    downloading software or loading floppies onto it that come from other
    people. I may connect to the internet now and then.

    Thanks, Rudy

    Rudy Lopez, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Rudy Lopez

    AG Guest

    "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I just configured an old laptop (Dell Latitude LM Pentium 133MHz -
    > 72MB RAM) to use mainly as a secondary computer when I am not at home.
    >
    > Do you think Norton AV 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2003 will be
    > compatible with Windows 98 SE?
    >
    > Is there a better choice?
    >
    > For years I only had Windows 95 on the laptop and I ran into an awful
    > lot of compatibilty issues.
    >
    > I'm looking to go cheap on the laptop. I will probably not be
    > downloading software or loading floppies onto it that come from other
    > people. I may connect to the internet now and then.
    >
    > Thanks, Rudy

    IMHO if you are using dial up you can leave off the firewall. The other day
    I went to the Sygate firewall site using my home computer and Mozilla
    Firefox. According to their firewall test mine is blocking everything that
    is should. I don't have a firewall on that PC. I do have Norton AV 2002
    that has been updated.
    If your dialing up Win98 just doesn't have the vulnerabilities that XP has
    because it just doesn't listen to the ports that the NT based XP does.
    Also, if you're on dial up you are a moving target. Every time you connect
    your IP address changes so there is no easy anyone can find you.
    I'll also say that Mozilla make quite a difference. It just doesn't have
    the vulnerabilities that IE has.
    AG

    AG, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Rudy Lopez

    Rudy Lopez Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:57:45 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >You will be fine with AV, and probably with firewall but I'm not
    >absolutely certain.

    I've certainly been happy with them (NAV 2003 and NPFW 2003) running
    under Windows 2k Pro.

    I've had bad experiences with AV software in the past. McAfeee brought
    an old NT4 machine to a crawl and I had to do a complete OS re-install
    onto a clean HD.

    The reviews over at cNet are filled with horror stories. But you never
    know if those people have an agenda (or what condition the machine was
    in at the time of the install).

    The Win 98 SE laptop is in fairly pristine condition. I just installed
    updated drivers/utilities, Office 97, Acrobat, Winzip 7 and some
    Transcenders. ..Oh and Fritz 7 from Chessbase :)

    Ok...it's not that pristine. At least it hasn't been corrupted with IE
    6 yet.

    Rudy Lopez, Sep 29, 2004
  4. "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    > I just configured an old laptop (Dell Latitude LM Pentium 133MHz -
    > 72MB RAM) to use mainly as a secondary computer when I am not at home.
    >
    > Do you think Norton AV 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2003 will be
    > compatible with Windows 98 SE?
    >
    > Is there a better choice?
    >
    > For years I only had Windows 95 on the laptop and I ran into an awful
    > lot of compatibilty issues.
    >
    > I'm looking to go cheap on the laptop. I will probably not be
    > downloading software or loading floppies onto it that come from other
    > people. I may connect to the internet now and then.
    >
    > Thanks, Rudy

    Why not run a Linux distro that has a built in firewall for starters, it
    will
    probably detect all devices so you won't need to dig for drivers,
    it would also have any app you would need for surfing the web anyway...
    and would probably run pretty well on that processor... Oh yeah and its
    free...

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «bonehead;\), Sep 29, 2004
  5. Rudy Lopez

    Rudy Lopez Guest

    >Why not run a Linux distro that has a built in firewall for starters, it
    >will
    >probably detect all devices so you won't need to dig for drivers,
    >it would also have any app you would need for surfing the web anyway...
    >and would probably run pretty well on that processor... Oh yeah and its
    >free...

    At some point in the future I may use this laptop for running Linux,
    esp. if I get a newer laptop for running Windows XP or whatever.

    The reason I am not running Linux on this laptop right now is that I
    intend to use the laptop for running Transcender test simulation
    software for an A+ hopefully followed up by an MCSE.

    (I already have a Network+ and a couple of NT4 MCP certs).

    I really *hate* how expensive Microsoft software is, but when you need
    it, you need it.

    There's not too much demand for linux at the company where I work...

    Rudy Lopez, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Rudy Lopez

    Rudy Lopez Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 05:05:26 GMT, xmp <> wrote:

    >I would run a very lightweight firewall and antivirus with such an old
    >machine. You could run on-demand scanner and skip the resident scanner.
    > Windows 98 SE doesn't run a lot of services anyway.
    >
    >michael

    I was thinking of the free version of f-prot. It's DOS based.

    Rudy Lopez, Sep 29, 2004