Antivirus choice: F-Secure's rootkit scanning vs Trend Micro

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mizter T, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. Mizter T

    Mizter T Guest

    *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*

    Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.

    I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite, i.e. an AntiVirus
    program packaged along with other security utilities.

    I've two in mind, F-Secure Internet Security 2006 and Trend Micro
    PC-cillin Internet Security 2006. I've had a look at CNET's reviews of
    both...

    CNET review of F-Secure Internet Security 2006
    http://reviews.cnet.com/F_Secure_Internet_Security_2006/4505-3667_7-31517980.html

    CNET review of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Trend_Micro_PC_cillin_Internet_Security_2006/4505-3667_7-31604253.html

    CNET gives F-Secure's effort 7.3 out of 10, and Trend Micro's 7.8.

    However in my mind a big attraction of F-Secure's package is the
    inclusion of their new 'Blacklight' rootkit scanning technology [1],
    which only gets a brief mention in the CNET review. Whilst I understand
    that malign rootkits are rare (i.e. trojan rootkits), I've read that
    there usage is on the increase, plus by their very nature they're hard
    to detect. This swings me towards F-Secure.

    The downside of F-Secure's package is it's insistence on uninstalling
    potentially conflicting applications...

    A quick excerpt from the CNET review "...it made us uninstall
    potentially conflicting applications, including Spybot Search and
    Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-aware (which F-Secure's antispyware technology is
    based on), and Yahoo Toolbar, which also has antispy features... we
    question the wisdom here, since running more than one antispyware app
    is often necessary to thoroughly protect your system."

    Like the reviewer I also question the wisdom of this, which swings me
    towards Trend Micro.

    If anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'd be most grateful to hear
    them.

    [1] F-Secure info on Blacklight rootskit scanning
    http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

    Mizter T, Apr 7, 2006

  2. X-No-Archive: YES
    Mizter T [] has entered into testimony

    > *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
    >
    > Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.
    >
    > I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite, i.e. an AntiVirus
    > program packaged along with other security utilities.
    >
    > I've two in mind, F-Secure Internet Security 2006 and Trend Micro
    > PC-cillin Internet Security 2006. I've had a look at CNET's reviews of
    > both...
    >
    > CNET review of F-Secure Internet Security 2006

    http://reviews.cnet.com/F_Secure_Internet_Security_2006/4505-3667_7-31517980.html

    > CNET review of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006

    http://reviews.cnet.com/Trend_Micro_PC_cillin_Internet_Security_2006/4505-3667_7-31604253.html

    > CNET gives F-Secure's effort 7.3 out of 10, and Trend Micro's 7.8.
    >
    > However in my mind a big attraction of F-Secure's package is the
    > inclusion of their new 'Blacklight' rootkit scanning technology [1],
    > which only gets a brief mention in the CNET review. Whilst I
    > understand that malign rootkits are rare (i.e. trojan rootkits), I've
    > read that there usage is on the increase, plus by their very nature
    > they're hard to detect. This swings me towards F-Secure.
    >
    > The downside of F-Secure's package is it's insistence on uninstalling
    > potentially conflicting applications...
    >
    > A quick excerpt from the CNET review "...it made us uninstall
    > potentially conflicting applications, including Spybot Search and
    > Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-aware (which F-Secure's antispyware technology is
    > based on), and Yahoo Toolbar, which also has antispy features... we
    > question the wisdom here, since running more than one antispyware app
    > is often necessary to thoroughly protect your system."
    >
    > Like the reviewer I also question the wisdom of this, which swings me
    > towards Trend Micro.
    >
    > If anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'd be most grateful to hear
    > them.
    >

    > [1] F-Secure info on Blacklight rootskit scanning
    > http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

    **** any application that requires you remove anything you have
    intentionally installed on your computer... although I despise third
    party toolbars and have never cared for Ad-aware, it was your choice to
    install them and another company shouldn't try to control your
    intentional installation.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 7, 2006

  3. In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mizter T wrote:

    > *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
    >
    > Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.
    >
    > I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite,

    Stay away from "suites."

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Mizter T

    ellis_jay Guest

    Mizter T wrote:
    > *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
    >
    > Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.

    Go with Trend Micro.

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Apr 7, 2006
  5. Mizter T

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before Beauregard T. Shagnasty decided to brighten
    up my day by saying:

    > In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mizter T wrote:
    >
    > > *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
    > >
    > > Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.
    > >
    > > I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite,

    > Stay away from "suites."

    They are bad for your teeth.
    --
    slumpy
    tradelist and images - http://tinyurl.com/devgk

    slumpy, Apr 7, 2006
  6. Mizter T

    Plato Guest

    Mizter T wrote:

    > *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
    >
    > Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.
    >
    > I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite, i.e. an AntiVirus
    > program packaged along with other security utilities.

    Suites are NOT recommended.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 7, 2006
  7. Mizter T

    Mizter T Guest

    Chadwick Stone© wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > **** any application that requires you remove anything you have
    > intentionally installed on your computer... although I despise third
    > party toolbars and have never cared for Ad-aware, it was your choice to
    > install them and another company shouldn't try to control your
    > intentional installation.

    A no nonsense answer, thanks! I'll almost certainly follow your advice
    and avoid F-Secure. As I said, what attracted me was F-Secure's
    supposed rootkit scanning capabilities, but given F-Secure's demands on
    exclusivity I'll get my security elsewhere.

    Am interested in your distaste for Ad-Aware. I use both the
    aforementioned program and also Spyboy Search & Destroy. Any
    alternative recommendations?

    Mizter T, Apr 8, 2006
  8. Mizter T

    Mizter T Guest

    slumpy wrote:
    > To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    > people, I typed this just before Beauregard T. Shagnasty decided to brighten
    > up my day by saying:
    >
    > > In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mizter T wrote:
    > > > I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite,

    > > Stay away from "suites."

    > They are bad for your teeth.

    I've never used a 'security suite' before and the only reason I looked
    the idea at is that I'll be installing whatever security application(s)
    I ultimately choose on a number of family PCs, and thought a suite
    might be less hassle in terms of monitoring and keeping up-to-date, as
    my other family members are not so 'tech savvy'.

    Anyway from comments here and elsewhere I'm more cautious about the
    security suite idea.

    Mizter T, Apr 8, 2006
  9. Mizter T

    Mizter T Guest

    ellis_jay wrote:
    > Mizter T wrote:
    > > *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
    > >
    > > Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.

    > Go with Trend Micro.

    I've also subsequently had NOD32 antivirus very highly recommended [1],
    and Kapersky antivirus also highly recommended. The upcoming version 6
    of Kapersky is supposed to have rootkit scanning capabilities but it
    isn't released yet and I'm keen to get this all sorted out ASAP.

    Anyone any thoughts on either of these apps?

    [1] http://www.nod32.com/

    Mizter T, Apr 8, 2006
  10. Mizter T wrote:

    >>> Stay away from "suites."

    > I've never used a 'security suite' before and the only reason I looked
    > the idea at is that I'll be installing whatever security
    > application(s) I ultimately choose on a number of family PCs, and
    > thought a suite might be less hassle in terms of monitoring and
    > keeping up-to-date, as my other family members are not so 'tech
    > savvy'.

    If you use the 'pay-for' suites, you may be required to purchase a
    license for each of those PCs. If you use any of the free-for-home-use
    apps that require a free registration, you should be able to register
    each by using the email id of the primary person of each PC.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 8, 2006
  11. Mizter T

    ellis_jay Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On 8 Apr 2006 07:41:45 -0700, "Mizter T" <> wrote:
    >
    >> ellis_jay wrote:

    >>> Go with Trend Micro.

    >> I've also subsequently had NOD32 antivirus very highly recommended
    >> [1], and Kapersky antivirus also highly recommended. The upcoming
    >> version 6 of Kapersky is supposed to have rootkit scanning
    >> capabilities but it isn't released yet and I'm keen to get this all
    >> sorted out ASAP.
    >>
    >> Anyone any thoughts on either of these apps?
    >>

    >> [1] http://www.nod32.com/

    > I wouldn't have a problem running Kapersky's suite - we run their AV
    > at work. For now, if it's rootkits you're worried about, run this:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

    I use this tool as well as blacklight

    ellis_jay, Apr 8, 2006