    getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either Virii or
    malware trojans etc
    How can he acheive this?
    Walter, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Walter

    Ed Medlin Guest

    I think you can get those settings checked at www.pcpitstop.com

    Ed
    "Walter" <> wrote in message
    news:F9ZDb.24960$...
    > Hi,
    > My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked by
    > getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either Virii or
    > malware trojans etc
    > How can he acheive this?

    ---
    Ed Medlin, Dec 18, 2003

  3. ["Followup-To:" header set to uk.comp.homebuilt]

    On 2003-12-17, Walter <> wrote:
    > My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked by
    > getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either Virii or
    > malware trojans etc
    > How can he acheive this?

    Sending "live" viruses and the like is, obviously, dangerous - especially
    if requested through unverifiable mediums like usenet :) To allow for
    the testing of anti-virus systems there is a standard test file which is
    identified by anti-virus software as a virus, even though the file is
    harmless.

    You can download the file here:
    http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

    Glyn.
    Glyn Grinstead, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Walter

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <F9ZDb.24960$>,
    "Walter" says...
    > Hi,
    > My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked by
    > getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either Virii or
    > malware trojans etc
    > How can he acheive this?

    Just create a throwaway email address, place it on a few websites and
    use it as a usenet posting address while trolling alt.2600.hackers and
    alt.comp.virus. It will soon start to gather all sorts of rubbish.
    Rob Morley, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Walter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rob Morley wrote:
    > In article <F9ZDb.24960$>,
    > "Walter" says...
    >> Hi,
    >> My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked
    >> by getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either
    >> Virii or malware trojans etc
    >> How can he acheive this?
    >>

    > Just create a throwaway email address, place it on a few websites and
    > use it as a usenet posting address while trolling alt.2600.hackers and
    > alt.comp.virus. It will soon start to gather all sorts of rubbish.

    LOL. That's the best answer yet. Call 'em all a bunch of wankers who
    couldn't damage a system with a sledge-hammer. Then be prepared to re-format
    and re-install.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 18, 2003