    Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
    there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?

    Steve
    Steve, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Steve

    Boomer Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in
    news:Wdxgc.155060$gA5.1841325@attbi_s03:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system.
    > Maybe I am dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system
    > resources. I am running Windows XP Home edition. Are there any
    > freeware anti-virus programs out there that are just as
    > good/reliable but don't hog system resources?
    >
    > Steve

    Hi

    Mike posts a message with good anti-virus programs listed. You might
    try looking for the post here or searching the Google usenet archives.

    Here's some good freeware sites.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html
    http://www.freewarehome.com/
    http://www.pricelessware.org/
    http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/index.html

    Or read through alt.comp.anti-virus

    --
    <sigh>
    Boomer, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Steve

    Pat Guest

    > Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I

    am
    > dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running
    > Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
    > there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?
    >
    > Steve

    go out and get AVG. It's free. http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Pat in TX

    Pat, Apr 18, 2004
  4. Steve

    Sultan Guest

    Steve wrote in news:Wdxgc.155060$gA5.1841325@attbi_s03:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system.
    > Maybe I am dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources.
    > I am running Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware
    > anti-virus programs out there that are just as good/reliable but don't
    > hog system resources?
    >
    > Steve

    Grisoft.com has one called AVG Free Antivirus - have personally used this
    now for two years and install on ALL client pc's. What is especially nice
    is you can set it to automatically check for and download updates.

    Sultan
    Sultan, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Steve

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I am
    >dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running
    >Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
    >there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?
    >
    >Steve

    Norton 2004 *is* a virus.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Steve

    Plato Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I am
    > dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running

    It's a feature of Nortons.

    > Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
    > there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?

    Yes.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Steve

    Plato Guest

    Ron Martell wrote:

    > Norton 2004 *is* a virus.

    Nah, one basic definition of a virus is that it can reproduce itself.
    Norton cant.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 19, 2004
  8. Steve

    d2004xx Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Steve" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I am
    > >dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running
    > >Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
    > >there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?
    > >
    > >Steve
    > >

    > Norton 2004 *is* a virus.

    and Norton 2003, too.
    d2004xx, Apr 20, 2004
  9. Steve

    toyalP2 Guest

    Try www.nod32.com, is not free but is the best, forget Norton and Co.
    And no, I don't have shares in nod32.com :) but I've been using it for years and
    never got a virus or worm, that's why I recommend it every chance I get. It
    updates itself in the background daily.
    Good luck!

    Toyalp2

    toyalP2, Apr 23, 2004