    Any recommendations?

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, May 31, 2007

  2. Ray Greene

    BTMO Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote

    > I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >
    > Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    > and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    > anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine
    > or
    > by the central machine.
    >
    > It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless
    > virus is detected.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    Avast.

    No idea how it works in a commercial setting, but it works a treat at home!

    :-D
    BTMO, May 31, 2007

  3. Ray Greene

    Sharktcwnwap Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message news:f3nf18$ql3$...
    > I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >
    > Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    > and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    > anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine
    > or
    > by the central machine.
    >
    > It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless
    > virus is detected.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    Trend Micro

    --
    Sharktcwnwap
    Sharktcwnwap, May 31, 2007
  4. Ray Greene

    Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:36:45 +1200, "BTMO" <> wrote:

    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote
    >

    >> I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >>
    >> Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    >> and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    >> anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine
    >> or
    >> by the central machine.
    >>
    >> It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless
    >> virus is detected.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?

    >Avast.
    >
    >No idea how it works in a commercial setting, but it works a treat at home!
    >
    >:-D

    Get a Real one Avast. gave me to many false plosives, as they say you get what you pay for

    Kaspersky is the best..
    , Jun 1, 2007
  5. Ray Greene

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:05:17 +1200, magnanimously
    proffered:

    >On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:36:45 +1200, "BTMO" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Ray Greene" <> wrote
    >>

    >>> I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >>>
    >>> Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    >>> and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    >>> anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine
    >>> or
    >>> by the central machine.
    >>>
    >>> It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless
    >>> virus is detected.
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations?

    >>Avast.
    >>
    >>No idea how it works in a commercial setting, but it works a treat at home!
    >>
    >>:-D
    >>

    >Get a Real one Avast. gave me to many false plosives, as they say you get what you pay for
    >
    >Kaspersky is the best..

    I agree. Been using KAV for around seven years now and I can recommend
    it without any reservations.
    Donchano, Jun 1, 2007
  6. Ray Greene

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:36:42 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    exclaimed:

    >I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >
    >Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    >and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    >anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    >by the central machine.
    >
    >It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    >virus is detected.
    >
    >Any recommendations?

    Hi, Ray

    Symantec Antivirus Corporate is the best option for a centrally
    managed antivirus solution in a corporate environment.

    Central admin and updates etc, very light, and VERY effective.
    Fred Dagg, Jun 1, 2007
  7. Ray Greene

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <f3nf18$ql3$>, says...
    > I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >
    > Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    > and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    > anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    > by the central machine.
    >
    > It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    > virus is detected.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    Sophos.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jun 1, 2007
  8. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:52:18 +1200, Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:36:42 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >>
    >>Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    >>and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    >>anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    >>by the central machine.
    >>
    >>It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    >>virus is detected.
    >>
    >>Any recommendations?

    >Hi, Ray
    >
    >Symantec Antivirus Corporate is the best option for a centrally
    >managed antivirus solution in a corporate environment.
    >
    >Central admin and updates etc, very light, and VERY effective.

    We used Symantec AV about 5 years ago on a number of PCs and it caused untold
    problems and performance was terrible. Have they improved in recent years?

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jun 1, 2007
  9. Ray Greene

    thingy Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:36:42 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >>
    >> Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    >> and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    >> anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    >> by the central machine.
    >>
    >> It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    >> virus is detected.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?

    > Hi, Ray
    >
    > Symantec Antivirus Corporate is the best option for a centrally
    > managed antivirus solution in a corporate environment.
    >
    > Central admin and updates etc, very light, and VERY effective.

    we have it for our desktop protection and it is problematical....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 1, 2007
  10. Ray Greene

    SteveM Guest

    Ray Greene <> wrote in news:f3nf18$ql3$:

    > I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >
    > Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles
    > updates and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are
    > detected anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the
    > local machine or by the central machine.
    >
    > It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening
    > unless a virus is detected.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    You'll probably get at least as many different opinions as there are number
    of AV products out there, however i'll suggest Nod32. Good centralised
    management, lightweight client and all notifications etc can be turned off
    if required.

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jun 1, 2007
  11. Ray Greene

    thingy Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >
    > Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    > and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    > anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    > by the central machine.
    >
    > It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    > virus is detected.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    Without knowing the size of your network.........5? PCs, 50? 500?

    Relying on one anti-virus application is IMHO a mistake, there are
    varying time windows to get the anti-virus signatures updated. Sometimes
    one vendor is quicker and sometimes another...so you need defense in depth.

    For our site we have three layers, the firewall is a Fortinet blackbox
    with anti-virus and that stops 8000+ a day. The second line is Sophos
    based on our MX hosts and that stops few, (mostly because the Fortinet
    does a good job). Finally we have Symantec for desktop protection, this
    pops up a few times a year (for me anyway). Even with the three layers
    we have had virus outbreaks however these have been contained each time
    to a few machines and were spotted quickly so there has been minimal
    spread and loss.........

    So, allowing for globalisation, I would suggest an European product for
    the gateways/servers and (say) a USA vendor for the desktop.....try and
    reduce your exposure for that window by having two vendors.....

    Another issue is that the virus writers are actually reported to be
    using anti-virus software to test their new malware. So a smaller
    anti-virus vendor might actually do noticeably better than a big
    American one.....

    At home I run clamav and that occasionally picks up a virus, usually it
    picks up phising attacks which I find useful.....since I am running
    Linux and OSX viruses are not really an issue....

    Which of course is another valid anti-virus strategy.....

    Another strategy is to use non-outlook email clients, this significantly
    reduces the risk yet again.....dont cost anything either.......

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 1, 2007
  12. Ray Greene

    Cima Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:05:17 +1200, wrote:

    >On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:36:45 +1200, "BTMO" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Ray Greene" <> wrote
    >>

    >>> I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >>>
    >>> Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    >>> and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    >>> anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine
    >>> or
    >>> by the central machine.
    >>>
    >>> It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless
    >>> virus is detected.
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations?

    >>Avast.
    >>
    >>No idea how it works in a commercial setting, but it works a treat at home!
    >>
    >>:-D
    >>

    >Get a Real one Avast. gave me to many false plosives, as they say you get what you pay for

    Those false plosives can be a real blast!
    Cima, Jun 1, 2007
  13. Ray Greene

    thingy Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:52:18 +1200, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:36:42 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >>>
    >>> Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    >>> and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    >>> anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    >>> by the central machine.
    >>>
    >>> It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    >>> virus is detected.
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations?

    >> Hi, Ray
    >>
    >> Symantec Antivirus Corporate is the best option for a centrally
    >> managed antivirus solution in a corporate environment.
    >>
    >> Central admin and updates etc, very light, and VERY effective.

    > We used Symantec AV about 5 years ago on a number of PCs and it caused untold
    > problems and performance was terrible. Have they improved in recent years?

    No

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 1, 2007
  14. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 01:58:01 +0000 (UTC), SteveM <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene <> wrote in news:f3nf18$ql3$:
    >
    >> I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >>
    >> Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles
    >> updates and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are
    >> detected anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the
    >> local machine or by the central machine.
    >>
    >> It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening
    >> unless a virus is detected.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?
    >>

    >You'll probably get at least as many different opinions as there are number
    >of AV products out there, however i'll suggest Nod32. Good centralised
    >management, lightweight client and all notifications etc can be turned off
    >if required.

    Yes, I'm going to have a lot of trialling to do if I follow everyones
    suggestions. I'll give Nod32 a try though, it sounds like it has what I want.

    --
    Ray greene
    Ray Greene, Jun 1, 2007
  15. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:58:33 +1200, thingy <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >>
    >> Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    >> and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    >> anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    >> by the central machine.
    >>
    >> It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    >> virus is detected.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?
    >>

    >Without knowing the size of your network.........5? PCs, 50? 500?
    >
    >Relying on one anti-virus application is IMHO a mistake, there are
    >varying time windows to get the anti-virus signatures updated. Sometimes
    >one vendor is quicker and sometimes another...so you need defense in depth.
    >
    >For our site we have three layers, the firewall is a Fortinet blackbox
    >with anti-virus and that stops 8000+ a day. The second line is Sophos
    >based on our MX hosts and that stops few, (mostly because the Fortinet
    >does a good job). Finally we have Symantec for desktop protection, this
    >pops up a few times a year (for me anyway). Even with the three layers
    >we have had virus outbreaks however these have been contained each time
    >to a few machines and were spotted quickly so there has been minimal
    >spread and loss.........
    >
    >So, allowing for globalisation, I would suggest an European product for
    >the gateways/servers and (say) a USA vendor for the desktop.....try and
    >reduce your exposure for that window by having two vendors.....
    >
    >Another issue is that the virus writers are actually reported to be
    >using anti-virus software to test their new malware. So a smaller
    >anti-virus vendor might actually do noticeably better than a big
    >American one.....
    >
    >At home I run clamav and that occasionally picks up a virus, usually it
    >picks up phising attacks which I find useful.....since I am running
    >Linux and OSX viruses are not really an issue....
    >
    >Which of course is another valid anti-virus strategy.....
    >
    >Another strategy is to use non-outlook email clients, this significantly
    >reduces the risk yet again.....dont cost anything either.......

    The network is fairly small, currently around 20 machines though it will grow
    over time. It is also fairly secure and the only thing with access to the
    internet should be the antivirus updater. Our main concern is people coming
    in with USB sticks etc with viruses on them. They need that level of access
    and they are usually very security conscious but you never know.

    It's a good point about having layers of protection though. I will look into
    that.

    I quite like F-Prot myself but it's not suitable for this situation.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jun 1, 2007
  16. Ray Greene

    BTMO Guest

    <> wrote

    > Get a Real one Avast. gave me to many false plosives, as they say you get
    > what you pay for

    Works fine here, and significantly better than the one I was paying licence
    fees for.

    Thanks for the advice, but I am very pleased with what I have.
    BTMO, Jun 1, 2007
  17. In article <f3nf18$ql3$>, says...
    > I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >
    > Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    > and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    > anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    > by the central machine.
    >
    > It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    > virus is detected.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    You just described the top-of-the-line AVG version.

    h.t.h., -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 1, 2007
  18. In article <f3ntev$2cc$>, says...

    > We used Symantec AV about 5 years ago on a number of PCs and it caused untold
    > problems and performance was terrible. Have they improved in recent years?

    No, they've gotten a whole lot worse, i.m.o. bloat, bloat, bloat. Hell of a lot
    more concerned with making sure you pay your next subscription than with
    keeping your computer running trouble free. At least the retail version.
    I used to work with it a lot, but the last 3 years I've been taking it off
    customers' computers, rather than putting it on.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 1, 2007
  19. On Jun 1, 9:36 am, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for an antivirus for an industrial network.
    >
    > Ideally it would have a central administration point which handles updates
    > and receives scan reports, and gets a warning if viruses are detected
    > anywhere on the network. Ths scanning could be done on the local machine or
    > by the central machine.
    >
    > It's also important that users never get popups or screens opening unless a
    > virus is detected.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > --
    > Ray Greene

    Not Nortons, bloated, unstable piece of crap.

    Have Avast on my own machine and have put it on about a dozen others
    for various people. Often to replace munged/ defective Nortons
    installs that were causing people's machines to run like treacle

    Have also heard good things about NOD 32 and others mentioned here,
    but would reccomend Avast for what its worth. It does have a popup
    when it updates though which I know you dont want

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    Peter Jenkins, Jun 1, 2007
  20. Ray Greene

    BTMO Guest

    "Peter Jenkins" <> wrote

    > Have Avast on my own machine and have put it on about a dozen others
    > for various people. Often to replace munged/ defective Nortons
    > installs that were causing people's machines to run like treacle

    Oh no!

    Don't suggest that!!

    Woger says (checks wording) "Avast. gave me to many false plosives, as they
    say you get what you pay for"

    And we all know that what Wodger says is right...
    BTMO, Jun 1, 2007