    single licence that allows installtioon on both(like macromedia do) would be
    preferable.

    TIA

    Rob, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Rob

    XPD Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:1139010363.804928@ftpsrv1...
    > Anyone have any recommendations on a good antivirus software (perhaps with
    > integrated firewall). I am wanting to avoid Nortons and Mcafee, due to the
    > amounts of resources they take up. I have tried NOD, which looks quite
    > good. I am also looking at AVGs paid version, but am not sure how much
    > resources it uses. I am wanting to use it on my desktop and my portable
    > laptop, so a single licence that allows installtioon on both(like
    > macromedia do) would be preferable.
    >
    > TIA

    Ive used AVG Free without too many hassles, although quite often itll find
    viruses but not do anyhing with them until I boot into safe mode and
    rescan...most likely due to files are in use etc which is fair enough....
    Now using NOD32 for a while to see what its like. Havent had any resource
    issues with it but also havent had any viruses to test it with :)

    XPD, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Rob

    Malcolm Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone have any recommendations on a good antivirus software (perhaps
    >> with integrated firewall). I am wanting to avoid Nortons and Mcafee, due
    >> to the amounts of resources they take up. I have tried NOD, which looks
    >> quite good. I am also looking at AVGs paid version, but am not sure how
    >> much resources it uses. I am wanting to use it on my desktop and my
    >> portable laptop, so a single licence that allows installtioon on
    >> both(like macromedia do) would be preferable.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Ive used AVG Free without too many hassles, although quite often itll find
    > viruses but not do anyhing with them until I boot into safe mode and
    > rescan...most likely due to files are in use etc which is fair enough....
    > Now using NOD32 for a while to see what its like. Havent had any resource
    > issues with it but also havent had any viruses to test it with :)

    Hi
    There is a test page at http://www.eicar.org/

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Rob

    nick Guest

    nick, Feb 4, 2006
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Thanks for the recommendations. I should have also said that I don't mind
    paying, and I am going to use it for partly business use. The problem with
    the free version of AVG(which I have found to be good), is that it puts a
    footer message saying taht I am using the free version, which I want to
    remove.

    Rob, Feb 4, 2006
  6. Rob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "nick" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.free-av.com

    Which has just gone through big changes with the release of version 7.
    Updates on it were shocking until just recently. Extra servers were added
    and the new version 7 program was removed from the update files which
    overloaded the update servers with all the big downloads for it.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 4, 2006
  7. Rob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the recommendations. I should have also said that I don't mind
    > paying, and I am going to use it for partly business use. The problem with
    > the free version of AVG(which I have found to be good), is that it puts a
    > footer message saying taht I am using the free version, which I want to
    > remove.

    When I tried it a few years back the release version info could be removed
    in the settings of it.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 4, 2006
  8. Rob

    David Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Anyone have any recommendations on a good antivirus software (perhaps with
    > integrated firewall). I am wanting to avoid Nortons and Mcafee, due to the
    > amounts of resources they take up. I have tried NOD, which looks quite good.
    > I am also looking at AVGs paid version, but am not sure how much resources
    > it uses. I am wanting to use it on my desktop and my portable laptop, so a
    > single licence that allows installtioon on both(like macromedia do) would be
    > preferable.
    >
    > TIA

    I've found NOD32 excellent as far as resource use goes and have been
    using it for a few months. It hasn't detected any viruses yet, but I
    guess that's a good thing.

    David, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Rob

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <1139010363.804928@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    > Anyone have any recommendations on a good antivirus software (perhaps with
    > integrated firewall). I am wanting to avoid Nortons and Mcafee, due to the
    > amounts of resources they take up. I have tried NOD, which looks quite good.
    > I am also looking at AVGs paid version, but am not sure how much resources
    > it uses. I am wanting to use it on my desktop and my portable laptop, so a
    > single licence that allows installtioon on both(like macromedia do) would be
    > preferable.
    >
    > TIA

    Mac OSX ?
    ZERO viruses after 6 years
    ZERO spyware after 6 years
    ZERO adware after 6 years

    And it can still run MS office, Photoshop, Macromedia, Adbobe products.

    whoisthis, Feb 4, 2006
  10. Rob

    XPD Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the recommendations. I should have also said that I don't mind
    > paying, and I am going to use it for partly business use. The problem with
    > the free version of AVG(which I have found to be good), is that it puts a
    > footer message saying taht I am using the free version, which I want to
    > remove.

    Turn that off then :)
    Can be done via the email scanner options.

    XPD, Feb 4, 2006
  11. T'was the Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:48:29 +1300 when I remembered "Rob"
    <> saying something like this:

    http://www.free-av.com.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 4, 2006
  12. T'was the Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:04:14 +1300 when I remembered whoisthis
    <> saying something like this:

    >Mac OSX ?
    >ZERO viruses after 6 years
    >ZERO spyware after 6 years
    >ZERO adware after 6 years

    And how much % of the market for all this?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 4, 2006
  13. Rob

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1139012410.848656@ftpsrv1>, says...

    Like XPD said - turn it off! :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Feb 4, 2006
  14. Rob

    neutrino Guest

    Sygate Presonal Firewall 5.6
    and
    Avast antivirus~ free for home use.

    and u can't go wrong!

    neutrino, Feb 4, 2006
  15. Rob

    neutrino Guest

    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6

    neutrino, Feb 4, 2006
  16. Rob

    Rider Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1139010363.804928@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have any recommendations on a good antivirus software (perhaps
    >> with
    >> integrated firewall). I am wanting to avoid Nortons and Mcafee, due to
    >> the
    >> amounts of resources they take up. I have tried NOD, which looks quite
    >> good.
    >> I am also looking at AVGs paid version, but am not sure how much
    >> resources
    >> it uses. I am wanting to use it on my desktop and my portable laptop, so
    >> single licence that allows installtioon on both(like macromedia do) would
    >> be
    >> preferable.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Mac OSX ?
    > ZERO viruses after 6 years
    > ZERO spyware after 6 years
    > ZERO adware after 6 years
    >
    > And it can still run MS office, Photoshop, Macromedia, Adbobe products.

    There's always one. Actually, I haven't seen a Linux zealot yet.

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 4, 2006
  17. Rob

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    > T'was the Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:04:14 +1300 when I remembered whoisthis
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    > >Mac OSX ?
    > >ZERO viruses after 6 years
    > >ZERO spyware after 6 years
    > >ZERO adware after 6 years

    > And how much % of the market for all this?
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.
    > See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    Don't know, but they their market share increased at twice the rate of
    the wintel lot last year. I also know Apple has better than 80% of the
    MP3 player market world wide, and the online music worldwide, so can I
    presume you have dumped any old hardware/software you used to use and
    have gone iPod and iTunes and iTunes music store ?, or shall we now
    apply a different set of rules ?

    I am yet though to figure out what market share is all about, I have CPM
    machines which currently have ZERO market share, yet all the software on
    them still works, and has done so for oh...20 odd years after the
    machines were no longer made.

    Does market share suddenly stop Office running....NO
    Does market share suddenly stop Photoshop running....NO
    Does market share suddenly stop Acrobat running....NO
    Does market share suddenly stop Dreamweaver running....NO
    Does market share suddenly stop Filemaker Pro running....NO
    Does market share suddenly stop Web browsers running....NO
    Does market share suddenly stop mail programs running....NO

    But as market share is so important then lets look at individual
    manufacturers, Apple is currently what.. No3/No4 supplier of hardware in
    the world, If Apple is to be written off because they are only No3/No4
    the all the pc assemblers is NZ should close up shop because their share
    is insignificant in comparison.

    I MUST use PCs at work, because thats all they have, I CHOOSE to use
    Macs everywhere else because they are simply better. In six years I have
    put in ZERO money towards anti-virus software, and more importantly I
    have put in ZERO time in the last 6 years. I have used up ZERO bandwidth
    downloading updates for antivirus software, antispyware software,
    antiadware software. I have once machine on the net 24/7 for the last 2
    years so I can telnet into it, zero downtime,zero protection,zero
    hassles.

    YOUR time may be worth nothing, mine is.

    Challenge yourself, try working out how many hours in the last 6 years
    you have spent keeping ahead of the viruses, spyware,adware, Multiply
    that by say $20/hr, no add in how much money you have spent on network
    traffic keeping them up to date etc and let me know the real running
    costs you incur.

    whoisthis, Feb 4, 2006
  18. Rob

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, mer
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > Waylon Kenning <> wrote:
    >
    > > T'was the Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:04:14 +1300 when I remembered whoisthis
    > > <> saying something like this:
    > >
    > > >Mac OSX ?
    > > >ZERO viruses after 6 years
    > > >ZERO spyware after 6 years
    > > >ZERO adware after 6 years

    > > And how much % of the market for all this?
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Waylon Kenning.
    > > See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    > Don't know, but they their market share increased at twice the rate of
    > the wintel lot last year. I also know Apple has better than 80% of the
    > MP3 player market world wide, and the online music worldwide, so can I
    > presume you have dumped any old hardware/software you used to use and
    > have gone iPod and iTunes and iTunes music store ?, or shall we now
    > apply a different set of rules ?
    >
    > I am yet though to figure out what market share is all about, I have CPM
    > machines which currently have ZERO market share, yet all the software on
    > them still works, and has done so for oh...20 odd years after the
    > machines were no longer made.
    >
    > Does market share suddenly stop Office running....NO
    > Does market share suddenly stop Photoshop running....NO
    > Does market share suddenly stop Acrobat running....NO
    > Does market share suddenly stop Dreamweaver running....NO
    > Does market share suddenly stop Filemaker Pro running....NO
    > Does market share suddenly stop Web browsers running....NO
    > Does market share suddenly stop mail programs running....NO
    >
    > But as market share is so important then lets look at individual
    > manufacturers, Apple is currently what.. No3/No4 supplier of hardware in
    > the world, If Apple is to be written off because they are only No3/No4
    > the all the pc assemblers is NZ should close up shop because their share
    > is insignificant in comparison.
    >
    > I MUST use PCs at work, because thats all they have, I CHOOSE to use
    > Macs everywhere else because they are simply better. In six years I have
    > put in ZERO money towards anti-virus software, and more importantly I
    > have put in ZERO time in the last 6 years. I have used up ZERO bandwidth
    > downloading updates for antivirus software, antispyware software,
    > antiadware software. I have once machine on the net 24/7 for the last 2
    > years so I can telnet into it, zero downtime,zero protection,zero
    > hassles.
    >
    > YOUR time may be worth nothing, mine is.
    >
    > Challenge yourself, try working out how many hours in the last 6 years
    > you have spent keeping ahead of the viruses, spyware,adware, Multiply
    > that by say $20/hr, no add in how much money you have spent on network
    > traffic keeping them up to date etc and let me know the real running
    > costs you incur.

    Are you saying Macs are immune to viruses? Or are you saying that it is
    so "untargeted" that you just don't consider the risk to be important
    enough to protect against.

    Linux is gaining wider acceptance all the time - I'll bet it, like
    Windows, will become targeted - in short, if yer a big player, you'll be
    targeted - if yer not, yer won't be (doesn't mean zero viruses exist for
    your OS though).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Feb 4, 2006
  19. Rob

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Dave Doe <> wrote:

    > Are you saying Macs are immune to viruses? Or are you saying that it is
    > so "untargeted" that you just don't consider the risk to be important
    > enough to protect against.

    No what I am saying is that Mac OSX is inherantly more secure than
    windows and some implentations of linux.

    > Linux is gaining wider acceptance all the time - I'll bet it, like
    > Windows, will become targeted - in short, if yer a big player, you'll be
    > targeted - if yer not, yer won't be (doesn't mean zero viruses exist for
    > your OS though).

    Actually there are linux viruses

    Linux.OSF.8759
    Linux.RST
    Worm.Linux.Adm
    Worm.Linux.Cheese
    Worm.Linux.Mighty
    Worm.Linux.Ramen
    Worm.Linux.Slapper

    Feel free to give me a list of actual Mac OSX viruses.

    whoisthis, Feb 4, 2006
  20. Rob

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:25:46 +1300, whoisthis wrote:

    > No what I am saying is that Mac OSX is inherantly more secure than
    > windows and some implentations of linux.

    Then what you are saying is wrong and I am NOT surprised YOU came out with
    it. Not only is the mac os NOT inherently more secure it is in fact
    inherently LESS secure.

    This article explains a part of the problem:

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securi...OS_X_vulnerable_/0,2000061744,39234678,00.htm
    http://www.security-protocols.com/advisory/sp-x22-advisory.txt

    There are many such. Security is a dirty secret at Apple.

    There are also plenty of vulnerabilities with other apple products.

    You are living in a fools paradise. The only reason you have not had
    viruses on your computer is because the mac has not been worth the effort
    so far.

    The last time *I* had a virus on my computer was around 5 years ago,
    spyware - NEVER. And it's running windows, XP these days. And I play around
    with p2p, deal with infected customer's machines, and like trying new
    software out. AND had a direct connection to the net (e.g. no NAT, only
    xp's built in firewall). E.g. all the stuff known to be a risk.

    *I* am more secure than you are.

    > Feel free to give me a list of actual Mac OSX viruses.

    This site will explain it in more detail:

    http://technovia.typepad.com/technovia/2006/01/why_dont_mac_si.html

    Basically, when the mac becomes a little more popular there will be spyware
    for it. And when that happens EVERY mac will go down in a screaming heap
    because of attitudes like yours.

    'inherently more secure' - **** off. Linux is more secure than the mac - if
    for no other reason than the developers acknowledge the facts.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Guy goes into the doctor's. "Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck
    up my backside." "How's that?" "Don't you start."

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/02/2006 11:46:54 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 4, 2006