    x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I found
    out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software. What antivirus
    options do I have?
    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=, Jun 17, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:14:08 -0700, "Pete Lynch"
    <> wrote:

    >Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I found
    >out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software.

    Symantec does upport, but you need version 10. A nice free alternative
    (free as in: for personal use only) is Avast. You can also try the
    64-bit beta from NOD32.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 17, 2005

  3. Avast

    The free one from Avast:
    Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
    software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
    Anti-Virus product is now available for download.

    NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
    Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
    release.

    http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 17, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    I wouldn't wish Norton or McAfee on anyone. Try one of the free 64 bit AV
    that are in beta right now. When available, I would highly recommend Trend
    Micro PC-cillian.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net
    Torrey Lauer, Jun 17, 2005
  5. Symantec products are good on the 32 bit side based on my experiences.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 17, 2005
  6. We'll have to disagree, there. Too pervasive and invasive, IMHO.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 17, 2005
  7. Actually, I meant the Coporate Editions of AntiVirus I mean, yes the retail
    editions are bloated and slow!

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 18, 2005
    Steve Thompson, Jun 18, 2005
  9. Steve Thompson <> wrote:

    > Pete Lynch wrote:
    >> I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows
    >> Professional x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64
    >> platform which I found out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus
    >> software. What antivirus options do I have?

    > WinAntiVirus 2005 is also an option. http://www.winantivirus.com/
    >
    > HTH,

    Hi Steve, thanks for the link

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 18, 2005
    Steve Thompson, Jun 18, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=

    Rick Guest

    It doesn't say anything about being compatible with x64.

    Rick, Jun 18, 2005
  12. Steve Thompson wrote:

    > WinAntiVirus 2005 is also an option. http://www.winantivirus.com/

    I don't see anything on that site that evens "hints" that the product
    might support WinXPx64. In fact, searches of its Knowledge base for
    such things as "system requirements," "x64," "64-bit," and "supported
    operating systems" all came up blank. Do you have a more specific link?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jun 18, 2005

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Steve Thompson wrote:
    >

    >> WinAntiVirus 2005 is also an option. http://www.winantivirus.com/
    >>

    > I don't see anything on that site that evens "hints" that the
    > product might support WinXPx64. In fact, searches of its Knowledge base
    > for such things as "system requirements," "x64," "64-bit," and
    > "supported operating systems" all came up blank. Do you have a more
    > specific link?

    <qoute>

    Hi,

    Thank you for contacting Software Customer Support.

    With reference to your email we wish to inform you that WinAntiVirus Pro
    2005 software is compatible with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

    etc...

    </qoute>

    It's been working fine for me and I havn't had any problems with it. I
    purchase the 2005 suite which includes firewall, pop-up blocker,
    antivirus and spyware blocker.

    The firewall and antivirus are the 2 main software packages that I was
    looking for that were compatible with XP x64.

    I originally saw the sidebar add on one of the x64 websites. I can't
    remember which one.

    The only disappointing thing that I found was that they don't have a
    trial download.

    HTH,

    - --
    Steve Thompson
    Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
    CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B
    Steve Thompson, Jun 18, 2005
  14. Thanks for that link Steve, I will post on my x64 Blog.
    --

    "Steve Thompson" <> wrote in message
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 18, 2005
  15. I was able to get McAfee version 8 to install on my computer. Haven't really
    tried using it yet. Just installed it last night and it installed which is a
    positive b/c I have 2 programs that I use that won't even install and I
    really need to use them. One is an email client and the other is a ssh
    client.

    =?Utf-8?B?QU1ERlg1NU93bmVy?=, Jun 24, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    AMDFD55Owner,

    You are better off uninstalling McAfee, and going with another anti-virus
    that will run on 64 bit OS. McAfee is by far the worst A/V out there on the
    market. The next is Norton.

    Do yourself a favor, and go with one that will really protect your PC.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 24, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=

    NNBXX Guest

    Agree. I suggest NOD32 version 2.5 or Avast.

    NNBXX, Jun 24, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    And NOD32 has a 64-bit beta version available to try.

    John Barnes, Jun 24, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=

    NNBXX Guest

    Yes, actually. BTW, I was refering to this version (2.5) in my post :)

    NNBXX, Jun 24, 2005
  20. Have you ever heard of a program called deep freeze? The company I work for
    uses that for virus and spyware protection, along with "preventable measures"
    so that employees using the computers can't change settings on them. I went
    from removing viruses and spyware everyday on these computers to nothing!
    AMAZING software. I doubt that they have a 64 bit version yet, but that is
    what I use on my 32 bit machine. http://www.faronics.com. Lemme know if you
    have feedback on this software.

    =?Utf-8?B?QU1ERlg1NU93bmVy?=, Jun 24, 2005