AntiVirus Software

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by target7, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. target7

    target7 Guest

    My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This i
    soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software
    Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap o
    preferably a free download.

    On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leanin
    towards downloading the free version of Avast.

    On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?1
    (around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It wa
    packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price
    Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.

    I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the interne
    alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions o
    advice?

    EDIT: Just remembered that I have Windows Defender, would this suffic
    once my Norton trial has expired

    --
    target
    target7's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3994.ht

    http://www.futurehardware.i

    target7, Jun 22, 2007

  2. target7

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:52:53 +0530, target7 <>
    wrote:

    >My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
    >soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
    >Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
    >preferably a free download.

    For XP:

    www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)

    For Vista:

    http://www.kaspersky.com/trials (free trial)

    Unlike Norton, Kaspersky is worth every cent you pay for it.

    >On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning
    >towards downloading the free version of Avast.
    >
    >On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?10
    >(around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It was
    >packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price?
    >Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.

    Norton stinks. It's ineffective, and it's bloatware.

    >I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the internet
    >alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions or
    >advice?
    >
    >EDIT: Just remembered that I have Windows Defender, would this suffice
    >once my Norton trial has expired?

    NO. And for that matter, neither does Norton. Be sure to thoroughly scan your
    system once you've removed it.

    --
    <wilhelm> "Idiot prices fell today with the expected announcement
    from the Fed that there would be no shortage of idiots for the

    Mara, Jun 22, 2007

  3. target7

    Daave Guest

    target7 wrote:
    > My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
    > soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
    > Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
    > preferably a free download.
    >
    > On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning
    > towards downloading the free version of Avast.

    Avast is good, but so is AVG; why doesn't it appeal to you?

    Antivir (also free) has many fans:

    http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

    Paid versions which are highly recommended include NOD32:

    http://www.eset.com/products/windows.php

    .... and Kaspersky:

    http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_services/HomeProducts.php

    > On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?10
    > (around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It
    > was packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price?
    > Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.

    Do yourself a favor and avoid Norton/Symantec and McAfee like the
    plague. Many times they wind up bogging down systems, causing conflicts
    and hangs.

    > I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the internet
    > alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions or
    > advice?

    Be very careful when you use P2P applications like Limewire. Make sure
    you don't hide file extensions and be sure to manually scan everything
    you download.

    > EDIT: Just remembered that I have Windows Defender, would this suffice
    > once my Norton trial has expired?

    Windows Defender protects only against spyware and adware, not viruses.
    I personally don't use it, but many seem to like it.

    Some premium versions of antivirus programs also provide some protection
    against spyware. Personally, I rely on the free version of AVG antivirus
    and the following (all free) for taking care of spyware/adware:

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

    Spybot Search & Destroy

    SpywareBlaster

    A-Squared
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

    CWShredder
    http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/personal/CWShredder/

    Daave, Jun 22, 2007
  4. target7

    Bill Guest

    "target7" <> wrote in message

    > On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning
    > towards downloading the free version of Avast.

    I use Limewire, and Avast, and on several occasions Avast has detected
    nasties in downloads and saved me a lot of hassle.

    Bill

    Bill, Jun 22, 2007
  5. target7

    ded Guest

    http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/a/freeav.htm

    http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/tp/aatpavwin.htm

    ded, Jun 22, 2007
  6. target7

    olfart Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:52:53 +0530, target7 <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
    >>soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
    >>Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
    >>preferably a free download.

    > For XP:
    >
    > www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)

    Mara...have you tried this?? Since it's from AOL I would expect to be
    bombarded with ads and other bothersome emails

    olfart, Jun 22, 2007
  7. olfart wrote:

    > "Mara" <> wrote:
    >> target7 <> wrote:
    >>> My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
    >>> soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
    >>> Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
    >>> preferably a free download.

    >> For XP:
    >>
    >> www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)
    >>

    > Mara...have you tried this?? Since it's from AOL I would expect to be
    > bombarded with ads and other bothersome emails

    In the anti-virus groups, folks have said this tool has a Kaspersky
    engine, is very good, but: DO NOT INSTALL THE TOOLBAR.

    I have no personal experience with it.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 22, 2007
  8. target7

    tom Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:52:53 +0530, target7

    <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
    > >>soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
    > >>Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
    > >>preferably a free download.

    > > For XP:
    > >
    > > www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)
    > >

    > Mara...have you tried this?? Since it's from AOL I would expect to be
    > bombarded with ads and other bothersome emails

    Been using it about 3 months now. No spam of any kind. I used a gmail
    account for activation code when I installed it and have noticed no follow
    up emails. Been dependable with frequent updates so far.

    tom, Jun 22, 2007
  9. target7

    olfart Guest

    "tom" <> wrote in message

    > "olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mara" <> wrote in message
    >> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:52:53 +0530, target7

    > <>

    >> > For XP:
    >> >
    >> > www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)
    >> >

    >> Mara...have you tried this?? Since it's from AOL I would expect to be
    >> bombarded with ads and other bothersome emails
    >>

    > Been using it about 3 months now. No spam of any kind. I used a gmail
    > account for activation code when I installed it and have noticed no follow
    > up emails. Been dependable with frequent updates so far.

    Thanks...might give it a shot

    olfart, Jun 22, 2007
  10. target7

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jun 23, 2007
  11. target7 wrote:

    > My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
    > soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
    > Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
    > preferably a free download.

    To get rid of Norton (almost) completely, you have to hunt for a
    tool "symnrt", they have it on their site I think.
    First try to uninstall in safe mode, or use msconfig and uncheck the
    norton/symantec services before the restart.

    > On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning
    > towards downloading the free version of Avast.

    Like others said, the www.activevirusschield.com (a one-year-free
    subscription to Kaspersky, sponsored by AOL) is highly recommended. You
    just may uncheck the "install aol security toolbar" thing, when installing.
    I never got one spam on the disposable e-mail address I gave them.

    In addition, to defeat spyware, spybot s&d is a good choice.
    You should activate "teatimer" as well, to protect against hidden registry
    manipulations.

    > On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?10
    > (around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It was
    > packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price?
    > Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.

    It isn't worth even the $20,- and probably has updates for 6 months only,
    then you need to resubscribe and pay again.

    > I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the internet
    > alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions or
    > advice?
    >
    > EDIT: Just remembered that I have Windows Defender, would this suffice
    > once my Norton trial has expired?

    Windows defender can only give basic spyware protection. When using
    limewire, best practice is to "quarantine" new downloads for at least 3
    days, then scan them with a updated virus scanner. If they are compressed
    with password, you have to unpack them before scanning, but avoid install.
    Do only work under "restricted user" priviledges for daily use, you have the
    nice "run as" for quick installs.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 23, 2007