antivirus opinions please

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Terry, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
    to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
    if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
    in March.

    The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
    Anti-Spyware (below).
    eTrustT EZ ArmorT helps prevent viruses and hackers from even thinking about
    attacking your computer. CA's new standard in Internet Security for Home
    PC's, combines award-winning eTrustT EZ AntivirusT with industrial strength
    eTrustT EZ FirewallT. This robust combination provides automatic virus
    updates, ID Lock to lock down personal information, EZ to use Low, Medium
    and High firewall security settings for the novice user, Program Control to
    stop unauthorized programs from stealing your personal data, and Ad blocking
    and Cookie control features for a more enjoyable Internet experience.
    eTrustT Anti-Spam is the most effective and easy-to-use spam filter that
    makes sure you get messages from the people you know while redirecting
    messages from people you don't. No rules to create and manage: eTrustT
    Anti-Spam does it for you. And it works seamlessly with Microsoft OutlookT
    and Outlook ExpressT to block virtually all unwanted spam, allowing you to
    gain control of your inbox.
    eTrustT PestPatrol® Anti-Spyware detects and removes a wide variety of
    spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft and
    diminished system performance. Spyware, adware and other non-viral threats
    are rapidly spreading, and representing a major security and privacy risk.
    eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware reduces this risk and provides an added layer
    of protection for safe internet connectivity.

    Terry, Dec 6, 2006

  2. Terry

    Barney Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
    > to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
    > if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
    > in March.
    >
    > The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
    > Anti-Spyware (below).
    > eTrustT EZ ArmorT helps prevent viruses and hackers from even thinking about
    > attacking your computer. CA's new standard in Internet Security for Home
    > PC's, combines award-winning eTrustT EZ AntivirusT with industrial strength
    > eTrustT EZ FirewallT. This robust combination provides automatic virus
    > updates, ID Lock to lock down personal information, EZ to use Low, Medium
    > and High firewall security settings for the novice user, Program Control to
    > stop unauthorized programs from stealing your personal data, and Ad blocking
    > and Cookie control features for a more enjoyable Internet experience.
    > eTrustT Anti-Spam is the most effective and easy-to-use spam filter that
    > makes sure you get messages from the people you know while redirecting
    > messages from people you don't. No rules to create and manage: eTrustT
    > Anti-Spam does it for you. And it works seamlessly with Microsoft OutlookT
    > and Outlook ExpressT to block virtually all unwanted spam, allowing you to
    > gain control of your inbox.
    > eTrustT PestPatrol® Anti-Spyware detects and removes a wide variety of
    > spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft and
    > diminished system performance. Spyware, adware and other non-viral threats
    > are rapidly spreading, and representing a major security and privacy risk.
    > eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware reduces this risk and provides an added layer
    > of protection for safe internet connectivity.

    I like Spy sweeper and Fprot myself. Norton sux uses too
    many resources IMHO

    Barney, Dec 6, 2006

  3. Barney wrote:
    > Terry wrote:
    >> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software.
    >> I'd like to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular
    >> programs, and if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when
    >> it is due to expire in March.
    >>
    >> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest
    >> Control Anti-Spyware (below).
    >> eTrustT EZ ArmorT helps prevent viruses and hackers from even thinking
    >> about attacking your computer. CA's new standard in Internet Security
    >> for Home PC's, combines award-winning eTrustT EZ AntivirusT with
    >> industrial strength eTrustT EZ FirewallT. This robust combination
    >> provides automatic virus updates, ID Lock to lock down personal
    >> information, EZ to use Low, Medium and High firewall security settings
    >> for the novice user, Program Control to stop unauthorized programs
    >> from stealing your personal data, and Ad blocking and Cookie control
    >> features for a more enjoyable Internet experience.
    >> ---------------------------------------------------- eTrustT Anti-Spam
    >> is the most effective and easy-to-use spam filter that makes sure you
    >> get messages from the people you know while redirecting messages from
    >> people you don't. No rules to create and manage: eTrustT Anti-Spam
    >> does it for you. And it works seamlessly with Microsoft OutlookT and
    >> Outlook ExpressT to block virtually all unwanted spam, allowing you to
    >> gain control of your inbox.
    >> eTrustT PestPatrol® Anti-Spyware detects and removes a wide variety of
    >> spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft
    >> and diminished system performance. Spyware, adware and other non-viral
    >> threats are rapidly spreading, and representing a major security and
    >> privacy risk. eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware reduces this risk and
    >> provides an added layer of protection for safe internet connectivity.
    >>

    > I like Spy sweeper and Fprot myself. Norton sux uses too many resources
    > IMHO

    AVG is my pick for anti-virus.

    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28415/lng/us/tpl/v5

    AdAware is my pick for anti-spyware.

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    I've used both these products for three years with no complaints at all.

    I don;t have any recommendations for anti-spam software, I rely on my
    ISP's spam filters and those I set up in my email client.

    Julian Treadwell, Dec 7, 2006
  4. Terry

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Julian Treadwell" <> wrote in message
    > Barney wrote:
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software.
    >>> I'd like to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these
    >>> particular programs, and if I can safely use them instead of Norton
    >>> Antvirus when it is due to expire in March.
    >>>
    >>> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest
    >>> Control Anti-Spyware (below).
    >>>

    >> I like Spy sweeper and Fprot myself. Norton sux uses too many
    >> resources IMHO

    > AVG is my pick for anti-virus.
    >
    > http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28415/lng/us/tpl/v5
    >
    > AdAware is my pick for anti-spyware.
    >
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >
    > I've used both these products for three years with no complaints at
    > all.
    >
    > I don;t have any recommendations for anti-spam software, I rely on my
    > ISP's spam filters and those I set up in my email client.

    I must say that I've been scrubbing someone else's pc to donate and
    after running Ad-aware I checked the registry and still saw lots of
    references to the previous owner ( where the kids had registered online
    for kazza-like stuff and 'free screensavers' ). After Ad-aware, the info
    was still there. I then ran Spybots and it got them. So I always run
    both of them for scrubbing a PC.

    - Bobb -, Dec 7, 2006
  5. Terry

    Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
    > to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
    > if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
    > in March.
    >
    > The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
    > Anti-Spyware (below).

    you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
    audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
    marketting talk, and for eTrust.

    If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
    knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
    internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
    choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
    anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
    including it
    <snip>

    , Dec 7, 2006
  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Terry wrote:
    >> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd
    >> like
    >> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs,
    >> and
    >> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to
    >> expire
    >> in March.
    >>
    >> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
    >> Anti-Spyware (below).

    > you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
    > audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
    > marketting talk, and for eTrust.
    >
    > If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
    > knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
    > internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
    > choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
    > anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
    > including it
    > <snip>

    What?

    Terry, Dec 7, 2006
  7. Terry

    Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Terry wrote:
    > >> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd
    > >> like
    > >> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs,
    > >> and
    > >> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to
    > >> expire
    > >> in March.
    > >>
    > >> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
    > >> Anti-Spyware (below).

    > > you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
    > > audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
    > > marketting talk, and for eTrust.
    > >
    > > If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
    > > knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
    > > internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
    > > choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
    > > anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
    > > including it
    > > <snip>

    > What?

    if you cannot explain what of what I wrote, that you don't understand ,
    or why you don't udnerstand it, then there isn't much I can do to help
    you to understand it.

    , Dec 7, 2006
  8. Terry

    Terry Guest

    If you have no opinion or knowledge of the specific programs I was inquiring
    about, maybe you shouldn't have responded at all.

    Terry, Dec 7, 2006
  9. Terry

    Terry Guest

    I'm worried that a free program wouldn't provide as good virus protection.
    I've also heard that Norton, which I have always used, is the largest
    resource hog, and I'd like to free up resources. Can someone site a
    resource to read reviews on these free anti-virus programs? Do you feel
    the free ones provide as good of protection?

    Terry, Dec 7, 2006
  10. Terry

    Terry Guest

    <>
    >wrote you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
    >audience.

    For instance, I don't know what you mean by this... besides insulting me.

    Terry, Dec 7, 2006
  11. wrote:
    > Terry wrote:
    >> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
    >> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
    >> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
    >> in March.
    >>
    >> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
    >> Anti-Spyware (below).

    > you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
    > audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
    > marketting talk, and for eTrust.
    >
    > If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
    > knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
    > internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
    > choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
    > anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
    > including it
    > <snip>

    I think he was quoting the blurb his ISP sent him about these products,
    not opinions of his own. You've misread his post I think.

    Julian Treadwell, Dec 8, 2006
  12. Terry

    Guest

    Julian Treadwell wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Terry wrote:
    > >> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
    > >> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
    > >> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
    > >> in March.
    > >>
    > >> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
    > >> Anti-Spyware (below).

    > > you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
    > > audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
    > > marketting talk, and for eTrust.
    > >
    > > If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
    > > knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
    > > internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
    > > choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
    > > anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
    > > including it
    > > <snip>
    > >

    > I think he was quoting the blurb his ISP sent him about these products,
    > not opinions of his own.

    yes he was. And it was marketting speak. And he shouldn't have included
    it.

    , Dec 8, 2006
  13. Terry

    ChristyLynn Guest

    Get over it. And yet, you still are not being helpful.

    ChristyLynn, Dec 8, 2006
  14. Terry

    Patrick Guest

    I use McAfee through Comcast for firewall and virus scanner. They are really
    heavy on resources but i have no problem, my pc can handle it. I use Spybot
    S&S for spyware. All three are great...saved me a lot of work many times. If
    you go with the software provided by your ISP, and you runn XP, i would
    suggest a minimum 1gb ram.

    Patrick

    Patrick, Dec 8, 2006
  15. Terry

    jtees4 Guest

    I prefer and use AVG. I have also used AnitVir and Avast. I have
    always run into problems with Avast (computer crashes) but most people
    don't seem to have these problems.

    jtees4, Dec 9, 2006
  16. Terry

    dogbreath Guest

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 02:47:47 GMT, "Terry" <>
    wrote:

    >My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
    >to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
    >if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
    >in March.

    I don't know why this thread generated so much flame, because it's a
    reasonable question and deserves a reasonable response. I concur with
    others who suggest AVG. AVG is available from www.grisoft.com. The
    link to AVG Free is way at the bottom of the page. They offer pay-for
    versions as well, if you prefer.

    There was some feeling the free version might not be as effective as
    the pay-for software. I think they're all equally effective. The
    difference is in Marketing. The free-ware is simple and stays simple.
    The pay-for software keeps growing and growing and growing, and every
    version is "longer, lower, wider" than last year's model, with
    enhanced functionality, improved handling, and smoother sailing, and
    that's how they suck up resources. And sell stuff.

    I hear next year's McAfee is going to feature a link to your bathroom,
    to monitor your personal habits. And it will offer a deluxe version
    with GL-70. But it requires Vista, and 128GB of RAM.

    I'm not financially challenged, and would buy the pay-for version in
    an instant, if they would give me a guarantee of continued simplicity.
    Until then I believe I'll stick with the free-ware.

    dogbreath, Dec 10, 2006