Anti-Virus damage.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TwisterFreak, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. TwisterFreak

    TwisterFreak Guest

    Just a quick question for you guys.
    A computer has had a new hard drive fitted, it has Windows XP home edition,
    with the latest security patches etc. It has Norton Anti-Virus 2002 with the
    latest definitions. The PC is running a 2.4Ghz Celeron and has 256B DDR266
    Ram.
    When the owner set up her internet connection and setup her outlook express
    again, she found that 18 of the emails were infected with the MyDoom virus.
    Norton quarantined them. Now, a few things have happened. Norton will not
    update and just says error, no matter how many times you try. All it says is
    that there are no newer definitions..
    Also the machine slowed down to less than a snails pace. Everything took
    ages to open. Went to Control Panel/System and found that the System Restore
    tab was completely missing. Went to Programs and System Restore wouldnt run
    anyway.
    Ran a disk error check(thorough) and it found quite a few problems. It found
    184k of bad sectors. It was a new hard drive so this was quite annoying.
    Anyhow, after the cheque it ran no problem at all, and system restore was
    back in control panel and worked from programs.
    Norton still gives the error though.

    So, to the questions.
    Can a virus, and something virus related cause bad sectors?
    Also is there anyway of fixing the bad sectors/and/or insuring they are not
    used again by windows.?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    All the best

    Darren
    TwisterFreak, Feb 12, 2004

  2. TwisterFreak

    °Mike° Guest

    If the new drive has/had bad sectors, send it back for replacement.

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:02:57 -0000, in
    <402bdbe9$0$9757$>
    TwisterFreak scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 12, 2004

  3. TwisterFreak

    Kráftéé Guest

    TwisterFreak wrote:
    > Just a quick question for you guys.
    > A computer has had a new hard drive fitted, it has Windows XP home
    > edition, with the latest security patches etc. It has Norton
    > Anti-Virus 2002 with the latest definitions.

    Nortons 2002 is not compatable with Windows XP, (2003 was the first one to
    be compatable)

    That would be a good place to start as if it's not compatable the virus
    protection will not be secure. Met up with a person in a similar situation
    at the begining of the week, the auto protection wasn't working & he hadn't
    done a manual scan (they take so long???????) for over 299 days......
    Kráftéé, Feb 12, 2004
  4. TwisterFreak

    Harrison Guest

    Given that the virus was on the system and probably activated before Norton was installed, I'd be suspicious of it being
    completely removed.
    Run the removal tool to be sure it's out completely.
    http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    I don't see the virus causing the disk problems, however, so that may well be a separate issue.
    I'd go for warranty.

    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004
  5. TwisterFreak

    TwisterFreak Guest

    Thanks for that guys. Didnt realise that about Nortons 2002.
    She has uninstalled it and thrown AVG on.
    So is it possible for a virus to actually cause bad sectors?

    All the best

    Darren

    TwisterFreak, Feb 12, 2004
  6. TwisterFreak

    bryan gordon Guest

    helllo
    anti viurs 2003 some times will not detect
    that your email send to you so it wont ask you
    if you want to repair it delete or quarartin the virus
    i would do is any emails that has att have the email
    send to a yahoo or hotmail addres that you have set up
    so you can scan for virus

    bryan
    computer tech
    bryan gordon, Feb 13, 2004
  7. TwisterFreak

    Me Guest

    Can I buy a vowel?

    Me, Feb 13, 2004
  8. TwisterFreak

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:09:12 GMT, "bryan gordon" <> wrote:

    >helllo
    > anti viurs 2003 some times will not detect
    > that your email send to you so it wont ask you
    > if you want to repair it delete or quarartin the virus
    > i would do is any emails that has att have the email
    > send to a yahoo or hotmail addres that you have set up
    > so you can scan for virus
    >
    > bryan
    > computer tech

    Hey, computer tech.
    http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/
    Harrison, Feb 13, 2004
  9. TwisterFreak

    Harrison Guest

    I think they're related.
    http://members.cox.net/donchin/WilliamHung.wmv

    Harrison, Feb 13, 2004
  10. TwisterFreak

    PuppyKatt Guest

    bryan gordon wrote:
    : helllo
    : anti viurs 2003 some times will not detect
    : that your email send to you so it wont ask you
    : if you want to repair it delete or quarartin the virus
    : i would do is any emails that has att have the email
    : send to a yahoo or hotmail addres that you have set up
    : so you can scan for virus
    :
    : bryan
    : computer tech

    You are a computer tech on which planet? The language of your choice
    resembles nothing from this one.
    PuppyKatt, Feb 13, 2004
  11. It was on Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:09:12 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that bryan gordon wrote:

    > helllo
    > anti viurs 2003 some times will not detect that your email send to you
    > so it wont ask you
    > if you want to repair it delete or quarartin the virus i would do is any
    > emails that has att have the email send to a yahoo or hotmail addres that
    > you have set up so you can scan for virus
    >
    > bryan
    > computer tech

    Computer tech???? ROTFL!!!

    --
    Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
    William Poaster, Feb 13, 2004
  12. TwisterFreak spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <402beaaf$0$9750$>

    > Thanks for that guys. Didnt realise that about Nortons 2002.
    > She has uninstalled it and thrown AVG on.
    > So is it possible for a virus to actually cause bad sectors?

    No. Since it's a new drive, IIRC, I suggest, as do others here, to get it
    replaced.

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck_N0i, Feb 13, 2004