Anti-Virus communities lack of support for XP Pro x64 edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack of
    support for XP Pro x64 edition

    Well,
    I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
    with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
    all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus support
    from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or rather
    the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not from
    the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to make
    a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love them
    or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
    they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
    know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
    corporate edition and its price tag when you don’t need or want it). I
    challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can! Force
    them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market with
    a need for a mainstream solution.

    Links:

    Symantec feedback form:
    https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss/support/feedback2.nsf/product feedback

    McAfee feedback form: I don’t know where whey have this feature but I am
    sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 11, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

    warpsix Guest

    Slice wrote:
    > We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack of
    > support for XP Pro x64 edition
    >
    > Well,
    > I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
    > with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
    > all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus support
    > from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or rather
    > the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not from
    > the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to make
    > a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love them
    > or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
    > they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
    > know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
    > corporate edition and its price tag when you don’t need or want it). I
    > challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can! Force
    > them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market with
    > a need for a mainstream solution.
    >
    > Links:
    >
    > Symantec feedback form:
    > https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss/support/feedback2.nsf/product feedback
    >
    > McAfee feedback form: I don’t know where whey have this feature but I am
    > sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it
    >

    I for one am very happy with my NOD32 anti virus.
    symantec lost a lifelong customer by not being ready for windows 64-bit
    edition when I was.not to mention America online lost my $9.99 per month
    for the same reason.I have a long memory and I will not buy from
    corporations that won't keep up or support my products that I have bought.
    I was very forgiving while Windows xp 64bit edition was in beta.but the
    day i bought my version they should've been ready.
     
    warpsix, Nov 11, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    When there is a decent installed base they will respond. For now, even if
    everyone screams, no one (except a midget) can hear. Fact: for little
    companies the extra business may be worth the effort, for major players, its
    rimarily an annoyance and doesn't do anything positive for the bottom line
    (profits).


    "Slice" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack
    > of
    > support for XP Pro x64 edition
    >
    > Well,
    > I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
    > with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
    > all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus
    > support
    > from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or
    > rather
    > the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not
    > from
    > the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to
    > make
    > a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love
    > them
    > or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
    > they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
    > know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
    > corporate edition and its price tag when you don't need or want it). I
    > challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can!
    > Force
    > them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market
    > with
    > a need for a mainstream solution.
    >
    > Links:
    >
    > Symantec feedback form:
    > https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss/support/feedback2.nsf/product feedback
    >
    > McAfee feedback form: I don't know where whey have this feature but I am
    > sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it
    >
     
    John Barnes, Nov 11, 2005
    #3
  4. "warpsix" wrote:
    > I for one am very happy with my NOD32 anti virus.
    > symantec lost a lifelong customer by not being ready for windows 64-bit
    > edition when I was.not to mention America online lost my $9.99 per month
    > for the same reason.I have a long memory and I will not buy from
    > corporations that won't keep up or support my products that I have bought.
    > I was very forgiving while Windows xp 64bit edition was in beta.but the
    > day i bought my version they should've been ready.


    You are correct; they should have been ready with a compatible consumer
    product when XP Pro x64 went gold. Unfortunately they weren’t and this is
    what is angering me. I am glad you have found a new solution but I don’t
    think every one wants to go that same route (I for one have been very happy
    with Symantec’s Norton Anti-Virus and do not wish to change). I think most of
    us would rather just see them release consumer products for x64. I for one
    love Norton anti-virus and have been using it for years with no problems and
    dependable virus protection, so I am not willing to through the baby out with
    the bathwater as they say just because Symantec (and McAfee for that matter
    even though I am not a big McAfee fan) underestimated the anger and
    discontent that has arose because they didn’t (and still don’t) have a
    consumer product available for us x64 users. Anyways, I appreciate your
    comments and I think the “cause†would be better off if you voiced that very
    same opinion to Symantec personally as well. I posted a URL in my original
    topic post that will take you right where you need to go to send feedback to
    Symantec on this very issue.

    Thanks,
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 11, 2005
    #4
  5. The first thing I do with every storebuilt machine that comes into our
    office is take anything from Mcaffee, Symantec or Norton's off of it and
    replace it with AVG or (now) NOD32. It has always puzzled me why these
    products are considered essential for anything other than nagging you into
    buying more of their junk. Just my opinion, of course, but I really don't
    think the 64 bit community is suffering *at all* from the lack of support
    from these programs...


    "Slice" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack

    of
    > support for XP Pro x64 edition
    >
    > Well,
    > I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
    > with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
    > all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus

    support
    > from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or

    rather
    > the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not

    from
    > the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to

    make
    > a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love

    them
    > or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
    > they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
    > know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
    > corporate edition and its price tag when you don't need or want it). I
    > challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can!

    Force
    > them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market

    with
    > a need for a mainstream solution.
    >
    > Links:
    >
    > Symantec feedback form:
    >

    https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss/support/feedback2.nsf/product feedback
    >
    > McAfee feedback form: I don't know where whey have this feature but I am
    > sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it
    >
     
    Dennis Gordon, Nov 11, 2005
    #5
  6. I use eTrust AV 7.1 from Computer Associates and am quite happy with it. I
    have gotten support from CA for running it on x64 and have no concerns. I
    have also used NOD32.

    --
    Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    "Slice" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > "warpsix" wrote:
    >> I for one am very happy with my NOD32 anti virus.
    >> symantec lost a lifelong customer by not being ready for windows 64-bit
    >> edition when I was.not to mention America online lost my $9.99 per month
    >> for the same reason.I have a long memory and I will not buy from
    >> corporations that won't keep up or support my products that I have
    >> bought.
    >> I was very forgiving while Windows xp 64bit edition was in beta.but the
    >> day i bought my version they should've been ready.

    >
    > You are correct; they should have been ready with a compatible consumer
    > product when XP Pro x64 went gold. Unfortunately they weren't and this is
    > what is angering me. I am glad you have found a new solution but I don't
    > think every one wants to go that same route (I for one have been very
    > happy
    > with Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus and do not wish to change). I think most
    > of
    > us would rather just see them release consumer products for x64. I for one
    > love Norton anti-virus and have been using it for years with no problems
    > and
    > dependable virus protection, so I am not willing to through the baby out
    > with
    > the bathwater as they say just because Symantec (and McAfee for that
    > matter
    > even though I am not a big McAfee fan) underestimated the anger and
    > discontent that has arose because they didn't (and still don't) have a
    > consumer product available for us x64 users. Anyways, I appreciate your
    > comments and I think the "cause" would be better off if you voiced that
    > very
    > same opinion to Symantec personally as well. I posted a URL in my original
    > topic post that will take you right where you need to go to send feedback
    > to
    > Symantec on this very issue.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
     
    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 11, 2005
    #6
  7. "John Barnes" wrote:

    > When there is a decent installed base they will respond. For now, even if
    > everyone screams, no one (except a midget) can hear. Fact: for little
    > companies the extra business may be worth the effort, for major players, its
    > rimarily an annoyance and doesn't do anything positive for the bottom line
    > (profits).


    you are correct in you observations based on the current situation (x64
    deployment right now is still low when compared to deployments of XP SP2) but
    what you are not taking into account is the long term effects on sales and
    profits. If Symantec (and McAfee) do not release there software now (or soon)
    they will loose what once were loyal customers (warpsix is a perfect example)
    to other emerging solutions therefore reducing sales, market share, and as
    you so eloquently put it, there “bottom line†or profits. And this
    self-imposed (they could develop and release anytime) trend will not stop
    with XP Pro x64 edition; it will continue on to Vista and operating systems
    after Vista because customers that were once loyal will have a bad taste in
    there mouths over the abandonment felt by many users now. This is just bad
    business on Symantec’s and McAfee’s part. They are making themselves
    venerable to competition by not supporting XP x64 edition and this damage
    will have lasting effects.

    PLUS, we all know that there software isn’t their cash cow, it is the virus
    definition updates that make them the big bucks.

    Also note: that consumer voices can and are a very effective weapon to be
    used in these situations. The more voices they hear from the more they have
    to pay attention to what we are demanding. Don’t underestimate your power as
    a consumer, you vote with your wallet and they certainly pay attention to
    that, so just do me a favor and drop some feed back to Symantec and McAfee
    even if you don’t think it will help, because there is strength in numbers
    and every little bit helps.

    Thanks,
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 11, 2005
    #7
  8. "Dennis Gordon" wrote:

    > The first thing I do with every storebuilt machine that comes into our
    > office is take anything from Mcaffee, Symantec or Norton's off of it and
    > replace it with AVG or (now) NOD32. It has always puzzled me why these
    > products are considered essential for anything other than nagging you into
    > buying more of their junk. Just my opinion, of course, but I really don't
    > think the 64 bit community is suffering *at all* from the lack of support
    > from these programs...


    I disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 11, 2005
    #8
  9. In the mean time, go with whats already out there, NOD32, AVG, and eTrust
    7.1 trial. There is also corporate edition of Norton AntiVirus (v10), which
    cannot be updated through the parent server to support x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    "Slice" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack
    > of
    > support for XP Pro x64 edition
    >
    > Well,
    > I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
    > with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
    > all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus
    > support
    > from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or
    > rather
    > the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not
    > from
    > the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to
    > make
    > a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love
    > them
    > or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
    > they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
    > know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
    > corporate edition and its price tag when you don’t need or want it). I
    > challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can!
    > Force
    > them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market
    > with
    > a need for a mainstream solution.
    >
    > Links:
    >
    > Symantec feedback form:
    > https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss/support/feedback2.nsf/product feedback
    >
    > McAfee feedback form: I don’t know where whey have this feature but I am
    > sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it
    >
     
    Andre Da Costa, Nov 11, 2005
    #9
  10. You are right, of course. Although, personally, I's never impressed by
    anything from Norton. I needed a firewall and stumbled on a bundled offer
    from McAffe and ran that for 90 days, but it couldn't even supress their own
    junk e-mail, so I didn't renew that subscription - otherwise, I rather liked
    it. When I went 64bit, I responded to word in this group about Avast, and
    now I am impressed! The fact alone, that it more or less consistently breaks
    the shutdown process on my system - requiring me to log off, before shutting
    down, and I still like it, that is persuation.

    I am totally sympathetic to meeting incompetence from those that fail their
    supporters, with open discontent, but don't let it ruin your sleep. . .there
    is much to chose from.

    Tony. . .
     
    Tony Sperling, Nov 11, 2005
    #10
  11. "Andre Da Costa" wrote:

    > In the mean time, go with whats already out there, NOD32, AVG, and eTrust
    > 7.1 trial. There is also corporate edition of Norton AntiVirus (v10), which
    > cannot be updated through the parent server to support x64.
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    > FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm


    Well, I know this is a good solution for the meantime but that doesn’t mean
    we shouldn’t voice our outrage to the main players (most notably Symantec and
    McAfee).
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 11, 2005
    #11
  12. I agree with you whole heartedly. But its obvious from the get go that they
    are not going to invest Windows x64 until Vista, no matter what we say or
    do, it all comes down to "money". Microsoft should do a pole on how many
    persons are running Windows x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    "Slice" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > "Andre Da Costa" wrote:
    >
    >> In the mean time, go with whats already out there, NOD32, AVG, and eTrust
    >> 7.1 trial. There is also corporate edition of Norton AntiVirus (v10),
    >> which
    >> cannot be updated through the parent server to support x64.
    >> --
    >> Andre
    >> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    >> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    >> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    >
    > Well, I know this is a good solution for the meantime but that doesn't
    > mean
    > we shouldn't voice our outrage to the main players (most notably Symantec
    > and
    > McAfee).
    >
     
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 11, 2005
    #12
  13. It has already affected my purchasing habits for my x86 installations, so
    the issue certainly goes well beyond just the x64 installed base. The same
    goes for companies like Canon.

    --
    Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    "Slice" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > "John Barnes" wrote:
    >
    >> When there is a decent installed base they will respond. For now, even
    >> if
    >> everyone screams, no one (except a midget) can hear. Fact: for little
    >> companies the extra business may be worth the effort, for major players,
    >> its
    >> rimarily an annoyance and doesn't do anything positive for the bottom
    >> line
    >> (profits).

    >
    > you are correct in you observations based on the current situation (x64
    > deployment right now is still low when compared to deployments of XP SP2)
    > but
    > what you are not taking into account is the long term effects on sales and
    > profits. If Symantec (and McAfee) do not release there software now (or
    > soon)
    > they will loose what once were loyal customers (warpsix is a perfect
    > example)
    > to other emerging solutions therefore reducing sales, market share, and as
    > you so eloquently put it, there "bottom line" or profits. And this
    > self-imposed (they could develop and release anytime) trend will not stop
    > with XP Pro x64 edition; it will continue on to Vista and operating
    > systems
    > after Vista because customers that were once loyal will have a bad taste
    > in
    > there mouths over the abandonment felt by many users now. This is just bad
    > business on Symantec's and McAfee's part. They are making themselves
    > venerable to competition by not supporting XP x64 edition and this damage
    > will have lasting effects.
    >
    > PLUS, we all know that there software isn't their cash cow, it is the
    > virus
    > definition updates that make them the big bucks.
    >
    > Also note: that consumer voices can and are a very effective weapon to be
    > used in these situations. The more voices they hear from the more they
    > have
    > to pay attention to what we are demanding. Don't underestimate your power
    > as
    > a consumer, you vote with your wallet and they certainly pay attention to
    > that, so just do me a favor and drop some feed back to Symantec and McAfee
    > even if you don't think it will help, because there is strength in numbers
    > and every little bit helps.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
     
    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005
    #13
  14. Slice wrote:

    >We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack of
    >support for XP Pro x64 edition
    >
    >Well,
    >I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
    >with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
    >all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus support
    >from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or
    >rather
    >the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not
    >from
    >the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to
    >make
    >a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love them
    >or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
    >they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
    >know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
    >corporate edition and its price tag when you don’t need or want it). I
    >challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can!
    >Force
    >them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market
    >with
    >a need for a mainstream solution.


    Frankly, I prefer it that both Symantec and McAffee don't support x64. The
    sooner these two lame product lines are dead and buried the better.

    I've never spent more time cleaning up systems than when "protected" by
    those two.

    There are several other "mainstream" suppliers that offer perfectly good
    products, and more power to them for being pro-active about supporting x64
    (and other OSs).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
     
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 12, 2005
    #14
  15. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

    > I agree with you whole heartedly. But its obvious from the get go that they
    > are not going to invest Windows x64 until Vista, no matter what we say or
    > do, it all comes down to "money". Microsoft should do a pole on how many
    > persons are running Windows x64.
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    > FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm


    I don’t think they even need to do a pole; they probably already have some
    statistics based on windows activations, although I could be wrong. Another
    possible angle would be to convince Microsoft into using their large amounts
    of influence in the PC industry to put pressure on the anti-virus companies
    into developing for x64 edition or perhaps even frighten them into doing it
    by threatening to get into the anti-virus business if they don’t (Microsoft
    has already got its fingers in anti-spy ware so it really isn’t that big of a
    jump to get into the anti-virus business from there).

    Slice
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 12, 2005
    #15
  16. "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > Frankly, I prefer it that both Symantec and McAffee don't support x64. The
    > sooner these two lame product lines are dead and buried the better.
    >
    > I've never spent more time cleaning up systems than when "protected" by
    > those two.
    >
    > There are several other "mainstream" suppliers that offer perfectly good
    > products, and more power to them for being pro-active about supporting x64
    > (and other OSs).
    >
    > --
    > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    > ---------------------------------------
    > MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
    >


    I disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 12, 2005
    #16
  17. =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't use either Norton or McAfee, but it is beyond me why anyone would
    actually pay for those products or their virus updates. Every year their
    newest products are sold at numerous vendors (such as Buy.com) where after
    the rebates it is free.
    Does somebody actually pay for the next years updates instead of installing
    the latest product which comes with a years updates?
    I am upset that Trend Micro doesn't support x64, but when they do, I will
    buy it and I note that Charlie is waiting for his 40 license buy.
    I also WON'T buy another Canon.
    As important as we would like to feel, we really are a TINY tick on a whales
    back.


    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > It has already affected my purchasing habits for my x86 installations, so
    > the issue certainly goes well beyond just the x64 installed base. The
    > same goes for companies like Canon.
    >
    > --
    > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > "Slice" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >>
    >> "John Barnes" wrote:
    >>
    >>> When there is a decent installed base they will respond. For now, even
    >>> if
    >>> everyone screams, no one (except a midget) can hear. Fact: for little
    >>> companies the extra business may be worth the effort, for major players,
    >>> its
    >>> rimarily an annoyance and doesn't do anything positive for the bottom
    >>> line
    >>> (profits).

    >>
    >> you are correct in you observations based on the current situation (x64
    >> deployment right now is still low when compared to deployments of XP SP2)
    >> but
    >> what you are not taking into account is the long term effects on sales
    >> and
    >> profits. If Symantec (and McAfee) do not release there software now (or
    >> soon)
    >> they will loose what once were loyal customers (warpsix is a perfect
    >> example)
    >> to other emerging solutions therefore reducing sales, market share, and
    >> as
    >> you so eloquently put it, there "bottom line" or profits. And this
    >> self-imposed (they could develop and release anytime) trend will not stop
    >> with XP Pro x64 edition; it will continue on to Vista and operating
    >> systems
    >> after Vista because customers that were once loyal will have a bad taste
    >> in
    >> there mouths over the abandonment felt by many users now. This is just
    >> bad
    >> business on Symantec's and McAfee's part. They are making themselves
    >> venerable to competition by not supporting XP x64 edition and this damage
    >> will have lasting effects.
    >>
    >> PLUS, we all know that there software isn't their cash cow, it is the
    >> virus
    >> definition updates that make them the big bucks.
    >>
    >> Also note: that consumer voices can and are a very effective weapon to be
    >> used in these situations. The more voices they hear from the more they
    >> have
    >> to pay attention to what we are demanding. Don't underestimate your power
    >> as
    >> a consumer, you vote with your wallet and they certainly pay attention to
    >> that, so just do me a favor and drop some feed back to Symantec and
    >> McAfee
    >> even if you don't think it will help, because there is strength in
    >> numbers
    >> and every little bit helps.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >
    >
     
    John Barnes, Nov 12, 2005
    #17
  18. =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree, but think of all the work they provide to marginally competent
    technicians removing the products. They always have a 2-3 page instruction
    to manually remove it that most consumers don't want to attempt.


    "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Slice wrote:
    >
    >>We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack
    >>of
    >>support for XP Pro x64 edition
    >>
    >>Well,
    >>I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
    >>with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
    >>all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus
    >>support
    >>from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or
    >>rather
    >>the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not
    >>from
    >>the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to
    >>make
    >>a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love
    >>them
    >>or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
    >>they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
    >>know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
    >>corporate edition and its price tag when you don't need or want it). I
    >>challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can!
    >>Force
    >>them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market
    >>with
    >>a need for a mainstream solution.

    >
    > Frankly, I prefer it that both Symantec and McAffee don't support x64. The
    > sooner these two lame product lines are dead and buried the better.
    >
    > I've never spent more time cleaning up systems than when "protected" by
    > those two.
    >
    > There are several other "mainstream" suppliers that offer perfectly good
    > products, and more power to them for being pro-active about supporting x64
    > (and other OSs).
    >
    > --
    > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    > ---------------------------------------
    > MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
     
    John Barnes, Nov 12, 2005
    #18
  19. =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Forgot to mention that even Microsoft doesn't think it is worth bothering
    with x64. Have you seen any of their hardware products supported? They
    know how small the installed base is and they don't care.


    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > It has already affected my purchasing habits for my x86 installations, so
    > the issue certainly goes well beyond just the x64 installed base. The
    > same goes for companies like Canon.
    >
    > --
    > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > "Slice" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >>
    >> "John Barnes" wrote:
    >>
    >>> When there is a decent installed base they will respond. For now, even
    >>> if
    >>> everyone screams, no one (except a midget) can hear. Fact: for little
    >>> companies the extra business may be worth the effort, for major players,
    >>> its
    >>> rimarily an annoyance and doesn't do anything positive for the bottom
    >>> line
    >>> (profits).

    >>
    >> you are correct in you observations based on the current situation (x64
    >> deployment right now is still low when compared to deployments of XP SP2)
    >> but
    >> what you are not taking into account is the long term effects on sales
    >> and
    >> profits. If Symantec (and McAfee) do not release there software now (or
    >> soon)
    >> they will loose what once were loyal customers (warpsix is a perfect
    >> example)
    >> to other emerging solutions therefore reducing sales, market share, and
    >> as
    >> you so eloquently put it, there "bottom line" or profits. And this
    >> self-imposed (they could develop and release anytime) trend will not stop
    >> with XP Pro x64 edition; it will continue on to Vista and operating
    >> systems
    >> after Vista because customers that were once loyal will have a bad taste
    >> in
    >> there mouths over the abandonment felt by many users now. This is just
    >> bad
    >> business on Symantec's and McAfee's part. They are making themselves
    >> venerable to competition by not supporting XP x64 edition and this damage
    >> will have lasting effects.
    >>
    >> PLUS, we all know that there software isn't their cash cow, it is the
    >> virus
    >> definition updates that make them the big bucks.
    >>
    >> Also note: that consumer voices can and are a very effective weapon to be
    >> used in these situations. The more voices they hear from the more they
    >> have
    >> to pay attention to what we are demanding. Don't underestimate your power
    >> as
    >> a consumer, you vote with your wallet and they certainly pay attention to
    >> that, so just do me a favor and drop some feed back to Symantec and
    >> McAfee
    >> even if you don't think it will help, because there is strength in
    >> numbers
    >> and every little bit helps.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >
    >
     
    John Barnes, Nov 12, 2005
    #19
  20. "John Barnes" wrote:

    > Forgot to mention that even Microsoft doesn't think it is worth bothering
    > with x64. Have you seen any of their hardware products supported? They
    > know how small the installed base is and they don't care.


    You are correct that we are a small portion of Microsoft’s install base for
    the moment but we are actually probably the most vocal as far as community
    interaction, product development, and feedback goes. I don’t think anyone
    except the big players in the anti-virus world have forgotten/forsaken us,
    especially not Microsoft. I know many hardware makers, especially printer
    manufactures that are rushing to port drivers to x64 (often assisted by
    Microsoft), and why do you think they are doing so? The simple answer is
    Vista. They want to be ready to role with good drivers/software when Vista
    débuts late next year. Other software makers are also making positive strides
    to make their current 32-bit apps compatible with x64 wile they work at
    developing native x64 software, for example all the new adobe 32-bit apps
    that I run have had no problems and are fully functional under XP Pro x64
    edition (Photoshop elements 4.0, premier elements 2.0, and acrobat reader)
    wile people running earlier versions of these very same adobe apps reported
    problems (adobe is making positive movements forward by assuring x64
    compatibility with their new 32-bit apps). The main point being is that most
    every one in the industry is at least taking positive steps towards the x64
    migration (not necessarily explicitly for the current XP Pro x64 Edition user
    base but for future Vista users). This is true of most of the industry except
    the main stream anti-virus makers that is (if they don’t start developing
    now, Vista anti-virus apps will be a rush job to play catch up with the
    smaller players who have been developing x64 compatible apps for
    approximately 2 years when vista turns up in the retail channels).

    Slice

    P.S. Most of the x64 development being done now is more or less preparation
    to assure a smooth vista rollout, and those anti-virus companies who are not
    working on x64 products will more then likely have more problems in their
    software then those who are currently working to support the current x64
    install base.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 12, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Stephen Boursy

    Lack of Support

    Stephen Boursy, Mar 10, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    558
    Justin
    Mar 11, 2005
  2. Silverback

    Spam and ISP lack of support

    Silverback, Feb 6, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    662
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
    Feb 6, 2005
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    805
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQnVzaA==?=

    Anti Virus Support + Japanese character support

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQnVzaA==?=, Jul 30, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    563
    =?Utf-8?B?SGVjdG9y?=
    Jul 31, 2005
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,236
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page