    will work with Win 95.
    Are there any?

    Thanks.
    Sandy, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Sandy

    philo Guest

    "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Have one family computer with internet access and still using Win 95 and
    > no reason to upgrade except do not know of an antivirus program that
    > will work with Win 95.
    > Are there any?
    >
    > Thanks.

    AVG should work ok

    www.grisoft.com it's free!
    philo, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Sandy

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:10:23 -0500, Sandy <>
    wrote:

    >Have one family computer with internet access and still using Win 95 and
    >no reason to upgrade except do not know of an antivirus program that
    >will work with Win 95.
    >Are there any?

    I was going to suggest F-Prot, but their website now lists Win98 as a
    minimum requirement. You never know, it might work on 95. Sophos
    still supports Win95. http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/ and has
    minimal system requirements (8 MB RAM, 10 MB disk space), which your
    computer hopefully meets.

    There are other reasons to upgrade (e.g. it would be nice to be
    running an OS which is still supported by its developer...) but if
    you're aware of the potential problems and happy to continue, go nuts.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Sandy

    °Mike° Guest

    eTrust Antivirus

    Sophos Antivirus
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    You should also consider F-Prot for DOS (free)
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/download_fpdos.html

    Get Art Kopp's F-Prot updater from here:
    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:10:23 -0500, in
    <>
    Sandy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Thanks to Philo, Dan, and Mike for the replies repeated below. I double
    checked the suggestions and learned that Grisoft should work, F-Prot is
    only supported with upgrades through Dec 2004, and Sophos and e-Trust
    will work with Win 95.

    The F-Prot for Dos should work also, but Art Kopp's site talking about
    such things as using Russian programs scared me off.

    With those several choices of anti-virus still available for Win 95 are
    any of these programs considered the best of the lot?

    And as Dan suggested, I agree it would be nice to upgrade the computer.
    It is the computer Grandma uses for her letters, recipes, surfing and
    e-mail and I am afraid of wrecking it if we try to upgrade it. It is a
    Dell 266/32mb and the Dell site and support has been very contradictory
    in its answers on how to upgrade it, drivers, etc. Now that it is an
    antique, we will let it live out its days. It performs everything in
    Microsoft Office flawlessly, so like an old car, it gets you there, just
    maybe not as fast.

    Thanks to all for the help.

    Sandy

    Sandy wrote:

    > Have one family computer with internet access and still using Win 95 and
    > no reason to upgrade except do not know of an antivirus program that
    > will work with Win 95.
    > Are there any?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Philo wrote:
    AVG should work ok

    www.grisoft.com it's free!

    AND DAN SHEA wrote:

    I was going to suggest F-Prot, but their website now lists Win98 as a
    minimum requirement. You never know, it might work on 95. Sophos
    still supports Win95. http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/ and has
    minimal system requirements (8 MB RAM, 10 MB disk space), which your
    computer hopefully meets.

    There are other reasons to upgrade (e.g. it would be nice to be
    running an OS which is still supported by its developer...) but if
    you're aware of the potential problems and happy to continue, go nuts.

    AND MIKE wrote:

    eTrust Antivirus

    Sophos Antivirus

    Sandy, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Sandy

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:22:48 -0500, Sandy <"not really"@nothere.net>
    wrote:

    >Thanks to Philo, Dan, and Mike for the replies repeated below. I double
    >checked the suggestions and learned that Grisoft should work, F-Prot is
    >only supported with upgrades through Dec 2004, and Sophos and e-Trust
    >will work with Win 95.
    >
    >The F-Prot for Dos should work also, but Art Kopp's site talking about
    >such things as using Russian programs scared me off.
    >
    >With those several choices of anti-virus still available for Win 95 are
    >any of these programs considered the best of the lot?

    Not as far as I know. They're all good. I would suggest you probably
    want something that will run as a Windows program to catch any viruses
    as they come in -- in other words, not F-PROT for DOS. It's a great
    virus scanner, but doesn't do auto-protect. (FWIW, the mentions of
    Russia on that page have nothing to do with F-PROT, which is actually
    in Iceland (or at least that's where the charge on my VISA bill showed
    up as...) and should not be construed as a reason for not using
    F-PROT.)

    I would *not* recommend AVG, but that's my personal preference. I've
    had some bad experiences with it. Other people swear by it. YMMV.

    Thatt leaves Sophos and eTrust. Either would be fine.

    >And as Dan suggested, I agree it would be nice to upgrade the computer.
    >It is the computer Grandma uses for her letters, recipes, surfing and
    >e-mail and I am afraid of wrecking it if we try to upgrade it. It is a
    >Dell 266/32mb and the Dell site and support has been very contradictory
    >in its answers on how to upgrade it, drivers, etc. Now that it is an
    >antique, we will let it live out its days. It performs everything in
    >Microsoft Office flawlessly, so like an old car, it gets you there, just
    >maybe not as fast.

    More power to it and you! They're not obsolete 'til they can't do
    what you want 'em to do.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Sandy

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:22:48 -0500, in
    <>
    Sandy scrawled:

    >Thanks to Philo, Dan, and Mike for the replies repeated below. I double
    >checked the suggestions and learned that Grisoft should work, F-Prot is
    >only supported with upgrades through Dec 2004, and Sophos and e-Trust
    >will work with Win 95.
    >
    >The F-Prot for Dos should work also, but Art Kopp's site talking about
    >such things as using Russian programs scared me off.

    Art's site is crappy and confusing, but don't let that worry you.
    His F-Prot updater is very good. Here's what you need:
    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/f-pup.exe

    >With those several choices of anti-virus still available for Win 95 are
    >any of these programs considered the best of the lot?

    eTrust Antivirus is the absolute choice for Windows 95, because
    of it's very small footprint, along with it's efficacy. Once you
    have your serial number, you can download the smaller
    version 6.1.7 (approx. 3 MB as opposed to 7MB).
    ftp://ftp.ca.com/pub/myeTrust/apps/EZAntivirus.exe

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Sandy <"not really"@nothere.net> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Thanks to Philo, Dan, and Mike for the replies repeated below. I double
    > checked the suggestions and learned that Grisoft should work, F-Prot is
    > only supported with upgrades through Dec 2004,

    Windows '95 is "officially" considered obsolete by Microsoft, and is
    not really supported by them any more. There is, however, still a
    small percentage of (paying) F-PROT customers that run Win '95, and we
    will support them for a while.

    However, when the Windows F-PROT 4.0 is released, it simply will not
    work on Win '95 - it is just not possible (The DOS and command-line
    versions will work, however). We will, however, continue to support
    3.x for a while, by releasing updated .DEF files, for one year after
    we stop selling 3.x - that is, as long as the licenses for 3.x are
    valid - beyond that we will not support 3.x.

    We are not alone - other software producers, both in the anti-virus
    industry and elsewhere) are withdrawing support for '95, although
    many may "unofficially" support it if it is not too much effort.

    -frisk
    Fridrik Skulason, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Thanks for follow-up comments and suggestions from Mike, Dan Shea and
    Fridrik Skulason (see excerpts below).

    I appreciate Fridrik's input about the lessening support that users of
    Win95 must expect form all sources, and that is something we just live
    with also on my Win98se computer. As a result, we will try eTrust for
    this Win 95 need and also follow Mike's suggestion to use the smaller
    edition.

    No offense meant earlier to Art Kopp or F-Prot by my comment.."The
    F-Prot for Dos should work also, but Art Kopp's site talking about such
    things as using Russian programs scared me off. " Without knowing just
    who Art Kopp is, the offer on his site to download a "Trojan Tracker"
    from Russia gave me pause. Everything I have found about F-prot was
    positive. I assume Art Kopp and F-Prot are separate entities. And I
    liked some of the suggestions Art makes on his site.

    Sandy

    Sandy wrote:
    > snip
    >With those several choices of anti-virus still available for Win 95 are
    >any of these programs considered the best of the lot?

    Mike responded:

    snip...eTrust Antivirus is the absolute choice for Windows 95, because
    of it's very small footprint, along with it's efficacy. Once you
    have your serial number, you can download the smaller
    version 6.1.7 (approx. 3 MB as opposed to 7MB).
    ftp://ftp.ca.com/pub/myeTrust/apps/EZAntivirus.exe..snip

    Dan Shea advised:

    snip...Not as far as I know. They're all good. I would suggest you
    probably
    want something that will run as a Windows program to catch any viruses
    as they come in -- in other words, not F-PROT for DOS. It's a great
    virus scanner, but doesn't do auto-protect..snip.....I would *not*
    recommend AVG, but that's my personal preference. I've
    had some bad experiences with it. Other people swear by it. YMMV.

    Thatt leaves Sophos and eTrust. Either would be fine. .snip

    Fridrik Skulison advised:

    Sandy, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Sandy

    Dan Shea Guest

    I'm just in awe that Fridrik posted here. F-PROT is legendary, or at
    least it should be. The DOS version still kicks ass, and I have
    several corporate clients on F-PROT for Windows. "Where's my Norton?
    What's this?" they ask. "Don't worry, it's big in Europe," I tell
    them.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 27, 2004