    that does what I want it to do?

    Any advice & information is gratefully received.

    Thanks!!

    Neil Hindry, Feb 28, 2004

  2. Neil Hindry

    John Guest

    In article <40410933$2$17824$>,
    neilhindry@_nospamthankyou_ntlworld.com says...
    > I have a laptop that came with Norton anti-virus 2002. I have now come to
    > the end of my free years update and so I want to find a new anti-virus
    > program as I have heard lots of people saying to stay clear of Norton.
    >
    > I am looking for an anti-virus program that does the following :-
    > Check all files accessed for viruses (like Auto-protect in Norton)
    > Check E-mails as you download them
    > Unlimited free updates.
    > I want it to work with Windows XP (Pro & Home)
    > Any other features that you think are useful.
    >
    > I know there is AVG, but I wanted to know what else was available. Could
    > you please give me advice as to what is the best free anti-virus program
    > that does what I want it to do?
    >
    > Any advice & information is gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Here is an independent magazine's listing of the vendors and their
    records on the magazine's tests.

    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?

    I think ESET produces a good product - annual fee is in the middle of
    the pack at $39. That gives 1 year of free updates. The program is
    very well written so there is no noticeable drag, updates are automatic
    and unnoticeable. It's really a set it and forget it antivirus program.

    John, Feb 28, 2004