Anti-virus that's light on resources

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by DA, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. DA

    DA Guest

    Hello everyone!

    I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
    couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
    access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
    anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
    signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
    the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
    had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
    the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
    than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
    did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
    worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
    PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
    networking issues galore.

    So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
    software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?

    Cheers!
    DA

    -------------------------------------

    Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
    The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
    alt.computer.security - 2450 messages and counting!

    DA, Sep 9, 2005

  2. DA

    Notan Guest

    DA wrote:

    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
    > couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
    > access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
    > anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
    > signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
    > the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
    > had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
    > the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
    > than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
    > did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
    > worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
    > PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
    > networking issues galore.
    >
    > So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
    > software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?

    While I'm sure other posters have their favorites, I've been using
    NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com).

    Very good, and *very* low on resources.

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 9, 2005

  3. From: "DA" <>

    | Hello everyone!
    |
    | I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
    | couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
    | access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
    | anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
    | signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
    | the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
    | had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
    | the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
    | than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
    | did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
    | worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
    | PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
    | networking issues galore.
    |
    | So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
    | software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?
    |
    | Cheers!
    | DA

    Please read the thread; "Looking for small footprint AV"

    Posted in; alt.comp.anti-virus

    Posted on; Thursday, September 08, 2005 4:15 PM

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Sep 9, 2005
  4. DA

    speeder Guest

    On 9 Sep 2005 16:27:34 -0400, (DA)
    wrote:

    >Hello everyone!
    >
    >I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
    >couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
    >access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
    >anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
    >signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
    >the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
    >had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
    >the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
    >than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
    >did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
    >worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
    >PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
    >networking issues galore.
    >
    >So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
    >software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?

    There are others of course, but from personal experience I use AVG on
    a P1 166MHz/98MB RAM comp and it works!

    speeder, Sep 9, 2005
  5. DA

    DA Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > Please read the thread; "Looking for small footprint AV"
    > Posted in; alt.comp.anti-virus
    > Posted on; Thursday, September 08, 2005 4:15 PM

    Thank you for the hint, David
    I did find that thread here

    http://www.secure-gear.com/Looking-for-small-footprint-AV-article3806-6.htm

    My thing is: I'm not entirely sure if I need an on-the-fly anti-virus or
    not. The PC is going to face a fair amount of Internet usage and, although
    I don't download executable files too often myself, I'm concerned about
    any malicious code that a Web page might bring along. I guess, that would
    mean I need an on-the-fly anti-virus.

    Also, I'm not necessarily looking for a free solution (although free is
    always nice), but the "small footprint AVs" tend to be from the free side
    of the fence - hence lack of some (important?) features.

    So, I'm still wondering: is there a full-featured "light on resources" AV
    out there that someone can recommend?

    Thanks!

    DA

    Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
    The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
    alt.computer.security - 2467 messages and counting!

    DA, Sep 10, 2005
  6. "speeder" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 Sep 2005 16:27:34 -0400, (DA)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello everyone!
    >>
    >>I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
    >>couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
    >>access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
    >>anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
    >>signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
    >>the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
    >>had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
    >>the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
    >>than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
    >>did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
    >>worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
    >>PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
    >>networking issues galore.
    >>
    >>So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
    >>software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?

    > There are others of course, but from personal experience I use AVG on
    > a P1 166MHz/98MB RAM comp and it works!

    I have used Norton and AVG, but have finally decided to settle with
    Avast..... good all round protection, and it's extremely low on resources.

    Ronald MacDonald, Sep 10, 2005
  7. DA

    Notan Guest

    DA wrote:

    > <snip
    >
    > So, I'm still wondering: is there a full-featured "light on resources" AV
    > out there that someone can recommend?

    With all due respect, are you not paying attention?

    *Numerous* "full-featured 'light on resources' AV" programs
    have been presented to you.

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 10, 2005
  8. DA

    DA Guest

    Notan wrote:

    > While I'm sure other posters have their favorites, I've been using
    > NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com).

    > Very good, and *very* low on resources.

    Thank you, Notan. I'm going to give NOD32 a try. From what I've read in
    this forum and alt.comp.anti-virus it seems to be (one of) the most suited
    for resource-challenged PC.
    Thanks again,
    DA

    Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
    The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
    alt.computer.security - 2507 messages and counting!

    DA, Sep 10, 2005