

    >I use Grisoft AVG 7.1 Professional on my Windows XP x64 machine and
    >have no complaints. i've got it configured to do its thing in the
    >background; I never see it and it never intrudes upon whatever I'm
    >doing--just the way I like it.
    >
    >http://www.grisoft.com
    >
    >I don't know off-hand if the free version of AVG works on XP x64:
    >http://free.grisoft.com

    So far, Free AVG has not supported x64. But then AVG is extremely
    reasonably priced anyway ($39 for 2 years, or $59 for 2 years for 2
    machines [SOHO2]). Oh, and licence renewals are 50% of purchase price.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 20, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    Mike Guest

    ted185 wrote:
    > Does any one know of a version of antivirus software that is reasonably
    > priced for xp64. the only version I found was by symantec and it was the
    > corporate version. not a single pc version.
    >
    > This is for my home computer. i am currently running 32 bit version.

    Avast worked fine for me for a while and then hogged the CPU at odd times.

    NOD32 gives you a month's free trial and so far is fast, reliable and
    hassle free.
    I'm probably going to get this one when the trial period is up.
    Try it for your self.

    Mike

    Mike, May 20, 2006
  16. Hey Guys,
    Are you saying McAfee now works with Windows Xp Pro 64bit?

    Thanks
    Op

    =?Utf-8?B?T3BlWHA=?=, May 20, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    Josh Hillman Guest

    That, I have not done, so I have no experience with it.

    Josh

    Josh Hillman, May 20, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?dGVkMTg1?=

    Yak64 Guest

    Norton crashed on me once during an update, and the system was so
    utterly messed up I had to completely reinstall windows. Not even the
    Symantec uninstall tool and a lot of manual registry editing would fix
    the problem.

    I'm not as disdainful of free AV software as I once was, that's for
    sure.

    Yak64, May 21, 2006
  19. See my blog posting for a list, including McAfee, that work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2006
  20. P.S. It (Avast 4.7 Home Edition) work's so great for me, that I am using it
    on my Mom and Dad's Computer as well (which they are also running a
    different copy of Windows XP X64 Edition, as well), just FYI.

    Kevin John Panzke, May 21, 2006