Antivirus/Antspywarei

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kerry C, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. Kerry C

    Kerry C Guest

    Hope this is the right ng for this query. Apologies if it's not.
    Looking for help with the following -
    Had a nasty on the machine recently, evidenced by it slowing down. Running
    AVG, AdAware SE Personal, Spybot and RogueRemover didn't show up anything so
    d/lded 15 day trial version of the full Zone Alarm Security Suite - had
    taken the freeby version off a while back because of an apparent conflict
    and relied only on the default SP firewall.
    Anyway ZA sorted out a couple of nasties - great! But I also d/lded free
    versions of XoftSpySE and NoAdware. Results of scans are:
    -- Xoft reports 310 instances of a thing called Agent Trojan, 10 of
    Bitgrabber, 1 of CWS.Homepage and 2 of Qhost Trojan. Info given is Type -
    Host File Item and Object - the url of each is given (all 310
    instances of Agent Trojan have different urls).
    -- NoAdware reports 3 instances of a thing called
    Hijacker.InternetExplorerZoneHijack.

    After trying a few other things, I'm beginning to suspect that the reports
    from these two progs may be false positives. Anyone had any experience with
    these progs - XoftSpySE and NoAdware? Comments gratefully received.

    TIA,
    KerryC
    Kerry C, Jul 22, 2007

  2. Kerry C

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:33:13 +1200, Kerry C wrote:

    > Hope this is the right ng for this query. Apologies if it's not.
    > Looking for help with the following -
    > Had a nasty on the machine recently, evidenced by it slowing down. Running
    > AVG, AdAware SE Personal, Spybot and RogueRemover didn't show up anything so
    > d/lded 15 day trial version of the full Zone Alarm Security Suite - had
    > taken the freeby version off a while back because of an apparent conflict
    > and relied only on the default SP firewall.
    > Anyway ZA sorted out a couple of nasties - great! But I also d/lded free
    > versions of XoftSpySE and NoAdware. Results of scans are:
    > -- Xoft reports 310 instances of a thing called Agent Trojan, 10 of
    > Bitgrabber, 1 of CWS.Homepage and 2 of Qhost Trojan. Info given is Type -
    > Host File Item and Object - the url of each is given (all 310
    > instances of Agent Trojan have different urls).
    > -- NoAdware reports 3 instances of a thing called
    > Hijacker.InternetExplorerZoneHijack.
    >
    > After trying a few other things, I'm beginning to suspect that the reports
    > from these two progs may be false positives. Anyone had any experience with
    > these progs - XoftSpySE and NoAdware? Comments gratefully received.
    >
    > TIA,
    > KerryC

    Xoftspy is a well-known piece of con-ware. You have been conned. it does
    nothing useful except make money for the conman behind it.

    Google it. As you should have in the first place.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #261501 +(5732)- [X]

    <jeebus> the "bishop" came to our church today
    <jeebus> he was a fucken impostor
    <jeebus> never once moved diagonally

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/07/2007 2:46:30 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jul 24, 2007