Anti-theft precautions!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Craven Birds, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    Craven Birds, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Craven Birds

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:12:48 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:

    >Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
    >unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?
    >
    >Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba and

    No comment.

    >have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

    Yes.

    There is also software which can encrypt disk contents, requiring a
    password to run.

    Maybe a finger print reader.

    www.google.com
    Searched the web for
    notebook security
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,670,000. Search took 0.21 seconds.
    see the keyword hits on the right for sites like
    http://www.pcguardiananti-theft.com/

    Using http://uk.insight.com to lookup options.
    Enter notebook security into the search box.

    Start off with one of the cable bolted to desk security kits. Try and
    reduce possibility of it getting stolen first.

    Or the mobile, loop around a large object version.
    Belkin Notebook C100 - Security cable lock
    Product Code: BELNA03A0Y

    Alarm.
    Targus Defcon 1 Ultra - Security cable lock - black
    Product Code: TARAA02L6T
    a lock slot adapter that fits into the security slot found on most
    notebook computers, a 105-decibel alarm and a motion sensor with
    adjustable sensitivity. The retractable steel cable is run through the
    computer lock slot adapter, and around a fixed object (such as a desk)
    and back

    Byte Brothers Universal CD ROM and Diskette Lock - Security lock
    Product Code: BYBAA02RK5
    The DKL003 Universal CD ROM and Diskette Lock fits all CD-ROMs and
    diskette drives. Super Bond adhesive bonds lock to the outside of the
    drive. This allows media to remain operational while protecting it from
    theft.

    Kit.
    Byte Brothers X-Lock BB4HD-X - System security kit
    Product Code: BYBIA02S72
    The kit includes cable, resetable combination lock, travel pouch, a
    separate X-Clip bracket and a Byte Brothers Worldwide Registry Property
    Tag.

    Or only enter, 'security' the notebook and handheld section has 80+
    hits.

    Me

    why?, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    > On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:12:48 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:
    >
    > >Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
    > >unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?
    > >
    > >Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba and

    > No comment.
    >
    > >have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

    > Yes.
    >
    > There is also software which can encrypt disk contents, requiring a
    > password to run.
    >
    > Maybe a finger print reader.

    You misunderstood the post I don't need security cable et al. So not
    relevant. Software options are required! I've now set my password and I
    won't forget it like a lot of posters seem to do :-0

    Craven Birds, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Craven Birds

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:27:46 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:

    >> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:12:48 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
    >> >unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?
    >> >
    >> >Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba and

    >> No comment.
    >>
    >> >have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> There is also software which can encrypt disk contents, requiring a
    >> password to run.
    >>
    >> Maybe a finger print reader.

    >You misunderstood the post I don't need security cable et al. So not

    Don't assume what I didn't miss or not. Preventing the theft in the
    first place, makes a lot of sense.

    Try www.google.com as I mentioned, with an example shown!

    why?, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Craven Birds

    Rud Guest

    "Craven Birds" <> wrote in message

    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    > >
    > > On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:12:48 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:
    > >
    > > >Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
    > > >unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?
    > > >
    > > >Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba

    and

    > > No comment.
    > >
    > > >have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

    > > Yes.
    > >
    > > There is also software which can encrypt disk contents, requiring a
    > > password to run.
    > >
    > > Maybe a finger print reader.

    > You misunderstood the post I don't need security cable et al. So not
    > relevant. Software options are required! I've now set my password and I
    > won't forget it like a lot of posters seem to do :-0

    Setting a bios password will only stop them using for about 10 minutes, if
    that, as it can easily be reset. The best bet is to go for the option that
    why? described, encryptinging the disk contents so that it requires a
    password to run.

    Rud, Feb 1, 2004