    that are on machines that people do not disinfect

    Just a thought.

    PAM.

    PAM., May 18, 2005

  2. PAM.

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 08:48:52 +1200, PAM. wrote:

    > How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a virus and connects to some
    > central DB and cleans up ones PC. It would help wipe out some of these virii
    > that are on machines that people do not disinfect
    >
    > Just a thought.
    >
    > PAM.

    there was one that patched phpbb and I think theres been
    one or two previous

    Shane, May 18, 2005

  3. "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 08:48:52 +1200, PAM. wrote:
    >
    >> How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a virus and connects to
    >> some
    >> central DB and cleans up ones PC. It would help wipe out some of these
    >> virii
    >> that are on machines that people do not disinfect
    >>
    >> Just a thought.
    >>
    >> PAM.

    > there was one that patched phpbb and I think theres been
    > one or two previous

    The problem with this is the traffic and the implications of a program being
    installed on one's PC without authorisation. Regardless of being a good
    intention, it's not a good idea to install things without asking for
    permission - this is the "spread like a virus" part of it.

    Can you imagine the havoc if this thing goes into a corporate secure network
    without the Admins knowing this thing is propagating? Worldwide the company
    I work for has in excess of 60,000 PC. Can you imagine internal traffic,
    misconfiguration and problems?

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, May 18, 2005
  4. PAM.

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:11:03 +1200, Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 19 May 2005 08:48:52 +1200, PAM. wrote:
    >>
    >>> How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a virus and connects to
    >>> some
    >>> central DB and cleans up ones PC. It would help wipe out some of these
    >>> virii
    >>> that are on machines that people do not disinfect
    >>>
    >>> Just a thought.
    >>>
    >>> PAM.

    >> there was one that patched phpbb and I think theres been
    >> one or two previous
    >>

    > The problem with this is the traffic and the implications of a program being
    > installed on one's PC without authorisation. Regardless of being a good
    > intention, it's not a good idea to install things without asking for
    > permission - this is the "spread like a virus" part of it.
    >
    > Can you imagine the havoc if this thing goes into a corporate secure network
    > without the Admins knowing this thing is propagating? Worldwide the company
    > I work for has in excess of 60,000 PC. Can you imagine internal traffic,
    > misconfiguration and problems?

    the traffic would diminish though as less and less machines were
    vulnerable
    I agree its not a good idea to be releasing 'anti-worms'
    also, who's to say the 'patch' isnt going to cause more troubles for the
    machines
    Its a bit like the hackers on zone-h who go round hacking websites with
    the intention of showing how vuln. a site is so admins will fix it.
    Doing just as much damage as 'malicious' hackers

    Shane, May 18, 2005
  5. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message

    > Can you imagine the havoc if this thing goes into a corporate secure

    network
    > without the Admins knowing this thing is propagating? Worldwide the

    company
    > I work for has in excess of 60,000 PC. Can you imagine internal traffic,
    > misconfiguration and problems?

    Nope. That's why it was just a thought. I have no idea about virii and PC
    hardware and configs.

    PAM.

    PAM., May 18, 2005
  6. PAM.

    stenknz Guest

    Good idea anyway Pam.

    We need people to think out of the box like this!

    Sten

    stenknz, May 18, 2005
  7. Shane wrote:
    > the traffic would diminish though as less and less machines were
    > vulnerable
    > I agree its not a good idea to be releasing 'anti-worms'
    > also, who's to say the 'patch' isnt going to cause more troubles for the
    > machines

    indeed, some patches are dodged due to hassles that they cause with
    other software... we had to delay SP4 for win2k in the kitchen here at
    work until the kitchen/meal management software was compatible.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 18, 2005
  8. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "stenknz" <> wrote in message

    > Good idea anyway Pam.
    >
    > We need people to think out of the box like this!

    Box? What box? I'm not in a box. Who said I was?
    No. No, I can't take it any more. The voices are appearing again. go away!

    GO AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
    :)

    Paranoid PAM.

    PAM., May 18, 2005
  9. PAM.

    phstpok Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > PAM. wrote:
    >
    >> How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a virus and connects
    >> to some
    >> central DB and cleans up ones PC. It would help wipe out some of these
    >> virii
    >> that are on machines that people do not disinfect
    >>
    >> Just a thought.

    > A pretty good one. There are some anti-virii virii I think, but not
    > as common as they used to be on old Amiga and Atari computers. I used
    > to 'infect' old Atari disks with a boot-sector anti-virus to prevent
    > a real virus from infecting them...

    Wasn't there an anti-virii virii out last year (supposed to fix blaster
    iirc)which caused more problems than it fixed?

    Rob

    --

    http://phstpok.blog.co.uk/main/

    phstpok, May 19, 2005
  10. Hi there,

    PAM. wrote:
    > How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a virus and connects to some
    > central DB and cleans up ones PC. It would help wipe out some of these virii
    > that are on machines that people do not disinfect
    >
    > Just a thought.

    A pretty good one. There are some anti-virii virii I think, but not
    as common as they used to be on old Amiga and Atari computers. I used
    to 'infect' old Atari disks with a boot-sector anti-virus to prevent
    a real virus from infecting them...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 19, 2005
  11. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Shane wrote:
    >> the traffic would diminish though as less and less machines were
    >> vulnerable
    >> I agree its not a good idea to be releasing 'anti-worms' also, who's to
    >> say the 'patch' isnt going to cause more troubles for the
    >> machines

    > indeed, some patches are dodged due to hassles that they cause with other
    > software... we had to delay SP4 for win2k in the kitchen here at work
    > until the kitchen/meal management software was compatible.

    Hmmm. I can see a huge loss of productivity due to employees not working
    until food is supplied...

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, May 19, 2005
  12. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "phstpok" <> wrote in message

    > Wasn't there an anti-virii virii out last year (supposed to fix blaster
    > iirc)which caused more problems than it fixed?

    If someone/group was to do this, they could inform the anti-virus community
    letting the people who actually create av products to stop it from infecting
    their customers PC's by adding it to the list of known virii. Also do the av
    updates...etc through one of the standard ports to the outside world. It
    will then only end up infecting those computers that have no firewall and no
    AV or badly updated AV PC's.

    In other words. Any idiot still allowing their pc to infect many around the
    world. These people.

    One for the OSS perhaps

    PAM.

    PAM., May 19, 2005
  13. Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Shane wrote:
    >>
    >>>the traffic would diminish though as less and less machines were
    >>>vulnerable
    >>>I agree its not a good idea to be releasing 'anti-worms' also, who's to
    >>>say the 'patch' isnt going to cause more troubles for the
    >>>machines

    >>indeed, some patches are dodged due to hassles that they cause with other
    >>software... we had to delay SP4 for win2k in the kitchen here at work
    >>until the kitchen/meal management software was compatible.

    > Hmmm. I can see a huge loss of productivity due to employees not working
    > until food is supplied...

    heh, or patients not being able to take medication due to having no food.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 19, 2005
  14. Hi there,

    phstpok wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> PAM. wrote:
    >>
    >>> How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a virus and connects
    >>> to some
    >>> central DB and cleans up ones PC. It would help wipe out some of
    >>> these virii
    >>> that are on machines that people do not disinfect
    >>>
    >>> Just a thought.

    >> A pretty good one. There are some anti-virii virii I think, but not
    >> as common as they used to be on old Amiga and Atari computers. I used
    >> to 'infect' old Atari disks with a boot-sector anti-virus to prevent
    >> a real virus from infecting them...
    >>

    > Wasn't there an anti-virii virii out last year (supposed to fix blaster
    > iirc)which caused more problems than it fixed?

    Possibly. I'd imagine all the competing AV softs would have a field day
    eradicating someones anti-virus virus... :)

    Chris Wilkinson, May 19, 2005
  15. PAM.

    Enkidu Guest

    PAM. wrote:

    > How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a
    > virus and connects to some central DB and cleans up
    > ones PC. It would help wipe out some of these virii
    > that are on machines that people do not disinfect

    How about an anti-anti-virus virus that goes round
    redirecting the anti-virus virus to a fake DB that
    spreads itslef to everywhere.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 19, 2005
  16. PAM.

    Jay Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in message
    > How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a virus and connects to
    > some
    > central DB and cleans up ones PC. It would help wipe out some of these
    > virii
    > that are on machines that people do not disinfect

    anti-virus virus = oxymoron.
    what could it do to a db?
    virii = urban myth. No such word.

    Jay

    Jay, May 19, 2005
  17. PAM.

    Jerry Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > PAM. wrote:
    > >

    >> How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a

    > > virus and connects to some central DB and cleans up
    > > ones PC. It would help wipe out some of these virii

    >> that are on machines that people do not disinfect
    >>

    > How about an anti-anti-virus virus that goes round redirecting the
    > anti-virus virus to a fake DB that
    > spreads itslef to everywhere.

    And then of course an anti-anti-anti-virus virus to counteract your
    anti-anti-virus virus.......

    Reminds me of the move this year of the US baseball team that re-flagged
    themselves from "The Anaheim Angels" to "The Los Angeles Angels of
    Anaheim". Since "Los Angeles" translates to "the angels" in English,
    the offical name of the team is "The The Angels Angels of Anaheim".

    Jerry

    Jerry, May 19, 2005
  18. PAM.

    Matty F Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > Reminds me of the move this year of the US baseball team that re-flagged
    > themselves from "The Anaheim Angels" to "The Los Angeles Angels of
    > Anaheim". Since "Los Angeles" translates to "the angels" in English,
    > the offical name of the team is "The The Angels Angels of Anaheim".

    Baron Howe's wife Elspeth Howe, a former Chair of the Broadcasting
    Standards Commission, was made a life peer in 2001 as Baroness Howe of
    Idlicote. As a result of her husband having received a knighthood and
    later a peerage, and herself subsequently being made a peer in her own
    right, she has been referred to as "Lady Lady Lady Howe".

    Matty F, May 19, 2005
  19. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > anti-virus virus = oxymoron.
    > what could it do to a db?

    The DB is basically base camp where the av gets more info of virii to seek
    and destroy. an av update place if you will.

    > virii = urban myth. No such word.

    Really? Oh. Well, even though I am English, I was never really good at it at
    school.

    PAM.

    PAM., May 19, 2005
  20. PAM.

    JohnO Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > How about an anti-virus virus that spreads like a virus and connects

    to some
    > central DB and cleans up ones PC. It would help wipe out some of

    these virii
    > that are on machines that people do not disinfect
    >
    > Just a thought.
    >
    > PAM.

    Wasn't it the blaster worm that started out with this sort of intent?
    It turned out to be one of the most costly pc security disasters of all
    time.

    The problem is the 'connect to some central DB' but. If you have
    hundreds or thousands of PC's on a corporate network trying to do this
    the result is the network goes down in smoke.

    JohnO, May 20, 2005