    Gator Guest

    I am looking for a new anti-virus solution. Does anyone have any opinion
    about which anti-virus solution is the best?

    Gator, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Gator

    nemo_outis Guest

    "Gator" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I am looking for a new anti-virus solution. Does anyone have any opinion
    > about which anti-virus solution is the best?

    There are a number of good ones. IMHO Kaspersky is the best (although its
    interface is rather geeky). Historically, Kaspersky has been especially
    strong in looking inside various packing schemes (UPX and many others) to
    find viruses that are camouflaged - this feature is very helpful for those
    who download warez, etc. from P2P networks, etc.

    There is another anti-virus program that uses the Kaspersky engine in
    combination with another engine which should be very effective - but,
    sadly, the name escapes me at the moment.

    I've also heard good things about some free ones such as AVG.

    While Norton does work reasonably well I recommend you avoid it for (at
    least) three reasons: it is bloatware which will slow your system, it puts
    down roots very deep and is a bitch to uninstall completely, and there have
    been reports of difficult-to-resolve conflicts with other software.

    Same for Macafee (but, to be fair, to a *much* smaller extent).

    Regards,

    PS I use Kaspersky Personal Pro

    nemo_outis, Aug 27, 2005

  3. From: "Gator" <>

    | I am looking for a new anti-virus solution. Does anyone have any opinion
    | about which anti-virus solution is the best?

    The really good ones cost $$. NOD32 and Kasperski are the best.
    However, here are some suggestions...

    AVAST -

    AntiVir -
    http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE

    AVG -
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE

    CA eTrust -
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    { Free offer extended indefinitely }

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Gator

    Kenty Guest

    > From: "Gator" <>
    >

    > | I am looking for a new anti-virus solution. Does anyone have any
    > opinion
    > | about which anti-virus solution is the best?
    > |

    > The really good ones cost $$. NOD32 and Kasperski are the best.
    > However, here are some suggestions...
    >
    > AVAST -
    >
    > AntiVir -
    > http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
    >
    > AVG -
    > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
    >
    > CA eTrust -
    > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    > { Free offer extended indefinitely }
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I'll go with AVG....used it for years with no problems, updates sometimes
    2 -3 times a day

    Kenty, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Gator

    Gator Guest

    Thanks. I would not use McAfee or Norton. I have been using Panda and I
    like it except it sometimes crashes when I use Mozilla Thunderbird. I have
    hear a lot of good things about AVG Professional and PC-Illin

    Gator, Aug 27, 2005
  6. I am looking also for a new antivirus because my norton licence gonna
    finish.
    I tested a few antivirus (demo versions) the past month.

    NOD32: did not work with me, found it strange but got endless problems with
    it ... ok, it is like that; but I have no doubt it is a good product

    Kaspersky: How is this possible ??? This guy is an old viruswriter and he
    still continue in this style. He write something in the header of each file
    in order to scan faster. After uninstalling his product, my whole NFTS
    filesystem was corrupt... thanks Eugene, but no more with me.

    Bitdefender: Excellent product, light on resources, fast updates - good
    detection. But the only problem was how to clean zip files, He cleaned it
    but the zip file came corrupt. I doubt about the realtime protection of this
    scanner. He give warnings about infected files, but he let them trough...
    even with the option 'deny access and delete' But this will sure improve in
    te future

    NAV 2006: Good, a littlebit bloatware and popups, warnings here and there
    and requires a newer system. Excellent if you have a strong computer and
    enough memory.

    F-secure: too heavy on resources... very slow scanning

    F-prot: This is what I gonna buy - This fits the best for me and I enjoyed
    to use it - simple but excellent. This is really the scanner for me !

    Avast ! - My second choise ! Excellent and he does everything the right
    way - realtime protection works flawless

    regards

    siegfried

    Ver Eecke Siegfried, Aug 28, 2005
  7. Gator

    nemo_outis Guest

    "Ver Eecke Siegfried" <> wrote in

    > Kaspersky: How is this possible ??? This guy is an old viruswriter and
    > he still continue in this style. He write something in the header of
    > each file in order to scan faster. After uninstalling his product, my
    > whole NFTS filesystem was corrupt... thanks Eugene, but no more with
    > me.

    I'll just clarify this one misconception of yours. Nothing happens to any
    file "header" but there is an *option* (in the Pro version) in Kaspersky
    for the program to mark files it has already scanned so that future scans
    are much faster. This option - if not disbled by the user! - puts its own
    metadata in an "NTFS stream" attached to the file (i.e., uses the Windows
    feature ADS). If you're uncomfortable about this feature disable it.

    You can also strip off the stream info if you prefer using any number of
    third-party programs or get KLStreamRemover directly from Kaspersky.

    Nothing is this does anything whatsoever to "corrupt" the file system!

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Aug 28, 2005
  8. Gator

    Mike Jones Guest

    Ver Eecke Siegfried wrote:
    > I am looking also for a new antivirus because my norton licence gonna
    > finish.
    > I tested a few antivirus (demo versions) the past month.
    >
    > NOD32: did not work with me, found it strange but got endless
    > problems with it ... ok, it is like that; but I have no doubt it is a
    > good product
    >
    > Kaspersky: How is this possible ??? This guy is an old viruswriter
    > and he still continue in this style. He write something in the header
    > of each file in order to scan faster. After uninstalling his product,
    > my whole NFTS filesystem was corrupt... thanks Eugene, but no more
    > with me.
    >
    > Bitdefender: Excellent product, light on resources, fast updates -
    > good detection. But the only problem was how to clean zip files, He
    > cleaned it but the zip file came corrupt. I doubt about the realtime
    > protection of this scanner. He give warnings about infected files,
    > but he let them trough... even with the option 'deny access and
    > delete' But this will sure improve in te future
    >
    > NAV 2006: Good, a littlebit bloatware and popups, warnings here and
    > there and requires a newer system. Excellent if you have a strong
    > computer and enough memory.
    >
    > F-secure: too heavy on resources... very slow scanning
    >
    > F-prot: This is what I gonna buy - This fits the best for me and I
    > enjoyed to use it - simple but excellent. This is really the scanner
    > for me !
    >
    > Avast ! - My second choise ! Excellent and he does everything the
    > right
    > way - realtime protection works flawless

    Anyone have views (but preferably based on experience) on WinClam (free)?

    Mike Jones, Aug 29, 2005
  9. From: "Mike Jones" <admin@127.0.0.1>

    | Anyone have views (but preferably based on experience) on WinClam (free)?

    It's library is too small. It is 20 ~ 25% of the size of other AV applications.

    BTW: That's ClamAV -- http://www.clamav.net/

    David H. Lipman, Aug 29, 2005
  10. Gator

    JOHN Guest