    that will scan an NTFS partition such as Win XP?

    Gary
    , Nov 6, 2003

  2. techshare Guest

    Do you want to run this from DOS? If so, the only approach I've seen is
    using something like F-PROT with a DOS NTFS reader (like NTFSDOS).
    Personally, I haven't tried it yet. Let us know if you are successful with
    it.

    If you don't need to run from DOS ... I'm pretty sure there are scanners out
    there that will run in Safe mode, etc. Good Luck!

    techshare, Nov 6, 2003

  3. RJ Guest

    I have Norton Systemworks 2003 and it boots from CD to scan for viruses on
    NTFS.
    I am also using winxp pro.
    RJ, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Guest

    How do you get norton SystemWorks 2003 to scan for viruses on an NTFS
    partition when you boot from the CD? I can't and the book says it
    can't, am I missing something?

    Gary

    >I have Norton Systemworks 2003 and it boots from CD to scan for viruses on
    >NTFS.
    >I am also using winxp pro.

    , Nov 6, 2003
  5. techshare Guest

    but what about the latest definitions? Mcafee has a similar feature ... but
    I'm not sure how you'd get the latest definitions all set. This is actually
    a major problem with today's virus scanners.

    techshare, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Guest

    The only way I know around the problem is to pull the drive and set it
    up as a slave in a Win2k or WinXP machine and scan from there. BTW
    somebody from this group came up with that solution.

    >but what about the latest definitions? Mcafee has a similar feature ... but
    >I'm not sure how you'd get the latest definitions all set. This is actually
    >a major problem with today's virus scanners.
    >"RJ" <> wrote in message
    >> I have Norton Systemworks 2003 and it boots from CD to scan for viruses on
    >> NTFS.
    >> I am also using winxp pro.

    , Nov 6, 2003
  7. R.A.D. Guest

    If you can get online I have used an online virus scan such as Trend Micro's
    housecall. It is free and is usually up to date.

    R.A.D., Nov 7, 2003
  8. RussS Guest

    Try getting the Ultimate Boot Disk - has FProt on it and scans NTFS
    partitions.
    RussS, Nov 7, 2003
  9. techshare Guest

    which probably is just using a dos ntfs reader and f-prot ... like I was
    saying earlier.... but I bet this boot disk has other useful stuff bundled
    on it. I think you'll still wind up making your own CD to keep the
    definitions updated.

    techshare, Nov 7, 2003
  10. techshare Guest

    Sorry. That's not a very good solution at all! Let me get this straight ...
    I give you perhaps the best solution available ... you ignore that post ...
    and post back this "in your face" bullsh*t about slaving off a drive?!
    Yeahhhh good way to look like a fool in front of the customer or always wind
    up removing viruses at the shop. Think about what you write before you write
    it ... and read the useful replies that oh very few people in this group
    send.

    BTW - I'm quite certain that a DOS NTFS reader IS a solution to this
    problem. That combined with a scanner and the latest defs on CD and you
    should be set. This is what I use. I've made over 1800 the past two month
    removing viruses alone. However, even though I carry such a setup ... I find
    the best way to remove viruses and worms is to get the machine booting ...
    identify the viruses/worms ... get information about each of them ... and go
    about removing manually automatically or both. Most times you need to fix
    the registry and other stuff in the OS. Running in DOS or safe mode usually
    won't get you that (at least not easily). Besides that, using the shield
    component is a good fast way to spot a virus in memory. Yes, I realize some
    viruses jack up virus scanners running in Windows. However, many of them do
    not.

    techshare, Nov 7, 2003
  11. techshare Guest

    Oh not you again ....

    I have been using this setup for quite sometime. I haven't had a need to
    TEST the ntfsdos stuff since I usually don't need to scan drives from a boot
    floppy. I've been saying that you really should try to remove viruses and
    worms with a scanner in WINDOWS FIRST. Again, "bobo" you are incapable of
    receiving help from a technical person. You guys resemble a bunch of monkeys
    in a gangland school (with bad attitudes). You should be ashamed ... and I
    must be a real glutton for punishment.

    Kids. You got that part right.

    techshare, Nov 7, 2003
  12. jt Guest

    Hey techshare,

    Do you install your copy of the scanner s/w on the client's system (like in
    Windows XP) to run it (and I presume you would uninstall it when you're
    done), or do you just run it from your CD without installing it (like using
    the navdx command - From Norton's AV 2002 - in a Command Prompt window)? I'm
    wondering what the pro's and con's would be for either method.

    thanks,
    jt

    jt, Nov 7, 2003
  13. techshare Guest

    9 times out of 10 an infection results in a sale of a virus scanner. In
    other words, I do install it (fresh) and sell them the product. Most people
    wind up with virus problems because their "current" scanner (if any) is
    either outdated, or not working. On some occasions, I'll attempt to update
    or otherwise use what the customer has. Actually, I'll do whatever I can to
    use it. However, like anything else ... I will charge for whatever time it
    takes to get their mess up and running again. On the flip side, if I sell
    them a scanner I will include a virus removal provided it doesn't take too
    long. At 79 for a scanner installed + license + some virus removal time ...
    it's usually a better deal for the customer to go that route.

    As far as uninstalling it ... I don't do that anymore. If a customer needs
    me to use my scanner, I require them to buy a license. Again, they'd have
    just as much in with my time and no scanner ... so there usually isn't a
    problem.

    On a side note, profit is the name of the game .... and when you run a
    computer service business ... there aren't a lot of products to sell (other
    than your time). Virus scanners and networking equipment are the only ones
    I've found to be good sellers. You'll do yourself and your customers well to
    find creative ways to sell these products.

    techshare, Nov 7, 2003
  14. techshare Guest

    Oh, I forgot the "pro's" . I don't see many pros to using any other method
    other than what I just described. If you do anything else.. you'll probably
    spend more time, have a greater chance of failure, and will leave the
    customer in a less protected state.

    techshare, Nov 7, 2003
  15. jt Guest

    Good points. Thanks.

    BTW, do you buy your products wholesale, or just go retail and add a little
    mark-up for the client? The theory being that unless you're moving a lot of
    something, it's too much hassel and exposure (to ending up with unsold,
    out-dated s/w or h/w) to bother with wholesale (although it's nice not to
    have to run to the store every time you need something for a client's
    system).

    cheers, jt

    jt, Nov 7, 2003
  16. jt Guest

    Techshare,
    Oops... Never mind with a reply to that. I just did another search and found
    some earlier threads where you address this. Thanks again. Cheers, jt

    jt, Nov 7, 2003
  17. techshare Guest

    I buy them from the obvious local stores and through Internet stores, and
    add a LOT of markup to the client. This isn't a high volume deep discount
    business. I'm working into wholesale pricing, but with computer stuff the
    margins are thin for the resellers ... so I'm not sure how much better of a
    deal you'll get than from all the other Internet companies out there. For
    example, you can buy Mcafee scan 7.0 for about 30+tax at walmart. You can
    buy it from some online retailers for half that. You can buy it at other
    stores for as much as twice that. If I run out, I take the hit and buy
    locally for that one customer. Seems to keep happening with modems. God I
    hate modem problems.

    The thing to remember is selling computer products through a service company
    is not the same as Best Buy. The customers assume they are paying a big
    markup, and they have ways of getting that markup back out of you anyway ...
    so you'd better charge it if you want to get paid for your time.

    techshare, Nov 7, 2003