Anti-Virus & Rejected email

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WormWood, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. WormWood

    WormWood Guest

    "Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    news:pAtnd.23601$...
    > Every so often I receive a msg saying that an email I sent was
    > aborted because it contained a virus. I never sent an emails to the
    > addresses that are indicated. Anyone know what is happening?

    If the message goes on to try to sell you an antivirus, it's spam. Don't
    believe the spiel about a virus ridden email from you. If there's no
    offer to sell, click on a link or contact them, it is still not legit
    mail since it was unsolicited.

    WormWood, Nov 19, 2004

  2. WormWood

    Scraggy Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > Every so often I receive a msg saying that an email I sent was
    > aborted because it contained a virus. I never sent an emails to the
    > addresses that are indicated. Anyone know what is happening?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    Someone has had your email addy in their address book and been infected
    with a virus. Several types of virus spoof the sender addy during
    propagation. Welcome to the club.
    --
    The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to
    arm bears. -- Chris Addison

    Scraggy, Nov 19, 2004

  3. WormWood

    RobD. Guest

    You have what's called a worm. Try this:

    --The Computer Doctors
    Serving Southern New England
    401-816-0393
    %% remove the %'s

    RobD., Nov 19, 2004
  4. In article lCund.29$Nw.8@lakeread08,
    "RobD." <%%> said:
    -->
    -->You have what's called a worm. Try this:
    -->
    -->
    -->--
    -->--The Computer Doctors
    -->Serving Southern New England
    -->401-816-0393
    -->%% remove the %'s
    -->"Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    -->news:pAtnd.23601$...
    -->> Every so often I receive a msg saying that an email I sent was
    -->> aborted because it contained a virus. I never sent an emails
    -->to the
    -->> addresses that are indicated. Anyone know what is happening?
    -->>
    -->> Goodwill,
    -->> Luke
    -->>
    -->
    -->
    -->
    -->

    Many thanks for your reply. I will certainly give it a shot. But
    I do have an anti-virus program that should have picked it up. I
    keep it up-to-date.

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Dec 2, 2004
  5. In article ,
    "Scraggy" <> said:
    -->
    -->Luke O'Malley wrote:
    -->> Every so often I receive a msg saying that an email I sent was
    -->> aborted because it contained a virus. I never sent an emails
    -->to the
    -->> addresses that are indicated. Anyone know what is happening?
    -->>
    -->> Goodwill,
    -->> Luke
    -->
    -->Someone has had your email addy in their address book and been
    -->infected
    -->with a virus. Several types of virus spoof the sender addy during
    -->propagation. Welcome to the club.
    -->--
    --> The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right
    -->arm bears. -- Chris Addison
    -->
    -->
    -->

    Chris,

    Thank you for your reply. It certainly makes sense. I have an
    active, up-to-date anti-virus program, so I don't see how I could
    have gotten a worm.

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    P.S. There are two towns in Georgia that require every family/home
    to have firearms! This is not a joke. The crime rate is zero in
    both towns!

    Luke O'Malley, Dec 2, 2004
  6. In article ,
    "WormWood" <> said:
    -->
    -->
    -->"Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    -->news:pAtnd.23601$...
    -->> Every so often I receive a msg saying that an email I sent was
    -->> aborted because it contained a virus. I never sent an emails
    -->to the
    -->> addresses that are indicated. Anyone know what is happening?
    -->>
    -->If the message goes on to try to sell you an antivirus, it's
    -->spam. Don't
    -->believe the spiel about a virus ridden email from you. If there's
    -->no
    -->offer to sell, click on a link or contact them, it is still not
    -->legit
    -->mail since it was unsolicited.
    -->
    -->
    -->
    -->
    -->

    Thank you for replying.

    I probably didn't make myself clear. You know when you have email
    returned because you have a wrong address? Well, I get notices like
    that, but I never sent the email. I tried to track down the origin
    without success.

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Dec 2, 2004
  7. WormWood

    Hammerer Guest

    > I have an active, up-to-date anti-virus program,
    > so I don't see how I could have gotten a worm.

    Maybe it's something you ate.

    > P.S. There are two towns in Georgia that require every
    > family/home to have firearms! This is not a joke.
    > The crime rate is zero in both towns!

    Yep. So's the population count. They all shot each other.

    Hammerer, Dec 2, 2004
  8. WormWood

    terowe Guest

    The virus sent the email and inserted your address as the sender. I don't
    think you can track the email. I get them every day. I have web sites up and
    they get my address from my sites.
    Terry

    terowe, Dec 3, 2004