    the market, so can you pleases suggest me good Antivirus and Firewall
    software for home use form your personal opinion.

    I have two computers and they are connected each other with the router.
    B S, Jan 17, 2005

  2. B S

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "B S" <> wrote in message
    news:dHGGd.8959$...
    | There are lots of different antivirus and Firewall softwares available in
    | the market, so can you pleases suggest me good Antivirus and Firewall
    | software for home use form your personal opinion.
    |
    | I have two computers and they are connected each other with the router.

    Does your router have NAT? Then don't worry much about a firewall. The world
    can't see you through the router. And asking here about anti-virus is gonna
    get answers of myriad persusions...basically, there are those who say the
    free AV programs are fine. There are those who say "Norton is the plague"
    (and McAfee too). There are those who have some little heard of company's
    program (which probably doesn't have the resources to stay on top of new
    infections in a timely manner.) And each of them has a good point.

    So...the most important issue is what is gonna make you happy. Do you have
    money to spend? If so, I'd recommend staying with a well-accepted commercial
    AV program like Kaspersky, Sophos, Norton, McAfee, eTrust, etc. (One caveat:
    on the Norton and McAfee, don't go with the full blown "security suite" or
    "Systemworks" packages...just the AV program.)

    BUT...the biggest problem isn't the AV software...it's good computing
    practice.

    1) You are using Outlook Express 6 for your newsreader, so I'm going to
    guess that you use it for email too. Turn OFF the preview pane. Click on
    View, Layout, take the checkmark out of the box in front of "Show preview
    pane" about halfway down. If you have the preview pane on, an 'embedded'
    trojan, virus, etc., can execute it's code before you even know that you
    shouldn't have opened that email. You don't have time to react.

    2) Set your email program to always show email in TEXT ONLY. If you are on a
    mail list or receive other emails that are HTML, you can always toggle that
    one on (alt-shift-h). This too prevents malware from executing. (Tools,
    options, read, check "read all messages in plain text"). And while you're at
    it, try to send email text only. It's smaller, faster, and safer.

    Other Safe Hex tips should be looked at...the following list is compiled by
    °Mike°:

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/security/general/guide/overview.htm

    Protect your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/protect.asp

    Safe Computing Practice
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

    Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
    http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

    Have fun...but be safe!
    Toolman Tim, Jan 17, 2005

  3. B S

    samuel Guest

    "B S" <> wrote in

    > There are lots of different antivirus and Firewall softwares
    > available in the market, so can you pleases suggest me good
    > Antivirus and Firewall software for home use form your
    > personal opinion.
    >
    > I have two computers and they are connected each other with
    > the router.

    earlier

    Subject: Re: Antivirus and Firewall
    From: °Mike° <>
  4. B S

    Conor Guest

    In article <gaHGd.15790$>, Toolman Tim says...

    > "B S" <> wrote in message
    > | There are lots of different antivirus and Firewall softwares available in
    > | the market, so can you pleases suggest me good Antivirus and Firewall
    > | software for home use form your personal opinion.
    > |
    > | I have two computers and they are connected each other with the router.
    >
    > Does your router have NAT? Then don't worry much about a firewall.

    DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ADVICE.

    NAT stops people getting in to a point but it doesn't stop malware,
    trojans, keyloggers etc getting OUT.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 17, 2005
  5. B S

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gaHGd.15790$>, Toolman Tim says...
    >>
    >> "B S" <> wrote in message
    >> | There are lots of different antivirus and Firewall softwares available
    >> in
    >> | the market, so can you pleases suggest me good Antivirus and Firewall
    >> | software for home use form your personal opinion.
    >> |
    >> | I have two computers and they are connected each other with the router.
    >>
    >> Does your router have NAT? Then don't worry much about a firewall.

    > DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ADVICE.
    >
    > NAT stops people getting in to a point but it doesn't stop malware,
    > trojans, keyloggers etc getting OUT.

    True. BUT if he follows the REST of the advice I gave he WON'T HAVE any
    freakin' malware...so think about it, eh?
    Toolman Tim, Jan 17, 2005
  6. On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:28:04 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >1) You are using Outlook Express 6 for your newsreader, so I'm going to
    >guess that you use it for email too. Turn OFF the preview pane. Click on
    >View, Layout, take the checkmark out of the box in front of "Show preview
    >pane" about halfway down. If you have the preview pane on, an 'embedded'
    >trojan, virus, etc., can execute it's code before you even know that you
    >shouldn't have opened that email. You don't have time to react.

    Ask your ISP for their webmail site. It's usually mail.(my isp).com
    or webmail.(my isp).com. Go there and log in to your webmail _before_
    you start your email program. This will allow you to screen the list
    of messages on the server without risk. Delete suspicious looking
    ones by looking at the from and subject fields. Thus, many suspicious
    and spam mails will never be downloaded to your computer.

    Swill

    --
    If electricity comes from electrons,
    does morality come from morons?
    Governor Swill, Jan 17, 2005
  7. B S

    Plato Guest

    Governor Swill wrote:

    > Ask your ISP for their webmail site. It's usually mail.(my isp).com
    > or webmail.(my isp).com. Go there and log in to your webmail _before_
    > you start your email program. This will allow you to screen the list
    > of messages on the server without risk. Delete suspicious looking
    > ones by looking at the from and subject fields. Thus, many suspicious
    > and spam mails will never be downloaded to your computer.

    Or use an standard email program that can do "selective mail download"
    like Pegausus where one can easily delete ODD/SPAM/VIRUS mail on the
    server and NOT download it in the first place.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 18, 2005