    I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
    requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
    scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

    sd, Feb 17, 2004

  2. sd

    steve Guest

    sd wrote:

    > I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
    > requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
    > scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

    Linux.

    Free.

    Scans nothing, ever, for viruses.

    No need.

    steve, Feb 18, 2004

  3. sd

    Chris Guest

    (sd) wrote in

    > I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
    > requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
    > scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

    My eTrust EZ Antivirus doesn't appear to allow excluding certain
    directories, so I guess that kind of answers your question in part in
    reverse :)

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 18, 2004
  4. sd

    Warwick Guest

    On 17 Feb 2004 13:07:19 -0800, sd wrote:

    > I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
    > requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
    > scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

    AVG has that functionality.

    Warwick, Feb 18, 2004
  5. sd

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:55:54 +1300, steve wrote:

    > sd wrote:
    >
    >> I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
    >> requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
    >> scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

    > Linux.
    >
    > Free.
    >
    > Scans nothing, ever, for viruses.
    >
    > No need.

    Not much use if you are protecting an online windows box tho is it?

    Warwick, Feb 18, 2004
  6. sd

    sd Guest

    Warwick <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 17 Feb 2004 13:07:19 -0800, sd wrote:
    >
    > > I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
    > > requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
    > > scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

    > AVG has that functionality.

    Thanks. Can you tell me where to configure that option? I've used AVG
    before but must have overlooked that feature.

    sd, Feb 18, 2004
  7. sd

    Warwick Guest

    On 17 Feb 2004 22:26:15 -0800, sd wrote:

    > Warwick <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On 17 Feb 2004 13:07:19 -0800, sd wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
    >>> requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
    >>> scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

    >> AVG has that functionality.

    > Thanks. Can you tell me where to configure that option? I've used AVG
    > before but must have overlooked that feature.

    From the main menu, test/ Custom test.

    Warwick, Feb 18, 2004
  8. sd

    Alan Chiew Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:13 +1300, Warwick <> wrote:

    >From the main menu, test/ Custom test.

    But that's not "real-time scan protection".

    Alan Chiew, Feb 18, 2004
  9. sd

    Warwick Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:12:19 +1300, Alan Chiew wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:13 +1300, Warwick <> wrote:
    >
    >>From the main menu, test/ Custom test.

    > But that's not "real-time scan protection".

    bugger, sorry I misunderstood the question.

    What is the requirement then? Resident shield is doing what? scanning email
    and port traffic? It is not a directory specific task is it?

    Warwick, Feb 18, 2004
  10. sd

    sd Guest

    Warwick <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:12:19 +1300, Alan Chiew wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:13 +1300, Warwick <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>From the main menu, test/ Custom test.

    > > But that's not "real-time scan protection".

    > bugger, sorry I misunderstood the question.
    >
    > What is the requirement then? Resident shield is doing what? scanning email
    > and port traffic? It is not a directory specific task is it?

    Resident Shield scans files in the background when you access them.
    There's one particular program file that is 100% legitimate but
    anti-virus software (so far I've tried AVG and CA eTrust) detects it
    as some kind of script and throws up a warning message.

    sd, Feb 18, 2004
  11. sd

    Warwick Guest

    On 18 Feb 2004 12:48:10 -0800, sd wrote:

    > Warwick <> wrote in message news:<>...

    >>> But that's not "real-time scan protection".

    >> bugger, sorry I misunderstood the question.
    >>
    >> What is the requirement then? Resident shield is doing what? scanning email
    >> and port traffic? It is not a directory specific task is it?

    > Resident Shield scans files in the background when you access them.
    > There's one particular program file that is 100% legitimate but
    > anti-virus software (so far I've tried AVG and CA eTrust) detects it
    > as some kind of script and throws up a warning message.

    Hell, sorry if I wasted your time. Turning heuristics off might prevent the
    warning, if you can live without them.

    Warwick, Feb 18, 2004
  12. sd

    Disco Stu Guest

    steve wrote:
    > sd wrote:
    >

    >>I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
    >>requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
    >>scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

    > Linux.
    >
    > Free.
    >
    > Scans nothing, ever, for viruses.
    >
    > No need.

    not true.

    Here is an example of a linux virus.

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/linux.simile.html

    Linux anti virus software is available, presumably to combat the linux
    based viruses out there.

    Disco Stu, Feb 18, 2004
  13. sd

    Chris Guest

    (sd) wrote in

    > Warwick <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:12:19 +1300, Alan Chiew wrote:

    >> > But that's not "real-time scan protection".

    >> bugger, sorry I misunderstood the question.
    >>
    >> What is the requirement then? Resident shield is doing what? scanning
    >> email and port traffic? It is not a directory specific task is it?

    > Resident Shield scans files in the background when you access them.
    > There's one particular program file that is 100% legitimate but
    > anti-virus software (so far I've tried AVG and CA eTrust) detects it
    > as some kind of script and throws up a warning message.

    I just remembered - Panda might do what you want, in fact I'm pretty sure
    it will from memory unless they have changed it. Was getting quite
    expensive and they were forcing me to upgrade to a new product rather than
    just renew the sub so I switched to CA.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 19, 2004